3 years old opened 5L jug of Castrol Syntec

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello!

I just recently moved and I found an old 5L opened jug of Castrol Syntec, I remember I was filling that one with all the leftovers from my oil changes (which was all Castrol Syn), but then the jug got full, sold the car and totally forgot about it. It is approximately 2-3 years old.

Do you think the oil is still good; can I use it on my new car?

Personally, I wouldn't use it on a brand new car. Once the bottle is opened, you get moisture accumulation. I'd use it in a lawnmower.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Nek167
Hello!

I just recently moved and I found an old 5L opened jug of Castrol Syntec, I remember I was filling that one with all the leftovers from my oil changes (which was all Castrol Syn), but then the jug got full, sold the car and totally forgot about it. It is approximately 2-3 years old.

Do you think the oil is still good; can I use it on my new car?

Yes.

Just dont get any leaves in it when you open the bottle outside. That is the worst that could happen.
smile.gif

its not like that oil "expires." Its not Tropicana orange juice from concentrate
You DONT need to shake it
you DONT need to do a rain dance around it
You DONT need to put stuff in it
You DONT need to hold it upside down......

If it is still liquid, it is ok
Pour in
Top up
Close hole
Drive.

There isnt any special consideration, as long as the bottle isnt leaking from being around so long as i have seen some old 10qt jugs of Rotella T 15W-40 doing at Wally World.

HTH.

Ok thank guys.

I have heard about moisture accumulation and was kind of septic, wondering if it could even contaminate the oil in a plastic jug.

Any moisture will burn off the first time you get the oil nice and hot....

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Any moisture will burn off the first time you get the oil nice and hot....

No doubt about that. The question is: what kind of permanent damage (think add pack depletion/acid formation) has the moisture done to the oil during those 3 years during which it was just sitting on the shelf? Possibly I'm being overly cautious here. It may just be fine. After all, I'm assuming the bottle had a cap on it and wasn't just left open.

Moisture? How would it have gotten moisture in it if it wasn't run in an engine or left outside in the rain? Motor oil is NOT hydrotropic like brake fluid, which means that it doesn't suck moisture from the air like brake fluid does. NEVER use old brake fluid, but as long as it is clean go ahead and use that motor oil with confidence!

Originally Posted By: Nek167
Ok thank guys.

I have heard about moisture accumulation and was kind of septic, wondering if it could even contaminate the oil in a plastic jug.

Not really, if that foil isnt broke aint no moisture.

I too used to wonder if it could "evaporate out through the foil" but if there are NO leaks then, no, that cant happen. Particuarly not with motor oil, sitting somewhere.
smile.gif

Quarts feel lighter when hot (like in the trunk of a car in the summer) because its hotter in the quart and feels lighter. Same amount of oil in it.

Originally Posted By: wag123
Moisture? How would it have gotten moisture in it if it wasn't run in an engine or left outside in the rain? Motor oil is NOT hydrotropic like brake fluid, which means that it doesn't suck moisture from the air like brake fluid does. NEVER use old brake fluid, but as long as it is clean go ahead and use that motor oil with confidence!
I think the term you mean is "hygroscopic"

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
Originally Posted By: wag123
I think the term you mean is "hygroscopic"

You know what I mean
smile.gif

Motor oil is not "hygroscopic".

Last edited:
Your title gave me entirely different picture. I was hoping you were going to tell about your cute 3 year old opening the jug and making a big mess.

Unless the bottle is 50/50 oil/water then you have nothing to worry about. I used to save up unused oil and pour them in a year later. It add up.

Originally Posted By: 45ACP

You DONT need to shake it

You DONT need to hold it upside down......

I shake all my oil oil bottles and/or jugs. Additives can settle on the bottom in some instances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back