3 Months or 3000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Time" isn't important at all, but is a 'catch-all' to cover engines that might be idled a ridiculous amount of the time, spend hours in gridlock, etc.

6 month oil changes,October and April, using PP. It's about 4500 miles each change for me.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
I've always changed my oil by mileage no matter how long it takes. Within reason of course. Never longer than 12 months.

x2

Depends on what happens during the 3 months or 3000 miles.

If it takes you a 6 months to a year to put on those 3000 miles then you should prob change the oil.

If you drive 2-3k miles a month, then 3 months may be when you should change the oil.

Without what type of vehicle, what type of use, what type of oil, 3k or 3000 miles are just numbers that don't matter.

One size fits all does not apply. Unless your in a warranty and the MFG states you MUST change it in that period.

Bill

I go by the 3 month/3000 mile recommendation on all of my cars, for two reasons. 1. I use dino oil and oe filters, so I know that by the time 3000 miles or 3 months has gone by, that they aren't operating at 100%. 2. Oil and filters are cheap, engines and cars arent.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Depends on what happens during the 3 months or 3000 miles.

If it takes you a 6 months to a year to put on those 3000 miles then you should prob change the oil.

If you drive 2-3k miles a month, then 3 months may be when you should change the oil.

Without what type of vehicle, what type of use, what type of oil, 3k or 3000 miles are just numbers that don't matter.

One size fits all does not apply. Unless your in a warranty and the MFG states you MUST change it in that period.

Bill

x2

Originally Posted By: oilchangeguy
which is more important?

Whichever comes first. At least that's what JL would make you believe.

For me personally its 12 months or 8k miles, whichever comes first.

which is more important?

Neither. Fuel usage. Time is only used where mileage is a poor indicator of usage ..or lack of usage.

If you get 24mpg over ideal conditions ..and 12.4 over your usage ..and it's a daily driver, then you're either loading the oil and filter with contaminants/moisture at some high rate, or are actually fatiguing it more than mileage can account for by its hours in use. Think stationary engines.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
which is more important?

Fuel usage.

That's what BMW used to use to determine OCI. Pretty smart actually, because it takes into account a lot of different conditions (hard driving, cold starts, towing, city driving - all these result in increased fuel usage). Of course there's also a time limit if you don't drive much.

If the 3k/3mo is a lot of short trips where the engine never gets fully warmed, OK. Otherwise it is a waste of money, time, and precious oil. But, do 3k/3mo and the oil companies will love you!

As others have said, 12 months or the max mileage allowed by your owner's manual. I do 10,000 mile (not quite a year)oil drain intervals with Schaeffer syn blend or full syn oils & OEM filters and get excellent lab reports.

I am 3 month 3,000 mile guy.I work 3 miles from home. through out the day I have to go to other buildings. My truck is started and shut off and idles alot every day. I rarely hit the 3000 mile mark. But every 3 months I change the oil. Valvoline Max Life WIX filter.

I have three cars and I change by time. About every four months. They all get about the same usage and by the time they get changed they could have anywhere from 3k to 5k miles.

I just mark a Saturday on the calendar and get them all done and out of the way at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back