30 weight dino vs. 10w-30 synthetic for generator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver
Originally Posted By: Carbon12
A typical PCMO 10w30 has an HTHS viscosity of about 3.1cP. I have occasionally seen HTHS values for SAE 30 around 3.6 cP. This is likely why the SAE 30 is recommended for the higher temps. In my opinion an oil with an HTHS of 3.1 is too thin for the heat you may encounter in summer where you are.

As a compromise I am running Rotella 10w30 synthetic blend in my generator (emergency power) since 10w30 HDEOs usually have an HTHS of 3.5. After I get a few more hours on it I plan to switch to a 0w40 synthetic for the 3.6 - 3.7 HTHS

I appreciate you citing specific reasons for your advice but this poster lives in Houston so there is zero advantage to a 0w40, right?

Higher grades (sae40) have higher HTHS numbers.....so IF that is not benificial enough for you then.......?

My choice for AIR cooled OPE is always synthetic + sae 40 (5w40 is the most commonly available oil here in EU)

Thanks for all the feedback. You guys are great and this forum is awesome. I plan to break in my generator with the SAE 30 that's already in it, then fill it with Pennzoil Platinum synthetic 10w-30 that I have on hand, then switch to synthetic 15w-40 for the long haul. The silly thing is I'll probably never put more than 100 hours on the generator.

Pretty good choice. Do update us on any noted differences between the sae 30 and pp 10w30.

I am curious to know !

Late to the party here, but I would second the nomination for a good 15w40 in your climate. Rather than think about how many hours this generator might see in a lifetime, you might want to think about how many hours it will need to run continuously when the next big storm hits your area. Hopefully that storm will never come, but this is all about being prepared. I live about 80 miles from the ocean and 65 miles from the Delaware Bay, and yet I lost power for 43 hours during Hurricane Sandy. Hurricanes are quite uncommon here as opposed to Houston, if you are following my logic.

Your location will never demand anything lighter than SAE 15 for startup, but will frequently demand SAE 40 for continuous operations. Have a look at you owner's manual and see where the 30 weight oils top out, then ask yourself "does it get hotter here?"

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: MarkLTX
I like the idea of a multi-grade oil, e.g. 10w-30, to get better flow at startup.

There will be NO "start-up flow issues" in Houston.

I use 15W-40 HDEO (Shell Rotella, Chevron Delo) in all air cooled engines.

As someone that ran a small engine shop in a similar climate to the OP, this is the correct answer.

15W40 is robust and cheap. I'd rate it as a better product in a stationary generator than any passenger car synthetic 10W30(in our climate).

Also, the oil change interval on almost all cheaper generators is 50 hours without oil filter, and usually 100 or 200 hours if the engine has an oil filter. The 15W40 also has a higher margin of safety if you get lax on the oil change requirements. I personally would never use a 30 weight in a southern climate in a stationary generator. 30 weight is barely adequate IF the engine is maintained. We all know that a larger percentage of the population dont maintain their equipment and hardly anyone would actually change their generator oil in an extended power outage every 50 or 100 hours as the manual calls for.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime

I personally would never use a 30 weight in a southern climate in a stationary generator. 30 weight is barely adequate IF the engine is maintained. We all know that a larger percentage of the population dont maintain their equipment and hardly anyone would actually change their generator oil in an extended power outage every 50 or 100 hours as the manual calls for.

Speak it. I'm surprised how many people are still hanging on to that old 30 weight oil. Time to throw out straight 30 weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back