3 consecutive UOAs for 09 Traverse 3.6L DI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Although this most recent OCI was the shortest of the three it was the most severe as can be seen from the OLM #. It began in cold winter weather and finished up...still in winter; lots of short trips and cold weather idling. I think this choice of Esso XD may well be as thin as possible and as thick as necessary i.e. the highly regarded M1 AFE 0W30 did not do as well and so I can right now conclude that this engine is best protected using a more robust (HDEO), thicker oil.

Code:

Lab: TOROMONT TOROMONT TOROMONT

OCI Dec to March Sept to Dec July to Sept

Vehicle 09 Traverse 3.6L DI 09 Traverse 3.6L DI 09 Traverse 3.6L DI

Oil Esso XD 0W30 (HDEO) M1 0W30 AFE Esso XD 0W30 (HDEO)

Filter PF 48 M1 113 PF 48

Total Miles 33286 28812 23758

Miles on oil+OLM 4136 (48%) 5000 (53%) 5273 (60%)

Aluminum....... 3 5 2

Chromium....... 1 2 1

Iron........... 25 40 18

Copper......... 3 5 4

Lead........... 1 1 0

Tin............ 2 1 0

Moly........... 14 84 3

Nickel......... 0 1 0

Manganese...... / / /

Silver......... 0 1 0

Titanium....... 0 1 0

Potassium...... 2 4 2

Boron.......... / / /

Silicon........ 5 13 5

Sodium......... 7 9 5

Calcium........ / / /

Magnesium...... 5 13 15

Phosphorus..... 900 686 772

Zinc........... 868 716 800

Barium......... 0 1 0

Flashpoint F... / / /

Fuel........... Neg. Neg. Neg.

Antifreeze..... Neg. Neg. Neg.

Water.......... Neg. Neg. Neg.

Insoluables.... / / /

SUS Visc@210f.. / / /

cST Visc@100c.. 9.82 8.30 11.37

TBN............ 2.50 2 7

Soot........... 0 0 0

Sulf........... 25 30 27

Oxid........... 22 28 27

Nit............ 15 19 15

Last edited:
I heard that some were recalled to change the OLM, it was way to optimistic.

M1 had high iron, not surprising.

I would invest in TBN, to see oil life.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner
I heard that some were recalled to change the OLM, it was way to optimistic.

So the above OLM #s are actually (much) lower than what I have stated (if I were to have the new ECM programming done).

Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner
I would invest in TBN, to see oil life.

TBN is shown...scroll down.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dishdude
Doesn't look bad to me, am I missing something?

I was just showing a comparison of the performance of a 'thin' but high quality synthetic (M1 0W30) to that of the (much) thicker, non warranty approved oil Esso XD. This HDEO did well in this sometimes challenging application during both a summer and winter OCI.

I saw similarly (to M1 0W30) for another GF-4 warranty approved 0W30...namely Petro Canada's 0W30.

Last edited:
No flashpoint or fuel percentage makes it hard to tell how bad the fuel contamination is on this engine but this looks better than most considering the short trips and cold weather. Low TBN and lower viscosity seems to point to a lot of fuel in the oil this past winter. Try taking a half hour or longer highway trip after the engine has warmed up every few weeks if possible.

If you are trying to get a reasonably accurate record on your UOAs(UOAs are notorious for being inaccurate)I would run two OCIs with the same oil then check the second fill not the first.

Originally Posted By: tig1
If you are trying to get a reasonably accurate record on your UOAs(UOAs are notorious for being inaccurate)I would run two OCIs

I am not sure I understand. The chart above gives 2 OCIs of the same oil (Esso XD) with one a summer run (optimal driving and weather conditions) and then a much harder winter run. The same oil run in two distinct seasons seems also a good way to determine the protective quality of the oil in question.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
Which HDEO oils are you going to try?

The XD is reasonably priced and easy to obtain...and I like that it is CJ-4 rated.

I guess I could try Rotella 0W30 or a dexos2 oil.

You can see that between the 2 ESSO runs, that the oil sheared more in the Dec-Mar(less miles run) due to fuel dilution as compared to the July-Sept(more miles run). The TBN and cST Visc@100 were both lower in the Dec-Mar. More idling in the colder months and maybe shorter trips as well. Can't explain the low TBN and cST on the Mobil 1 unless the oil just starts lower to begin with and the weather started to turn cold early, Sept-Dec???

July-Sept in the warmer months you can see that the engine was...start and go!

Dec-Mar in the colder months you can see the the enging was...stop & go w/idling!

But there really is nothing wrong with any of the 3 OCI's. And too, which seem typicle of Mobil 1, higher iron! But again, nothing wrong!

Just my .02cents

Nice report.
It does seem that a thicker oil offsets the increased wear (iron) associated with fuel dilution but it's anything but conclusive otherwise your GC UOA would have been better.

What is apparent is that XD-3 0W-30 works well in your DI engine.

Originally Posted By: 21Rouge
If you are trying to get a reasonably accurate record on your UOAs(UOAs are notorious for being inaccurate)I would run two OCIs

I am not sure I understand. The chart above gives 2 OCIs of the same oil (Esso XD) with one a summer run (optimal driving and weather conditions) and then a much harder winter run. The same oil run in two distinct seasons seems also a good way to determine the protective quality of the oil in question.

He means run two sequential OCI with the same oil. Your runs of the XD were not sequential, they were interspersed with M1.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
but it's anything but conclusive otherwise your GC UOA would have been better.

It is my belief that GC didnt show as well as the engine was still breaking in. Of course I would need to use GC again to confirm this supposition.

Originally Posted By: SubLGT

He means run two sequential OCI with the same oil. Your runs of the XD were not sequential, they were interspersed with M1.

I guess. But running the same oil in two opposite seasons ie summer and winter, as done here, seems worthwhile as well in determining an oil's effectiveness (to protect) in the given application.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SubLGT

Yes, that's what I meant. Use the same oil for two or more OCIs then do your UOAs. Gives a better picture than switching oil all the time.

Last edited:
Yes, that's what I meant. Use the same oil for two or more OCIs then do your UOAs. Gives a better picture than switching oil all the time.

I agree!
01.gif
The only problem is it will take forever to establish which oil is "best" for the application.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

I agree!
01.gif
The only problem is it will take forever to establish which oil is "best" for the application.

That's also true but if you want a reasonably correct answer, two-plus UOAs through all seasons is the way to do it.

I think the XD 0W30 looks like a good choice for this engine and agree with 21Rouge's logic on contrasting the winter/summer UOA. I think you could have gone farther (if you wanted to) on either run, especially the summer (lookit that TBN! plus the nitration, sulfation and oxidation numbers on all three).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back