3 original rims, 1 not quite

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, buying a $600 minivan (94 Olds Silhouette) and I'll be working on all sorts of issues it has but I have an odd question to ask and it's probably nothing to note but it bothers me.

The van has 3 of the original snowflake Olds alloys on it. The right front is an alloy from a same year Lumina Euro. The wheels are all the same size and construction, the tire sizes all match (same brand even), and it's probably only a cosmetic issue. Will it affect much other than my ego to leave that on until I find another Olds rim or should I make it a priority to have the wheels match? They're shaped different, I don't want to stress anything out in the chassis or anything.

Ignore me if I'm an idiot. Just curious to know if one mismatched wheel has ever caused anyone problems if the size matched but the appearance was different.

If the backspacings are the same, then there's no worries at all.

To get a close approximation, take one of each off, and measure the depth from the rim to the mounting flange on the inside of the wheel (straightedge across the diameter of the wheel, and ruler down to flange).

I would not be worried about the appearance as much as I would wonder why they replaced it, and the potential issues...

Originally Posted By: deeter16317
I would not be worried about the appearance as much as I would wonder why they replaced it, and the potential issues...

That was my thought. Chances are the original wheel was damaged by running into a curb or something.

Watch tire wear and if it's uneven, spring for a wheel alignment.

You're fine. FWD vans are just cars between the lugnuts anyway. GM wouldn't have put that bolt pattern on midsize cars and vans too if a mismatch in, say, wheel load rating would upset anything.

Salvage yard rims are as used as the one you have now. I'd rather get one there (or a used tire!) than from a tire shop... where it's been discarded for some specific reason.

Originally Posted By: wantin150
I'm sure that a rim from a salvage yard would be just fine but I could not bring myself to completely trust one.

Ten seconds on a computer balancer, plus a decent visual inspection, and any salvage wheel can be deemed as good as any "used" wheel on your vehicle.

While I shy away from using or installing used consumable parts such as waterpumps, fuelpumps,coils,starters,etc., a non wear part such as a hood, fender, door,wheel, any glass, etc. that doesn't show damage, rust, or pitting is just as good after years of use as when new.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back