3 in 1 oil alternative

I have a CNC router with ball screw drives. The manufacturer says to use 3 and I Machine Oil to lubricate the ball nuts.

Nothing against 3 in 1 oil except it comes in very small volumes and in a crappy container. I want something equivalent that I can put in a oil can/pump with flexible spout that I can lube the machine with. The purpose of the 3 and 1 is to clean the ball nut and lube it so you do use some volume and need a way to get a decent flow to each of the 4 ball nut drives on the machine.

Is there an equivalent/alternative to 3 in 1. I looked at MMO but quickly decided it is more for cleaning and doesn't have the lubricating and longevity properties needed to replace 3 in 1.

Edited: had called it 3 and 1!

Last edited:
I'll bet this stuff might work for you. You can find it by searching out "Zoom Oiler."
OIP.jpg

Alphonse

No. 2 Machine Oil is what you are looking for. https://www.lubriplate.com/Products/Fluid/Machine-Tool-Series/NO-2/NO-2/
No. 1 is thinner and No. 3 is thicker. 3-in-One is No. 2 Machine Oil.
Mobil Vactra No.2 is also No. 2 Machine oil and available in 1 gal jugs. https://www.amazon.com/VACTRA-OIL-NO-2-GALLON-128OZ/dp/B00EZCPW7K/
Thanks for the reply and tips. I am going to look into the Lubriplate.

I have a knee mill and a metal lathe that I have used Vactra No. 2 on the ways in the past. I wasn't sure about Vactra since it is a bit stringy and snotty for adherence improvement.

Alphonse

Zoom spout oiler or Kano kroil
No thanks to the Kroil. I have it in spray and can. It is good stuff but not for this service as a lubricating oil.

Not familiar with Zoom. Isn't it heavier than 3 and 1? Isn't it also several times the cost of 3 and 1 per oz?

No thanks to the Kroil. I have it in spray and can. It is good stuff but not for this service as a lubricating oil.

Not familiar with Zoom. Isn't it heavier than 3 and 1? Isn't it also several times the cost of 3 and 1 per oz?
Zoom is a synthetic it's probably the same weight it's recommended use is electrical motors

Zoom spout or a light machine oil. 3-in-1 oil and Tri-Flow have solvents and surfactants in it. Tri-Flow has Teflon, 2-butoxyethanol and stoddard solvent. 3-in-1 has d-limonlene and a surfactant.

JHZR2

Staff member
Zoom spout or a light machine oil. 3-in-1 oil and Tri-Flow have solvents and surfactants in it. Tri-Flow has Teflon, 2-butoxyethanol and stoddard solvent. 3-in-1 has d-limonlene and a surfactant.
But the CNC vendor recommends 3-in-1, so I dont know that its such a bad thing to have those other items in it...

Astro14

$100 Site Donor
Staff member
Reilang pump oilers (made in Switzerland)
I think I want to know more about those...every oiler I've tried is junk. They leak, fall over, make a mess.

I finally went back to (gasp!) actually buying little plastic bottles of 3 in 1 oil...