3 things my mechanic said will help a turbo last longer

I think cooling down the turbo was something needed before they were all intercooled, something like the old Chrysler turbo I 2.2. Not a thing with modern turbos.

If I was running it really hard I'd probably let it idle for 30 sec or so before shutting it down, but completely unnecessary for normal driving.
Intercoolers remove heat from the charge air (post turbo, pre throttle body). Intercooling makes no difference in turbo temperature.

In the early days of turbocharged cars, in the early 80s, for example, the turbocharges were often cooled by oil only.

Water-cooled turbos are not as susceptible to heat damage and coking as oil-cooled turbos.

So, now that they are all water-cooled, cooling down the turbo makes less of a difference.

Intercoolers remove heat from the charge air (post turbo, pre throttle body). Intercooling makes no difference in turbo temperature.

In the early days of turbocharged cars, in the early 80s, for example, the turbocharges were often cooled by oil only.

Water-cooled turbos are not as susceptible to heat damage and coking as oil-cooled turbos.

So, now that they are all water-cooled, cooling down the turbo makes less of a difference.

I knew it was something like that :ROFLMAO:

I will note my 2.7L ecoboost has what I’m pretty sure is a tiny little coolant pump joining a few hoses together in front of the engine which can run when the engine is stopped. It’s the size of a hockey puck. It won’t move much fluid, but it doesn’t have to. I’ve heard it run during s/s. I’d wager it knows how to for hot cooldown.

Back