300,000 mile Ford 2.7 Ecoboost V6 on Normal Maintenance ...

Odometer pic: https://www.f150forum.com/f118/100-000-mile-2-7-a-389552/index12/#post6292982

Thread start: https://www.f150forum.com/f118/100-000-mile-2-7-a-389552/

Guy is 6k from turning 300,000 on his 2016 F-150 w/ the 2.7 liter twin turbo V6 with just normal maintenance. Not bad. As these engines begin to age we'll see if these known high milers right now are unicorns or if this can be considered common.

Claims to have been achieved on Ford 5W30 syn blend and oem filters as specified in the manual. What's interesting is says that the engine stop/start feature we all know and love (not) has never been turned off when driving (Ford has a button on dash to turn it off if desired). BUT this truck it seems we're talking looong highway mile use more than suburban/town/city use so stop/start durability issues on the starter and etc might not be a good example.

At any rate it does seem to put one on the board against the mantra that small displacement highly stressed/boosted engines are all going to blow up early especially in a truck application. The work description sounds like small/lightweight expedited cargo delivery so not heavy duty work.

I wonder what shape the backside of the intake valves are and if he had to have them cleaned at any point. For me, the potential issues with Direct Injection far outweigh any issues with high power density and turbochargers.

That's pretty good buy I'm not terribly impressed since its only been 3 years. Highway miles are about as easy as it gets on a vehicle.

Originally Posted by sw99
That's pretty good buy I'm not terribly impressed since its only been 3 years. Highway miles are about as easy as it gets on a vehicle.

No kidding. That thing logged 100,000 miles per year. It's no wonder the stop/start feature was never turned off. The vehicle was never stopped long enough for it be necessary.

That darned thing ran 5 hours per day, every single day per year. That doesn't afford many cold starts. Regardless, 300,000 miles is a long distance. While the engine did well I'd love to know how often he changed the brakes (probably on the originals), coolant, transmission fluid, brake fluid, tires, air filter/cabin air filter, etc.

That guy went to the moon and is on his way home about now.

Even more impressive than the miles on his truck is his claim of putting 130,000 miles on the OEM Michelin's!

The tire argument is classic forum form.

Encouraging, although its been pointed out this is a high mile vehicle - it has comparatively low hours.

UD

Not really all that spectacular. It has to be almost all high speed highway cruising. Pretty easy miles, and not something to crow about.

Originally Posted by gman2304
Even more impressive than the miles on his truck is his claim of putting 130,000 miles on the OEM Michelin's!

Not surprising at all. The tires were run on the highway with very little city driving. Assuming the truck was in decent alignment there's no reason a quality set of tires shouldn't last a long time under those conditions. I've had a couple different sets go double the manufacturer's mileage when the driving was almost all straight line interstate.
Most of the wear comes from cornering or poor alignment.

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
I wonder what shape the backside of the intake valves are and if he had to have them cleaned at any point. For me, the potential issues with Direct Injection far outweigh any issues with high power density and turbochargers.

Ford uses a combo of port injection and direct injection on these engines. The port injectors may assist in keeping intake valves cleaner.

Both of my EB F150's have been completely trouble free. Ford really did a good job testing these engines for durability. When well maintained, they last and perform. What's not to love?

Members here who remain convinced these engines can't last are incorrect. Period, end of story.

I have 105k on my gen 1 3.5eb now. While that is not amazing it still runs as good as day 1. It has a lot of towing highway miles and the rest is around town. I go by the oil change monitor and use either Castrol 0w40 or Valvoline 15w40. Oil reports on every change in the uoa section. I'm a fan

Last edited:
Ecoboost design has proven it's a success story. Lots of 3.5's on road logging tons of miles without issues. I loved mine as well, I too am a huge fan of the Ecoboost engines !!💪ðŸ¼ðŸ‡ºðŸ‡¸

Last edited:
I believe this is going to be norm versus what the naysayers fear. Not just for ford but most other T-GDI and GDI producers alike if well maintained.

Kudos to Ford in this instance for sure.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by LoneRanger
Odometer pic: https://www.f150forum.com/f118/100-000-mile-2-7-a-389552/index12/#post6292982

Guy is 6k from turning 300,000 on his 2016 F-150 w/ the 2.7 liter twin turbo V6 with just normal maintenance. Not bad. As these engines begin to age we'll see if these known high milers right now are unicorns or if this can be considered common.

Claims to have been achieved on Ford 5W30 syn blend and oem filters as specified in the manual. What's interesting is says that the engine stop/start feature we all know and love (not) has never been turned off when driving (Ford has a button on dash to turn it off if desired). BUT this truck it seems we're talking looong highway mile use more than suburban/town/city use so stop/start durability issues on the starter and etc might not be a good example.

At any rate it does seem to put one on the board against the mantra that small displacement highly stressed/boosted engines are all going to blow up early especially in a truck application. The work description sounds like small/lightweight expedited cargo delivery so not heavy duty work.

While impressive I'd love to see how it would have done as a Long Island commuter vehicle where traveling 20 miles can take 90 minutes or more. Or a 20 mile ride into NYC can take 2-3 hours. Long highway miles are the best possible miles a vehicle can be driven. I'm willing to bet the driving conditions I described would be a game changer, and probably a suspension killer too. Oh and the ESS, I wonder if the owner would have opted to push the button and shut it off.

FTR these comments are coming from a long time Ford owner.

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD

Ford uses a combo of port injection and direct injection on these engines. The port injectors may assist in keeping intake valves cleaner.

Except they did not have both on the 2.7 until the 2018 model year. 2015 to 2017 has only DI. I have not seen any reports of intake deposits being an issue on these engines to date, despite tons of claims that it would be a problem.

And before anyone trots out that the inclusion of both PI and DI means there was an issue, recognize that emissions standards did requiring cleaning up the fine soot from the DI Turbocharged engines and adding port injection to these engines accomplished that.

Originally Posted by demarpaint

While impressive I'd love to see how it would have done as a Long Island commuter vehicle where traveling 20 miles can take 90 minutes or more. Or a 20 mile ride into NYC can take 2-3 hours. Long highway miles are the best possible miles a vehicle can be driven. I'm willing to bet the driving conditions I described would be a game changer, and probably a suspension killer too. Oh and the ESS, I wonder if the owner would have opted to push the button and shut it off.

You offered an equally unusual or non-standard scenario of operation for most vehicles in the average owner's driving routine. I'm not sure what that hypothetical is meant to prove? What is offered by the linked thread is actual real world proof of durability.

Casting doubt justified by a hypothetical seems like shakey ground.

"What if" against something real is rarely a strong argument.

Mileage is wear and tear, no way around that !!!
smile.gif

Originally Posted by sw99

Pretty much what I was thinking . That many miles in that time period . Defiantly not typical for most cars on the road .

Originally Posted by demarpaint

You offered an equally unusual or non-standard scenario of operation for most vehicles in the average owner's driving routine. I'm not sure what that hypothetical is meant to prove? What is offered by the linked thread is actual real world proof of durability.

Casting doubt justified by a hypothetical seems like shakey ground.

"What if" against something real is rarely a strong argument.

Mileage is wear and tear, no way around that !!!
smile.gif

The vehicle went 300k on about the lowest possible engine hours. That would qualify as non-standard scenario of operation.

Time will tell, but so far the outlook looks promising for this engine. The same cannot be said about their smaller cousins like the 2.0L and 2.3L

Back