3000 or 3 months

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have only frequented this forum a few weeks. I feel like I am the only one that still changes oil every 3000 or 3 months. I have put over 200K on trucks so has my father using the hated fram filter and Pennsoil regular oil.. I am running Max life in my 03 Silverado it has 92K I still change my oil every 3 months because I rarely reach 3000. Does any one else still do this after reading so many posts I feel its over kill.

Last edited:
I still do 3 month OCI. I do lots of short trip. ( under 3 miles) And lots of idling in the winter with few drives long enough to burn out the fuel and moisture. I believe this is the best for my driving.

Originally Posted By: live_to_hunt
Does any one else still do this

Growing up in Europe, I've actually never done such frequent oil changes. I'm doing 7k miles or 12 months now, and even that is probably overkill, considering my UOA results.

I myself do lots of short trips my work is 3 miles away several times during the day I have to run out to other buildings and the store. I am rarely on the High way.

I once did 3k mile oil changes with Pennzoil YB, but sometimes it took a year or more to reach that mileage, at 10 years I had done seven oil changes, that was my old Jeep that I still have.

These days I use synthetic only, and only when on sale, and go 4k to 7k, six months to a year, Ive never paid more than $4.50 a qt, and that was for GC. Recently I purchased 4 5 qt jugs of Quaker state Horse Power, for $11 each thats way cheaper than YB Pennzoil conventional.

without uoa and with standard oils, you can likely still go over 3/3000, but its no big deal to just change it every 3/3000.

Its just throwing away money... its not a bad decision, and you can be sure of the protection level.

Especailly with syn, UOA, and the general interest on this site, many wont do 3/3000... but many will.

Your drain plug threads might wear out by going 3 months/3,000 miles, but your engine certainly will not
19.gif

Quote:
I have put over 200K on trucks so has my father using the hated fram filter and Pennsoil regular oil

Well...in that time Pennzoil has had two or three different owners and Fram three or four different owners. The oil has been through at least eleven improvements (API Service Category SA through the current SM) and another expected in about a year. While the oil has gotten better each time, Fram filters seem to have been cheapened by each owner.

It is no problem to change your oil by the vehicle's Oil Life Monitor if it has one. If not, 5000 miles or one year is a good plan, with six month intervals if the engine is operated for very short intervals where it never has a chance to get fully warmed. The engineers who developed the oil life monitors know much, much more about oils and engines than all of us put together. Also, the engine maker is on the hook for 100,000 miles of engine life through either the factory warranty or the so-called extended warranties buyers purchased.

live_to_hunt,

I do it with my favorite synthetic Mobil 1. Everyone still rags on me for wasting the good oil but who cares! My car my oil my money and my Dodge Durango 01' is running great. NO leaks what so ever since bought new.

Durango

Originally Posted By: Durango
live_to_hunt,

I do it with my favorite synthetic Mobil 1. Everyone still rags on me for wasting the good oil but who cares! My car my oil my money and my Dodge Durango 01' is running great. NO leaks what so ever since bought new.

Durango

I used to be like that.

I'd go nuts just trying to maintain that service interval nowadays.
crazy2.gif

My 1994 Lexus LS400 always have 6m/6-7k with dino and 12m/12-14k with syn since new. It has more than 240k miles and engine still run great with no oil leak.

Its early life had SF and SG dino oils and no sludge can be seen from the oil fill hole. Current SM oil is much better, I see no reason for 3m/3k OCI in most cars, unless it is required by car manufacture.

My parents and I do a mixture of short trips and highway on the Saturn and the Toyota van.

I still change the oil and filter every 7500 miles or annually, whichever comes first, with conventional oil.

Unless you operating conditions consists of excessive idling (e.g. police use), there is no need to change it more frequently unless your manual or the OLM says to.

I stated this before....Since the kids are gone, my wife and I only put on 3000 miles in six months on each of our vehicles. Most of our trips are around town. Slow driving with an occasional blast down the highway from one on ramp to the next off ramp. Im changing the oil/filter @ 6mo 3k.

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
I do 6 months/5k miles. been doing it for years since I found this forum for dino oil.

I also do 6 month intervals with dino in my wife's car. I do it at the beginning of May and the beginning of November. Because we take a few more longer trips in the summer, the May to Nov interval usually ends up being 5000 to 5500 miles, while the Nov to May interval ends up being closer to 4000 or 4500 miles. But that works out well since the cold winter is a little harder on the oil anyhow.

I have a 1986 truck with 301,000 miles on it. It has lived its life on 3000 OCI, and 15W-50 synthetic for the last 260,000 miles. It is still in use.

I have a 1999 Chevrolet Cavalier that just turned 210,000 miles Sunday. The day it came home from the dealer, it got M1 15W-50, engine oil and full synthetic automatic transmission fluid. it lives on a 3000 OCI.

I use WIX filters for everything.

Going back to just 1990,(1988 if you let me count a carryover) myself, my wife, two daughters, two son in laws, have near 2,000,000 miles on 3000 OCI with full synthetic oil. Never an engine problem. I have 517,000 miles sitting in my driveway and garage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back