3 year 21K mile, engine oil abuse, UOA worthy or waste of money?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by RTexasF
Just change it. With that many miles who cares what the UOA says?

What are you even doing on a site like this, if a UOA of the OP's oil doesn't at least interest you a little?

Originally Posted by Kira

Got budget?

funny question, I am a commercial aircraft mechanic, oddly still sporadically employed, my employer seams to be holding on to us in a wait and see mode, PTO is covering the gaps for now, got some coin, but I feel like the band playing on the deck of the titanic waiting for the water to come over the railing but for now the music is still playing. this is worse than 9/11 for the Airlines and if the general economy gets knocked down long term we will not recover until it does.

So maybe for now?

I work at a supplier for auto industry and we are wiped out too but will probably come back sooner than airlines, tourism, restarsunts etc...I am much more worried about poverty than virus

and the filter

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I usually see this carbon sand stuff in the filter but usually just a few bits of it, this is ugly.

nothing to see in the filter itself, Its a depth filtering Toyota filter that cannot be easily cut apart.

Originally Posted by RTexasF
Just change it. With that many miles who cares what the UOA says?

Agree! couple of short oil changes and she'll be good to go.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted by RavenTai
So I changed the oil in my 239K 1999 LS 400 in feb 2017, M1 EP 10w-30, drove my long commute for about a year and then had to park it in the yard spring of 2018 with 260K, because of brakes tires and starter issues (that starter was a pain to change) had a lot of time at home lately with this covid thing, finally getting it put back together. very humid Florida enviornment. its been run occationaly when parked never driven further than up and down my own residential road. going to change the oil before driving to get tires. it starts and runs, not codes, everything still works, other than needing a bath and developing a slight exhaust leak it seams just fine after sitting.

Part of me wants to UOA it to find out what happened, this will be a serious edge case and might be interesting, part of me thinks it a waste of money to find out what I already know, that this was a horrible engine/oil abuse.

Thoughts?

Get that uoa bud.

I'm not an expert but doesn't that oil filter say the uoa won't be any better? It looks nasty.
I don't do uoa, but I look at others. This one I would be interested to see
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by Kira
I do not know (nor could even guess if I wanted to) but I think the "stagnant" oil in your sump will be polluted, diluted and funky.
As we all know, a UOA is the only way to know. What you might be paying for is badly skewed info.
Or it might just be another routine oil analysis.
Got budget?

According to Jim Fitch (pretty much THE authority outside of our super knowledgeable guys) a small amount of oxidized bad oil in a system can remove a very high degree of the new oils life, and by definition a sump change is a " short volume oil change"- hence the double change using low cost but rated oil and filter as a cleaner.

OP, Certainly dirty, but Ive seen much worse, if you can see how much is packed in the pleats it will give you some more info on how full the filter was.

For low cost fun drag a magnet though that goop...

UD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back