300 hp Vortec 6000 V8 engine, what oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone, I just put an order in for a 2004 Chevrolet Express 3500 Cargo van and it will have the 300 hp Vortec 6000 V8 engine in it.
smile.gif

I will be using dino oil for the first 2 oil changes and i'll be switching to synthetic after that. I'll be doing a lot of miles (30k-40k/year)and want to assure myself i will get the most mileage out of this engine.
What synthetic oil should I use for this engine?
Thank you.

I would try Mobil 1 or GC, and do a UOA. If everything looks OK and there is no consumption, then I would stick with it.
smile.gif
There are many other good synthetics (amsoil, redline, RP, schaeffer's, etc), but I don't know what is available to you.

I have a 2000 GMC Sierra with the Vortec 5.3, similar to the Vortec 6.0.

Due to concern for me extreme cold temps, I run Mobil 1 0W-30 in winter and Mobil 1 10W-30 in summer.

This combination seems to work well for my truck. Average of 1 quart oil every 4,200 miles on the Mobil 1 0W-30, 1 quart every 6,800 miles on the Mobil 1 10W-30.

I will also be trying the new Mobil 1 "Truck and SUV" 5W-40 this summer. Hope for better oil consumption and better engine protection.

Jerry

Might want to check out Shell Rotella T 5w-40 Synthetic. I will be using it in my 1992 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 (twin turbo). I hear extremely good things about this oil.

quote:

Originally posted by heyjay:
I have a 2000 GMC Sierra with the Vortec 5.3, similar to the Vortec 6.0.

Due to concern for me extreme cold temps, I run Mobil 1 0W-30 in winter and Mobil 1 10W-30 in summer.

This combination seems to work well for my truck. Average of 1 quart oil every 4,200 miles on the Mobil 1 0W-30, 1 quart every 6,800 miles on the Mobil 1 10W-30.

I will also be trying the new Mobil 1 "Truck and SUV" 5W-40 this summer. Hope for better oil consumption and better engine protection.

Jerry

I'm going to be recieving delivery of this truck in late March and I'm probably going to go with Delvac 1 or the Mobil 1 Truck & SUV.
Are they the same?

Well Tommy, from what I've seen they "appear" to be the same oil.

Delvac 1 5W-40 is badged for commercial use and indicates the appropriate HD diesel specs, including CI-4 and Cummins spec (I need CES 20078). The oil also is dual-certified to SL spec for gasoline service.

In the U.S. the smallest container is a gallon jug, about 3.78 litre. In Canada, something like Wally World (Wal-Mart) carries it in 4 litre jugs.

Mobil 1 Truck and SUV 5W-40 makes mention of "generic" HD diesel spec CI-4, and SL for gasoline motors. It comes in 1 quart bottles so that's a lot handier for a "small" truck.

Ever try to fill a passenger truck or car with a 4 litre jug or, God Help You, a 20 litre pail??

Anyway, Mobil 1 Truck and SUV is mentioned in this forum and somebody was nice enough to post a high-res photo. It certainly looks like Delvac 1, since no other Mobil 1 product carries the CI-4 spec.

Mobil 1 0W-40, rated B4-02, is designed for certain light-duty European diesel motors and some high-performance European gassers like Porsche and BMW. It's only rated CF so there is no current North American diesel motor you could use it in.

Like I mentioned, although I use Mobil 1 10W-30 in summer, I do plan on using either Delvac 1 or Mobil 1 Truck and SUV starting in April. I have a couple of trips planned to Utah and Nevada in June and August, so that should give the oil a fine workout.

Anybody have any thoughts on this??

Jerry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back