30,000 mile drains, police cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems so ... used oil gets recycled and sold at dollar stores.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
There's a better way to get the same results...invented by a wicked smart fella named Miro Kefurt.

Linky

Has Synlube been tried by folks here? I didn't get anywhere with the search function for the forum.

Originally Posted By: DeafBrad

Has Synlube been tried by folks here? I didn't get anywhere with the search function for the forum.

My question exactly...I guess acid production must not be an issue when using SynLube, unless it somehow has infinite TBN?
Fascinating, but I'm going to let somebody else do the field testing...

There's a better way to get the same results...invented by a wicked smart fella named Miro Kefurt.

Linky

Yes and I think it's just a cheap con job!

Extending an OCI beyond the max recommended without doing a UOA to check for real world results is nuts, but both the Snylube and Amsoil clowns suggest doing just that.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi

My question exactly...I guess acid production must not be an issue when using SynLube, unless it somehow has infinite TBN?
Fascinating, but I'm going to let somebody else do the field testing...

How much detergent additive is in a new oil is important in terms of the TBN/TAN relationship, BUT it is not the only reason why used oil should be changed. Sometimes the limiting factor in extending an OCI is Silicon or one of the wear metals in the case of an older engine. The other common reason for changing an oil is low viscosity, sometimes caused by fuel contamination.

Some of the long life oils produced by both Liqui Moly and Amsoil have around 4000 ppm of Ca. Mobil 1 0w40 has 3000 ppm, but some other cheap oils have less than 2000 ppm, so might well need changing every 3000 miles.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Seems so ... used oil gets recycled REBOTTLED WITH A HANDFUL OF SAND THROWN IN and sold at dollar stores.
wink.gif

FIFY

;^)

Higher yield that way, eh ? Well, seriously sad what bad oils get sold around here - but convenience stores are worse than dollar stores - DG has actually improved their line up ...

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Higher yield that way, eh ? Well, seriously sad what bad oils get sold around here - but convenience stores are worse than dollar stores - DG has actually improved their line up ...

Seems like both will have decent oils mixed in with unknown and possibly scary oils...last time I stopped in the local dollar store (not sure which chain), they had PYB as well as what I think was an SA oil sitting side by side. I think the 7-11 I drop into near work has all name brand oils along with their own line, which I expect is usable stuff. I wouldn't worry too much about store brands in general...it's the ones like "Super Maxx XTX 5-30" that would worry me.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Do police officers check under the hood or tire pressures before starting a shift?

Most large departments have SOPs mandating pre shift equipment inspections, but I don't know of anyone who actually does one. My experience is with a large take home fleet so that probably has a lot to do with it.

If my vehicle was a pool car, I'd walk around it with a magnifying glass every day. That way I don't get gigged for mechanical or body damage from the previous guy.

Most of the Gov't types I have worked with in the past are pretty good about checking fluids on issued rigs. By the tiem you have convinced the powers that be that your job need a a car or truck, you don't want to go through that mill again. you feel the need to keep it going as long as possible ...

Most of my guys and gals were Park Rangers and not city cops, but I think it still holds. They could get quite far out in the back country and that vehicle was their lifeline if anything went seriously sideways... What really used to tee them off was warranty breakage as they were made to feel like lab rats for some new models.

Break-downs and walk-homes are not fun. Especially if you've just been observing a Meth Lab in an abandoned cabin or motor home in an out of the way location. Those folks are shooters. You need to keep moving and you need your vehicle to be reliable. I've seen more than one experienced Ranger turn down a new model vehicle and let management have it for the first 30K
laugh.gif

Most went to auction between 150,000 and 200,000 miles. Of course our program was just the opposite of that discussed. Oil changes at 6,000 and filters every other time.

Now that the vehicle are getting more data intensive with lap-top docks and full time communications with the LE Network, they will leave them running to keep the links up. I always thought they should all have solar panels on the roof to boost daytime 12v capability...

I could see new vehicle systems going to 12,000 mile oil changes. But I don't see anyone being comfy with 30,000 ...

If your old enough and remember ! Adam 12 they checked under the hood at the start of each shift. I worked up north for 15 years and tried to check the car prior the start of each shift not wanting engine problems.

Originally Posted By: UltrafanUK
both the Snylube and Amsoil clowns suggest doing just that.
I think lumping Synlube and AMSOIL together is unfair. AMSOIL has a good reputation for providing quality products, where Synlube is a joke.

At our local government fleet shop, vehicles are always purchased new.

Therefore, GM or Ford have specifications as to the service interval for oil, and grade.

Running 30k intervals would void any warranty.

All our new GM vehicles get the Carquest Dexos motor oil in specified grade.

Linky

> "DO NOT USE in Mazda Rotary Engines"

Topkek.

How does any of this fleet maintenance data translate to the average guy who not only PAID for his own vehicle. But doesn't ration his time down to minutes and seconds every week? It doesn't. I'll use myself as an example. I'm retired, and purchased a brand new Jeep Grand Cherokee, as a retirement present to myself and my wife. We are both no longer working and have no children.

To put it bluntly, I would have to be an idiot to try and go 30,000 miles on a single oil change. Especially when you consider the fact I've owned the vehicle for 2-1/2 years now, and just turned 5,500 miles the other day. So that means what, I should hold off on oil changes to just one every 13.6 years? And do it for the idiotic reasoning of saving a few minutes a year? This type of stuff has zero bearing on most any or all of the average people they try to wrap it around. A guy who owns a Piper Cherokee, and flies 5 hours a month, is not going to feed off the maintenance schedule of American Airlines.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Earlier in the thread there was a line which included the words, "...changing oil on tractors can be a drum at a time project...".

What does that mean?

Tractor oil changes can be measured in gallons, not quarts.

A drum holds 55 gallons, so maybe an exaggeration, but the gist is tractors can take a LOT of oil depending on design.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back