3 years old opened 5L jug of Castrol Syntec

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 45ACP

You DONT need to hold it upside down......

So how do you get it out of the bottle and into your engine?
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

No doubt about that. The question is: what kind of permanent damage (think add pack depletion/acid formation) has the moisture done to the oil during those 3 years during which it was just sitting on the shelf? Possibly I'm being overly cautious here. It may just be fine. After all, I'm assuming the bottle had a cap on it and wasn't just left open.

I'd have to think that the amount of moisture that got into the container while they opened it and poured some out then recapped is minimal and wouldn't harm it.

Unless of course they left it open out in the rain awhile.
cry.gif

Last edited:
OK, so I have a naive question: if moisture condensation can occur inside a gas tank that's not full, why can't it occur inside an oil container?

OK, so I have a naive question: if moisture condensation can occur inside a gas tank that's not full, why can't it occur inside an oil container?

Gas tank is vented (Meaning its constantly breathing in and out air with temp changes) and since the bottle in question is full their is going to be very little air in it for moisture to condense from.

Originally Posted By: 45ACP

You DONT need to hold it upside down......

So how do you get it out of the bottle and into your engine?
lol.gif

I meant "You DONT need to hold it upside down BEFORE you do that" but still
lol.gif
and
33.gif
smile.gif

I also hold them more "horizontal" than upside down. I also dont hold it the way the bottle shows, so i get plenty of glug-glug-glug action. This should mix it even though its already been pre-mixed.

Never had oil with stuff at the bottom, though ive had somequarts that "felt light" after coming out of a bag in a blazing hot trunk. Felt like it evaporated, but it couldnt have.

Ive also never drank oil. I hear im missing out. It does look sort of like maple syrup. Hmm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back