3.8 vs 3.4

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have been looking around for a mid to late 90's gm product with a 3.8.i've driven a mid 90's buick with the 3.8 for a month or two and was impressed with its power and economy.i was trying to find a camaro or firebird with this engine.while doing this i have found 94 camaro with a 3.4 at a good price.but i am not familiar with this powerplant.cruising around the net it seems to not be as well regarded as the 3.8.
any opinions folks?

The GM 3.8L rules when it comes to V6's. People who have them, love them. There are some high-performance GM 3.4L's out there with dual over-head cams, but most of them are the middle-of-the-road (performing) push-rod engines.

There is no replacement for displacement at low RPM's. These high-revving little engines w/ high horsepower ratings, have it at the upper end only, and most people don't like pushing their RPM's to the limit when they need that extra burst.

The 3.8 is a great bullet proof engine. Cast iron block and heads with 3.80 bore and a 3.40 stroke arranged in a 90 degree V. The 3.4 is a evolution of the 2.8 to 3.1 to 3.4 and 3.5 GM engines. Cast iron block with aluminum heads arranged in a 60 degree V. Parts are plentiful on both. I prefer the 3.8 for durability. Power is ~ 200 hp for the 3.8 and 160 for the 3.4.

Originally Posted By: lord kelvin
The GM 3.8L rules when it comes to V6's. People who have them, love them. There are some high-performance GM 3.4L's out there with dual over-head cams, but most of them are the middle-of-the-road (performing) push-rod engines.

There is no replacement for displacement at low RPM's. These high-revving little engines w/ high horsepower ratings, have it at the upper end only, and most people don't like pushing their RPM's to the limit when they need that extra burst.
All the F body 3.4 were 12 valve pushrod engines. No 24 valve multi cammers.

The GM 3.4 engines made up to 2004 weren’t a Vega engine, however, with various problems, to that time the 3.8 was hands-down a better engine. In approximately, late 2004, GM turn the 3.4 design over to GM China. They had to modify the problems in which we couldn’t or just wouldn’t fix. The earlier 3.4 were noted with having leaking intake manifolds, whereas it is told that the Dex-Cool cause the material to dissolve or some such disaster. Whereas, the newer Chinese 2004 and later GM intake and gaskets were replaced with valve covers, new oil pan design, electronic throttle and a new ignition. The Chinese models IMHO have the bugs worked out with little problems remaining. I have talked to 100s’ of Torrent and Equinox owners, {which, have the Shanghai GM 3.4 product}, and I have never heard of one having an engine problem. The new Chinese 3.4 will drop into the older GM products without a hitch and this is the reason I told you about them. If I was going to use one I would get a Chinese 3.4 engine if I could find one. If you think GM China is junk look at the Chinese Buick sales in Asia; they are whipping the Japanese, Koreans, Europeans and the other American automobiles products in Asia and parts of Europe hands down. I hear people all the time criticizing the Chinese products, just remember if we took all Chinese made products from our homes we wouldn’t have any electronics; no TVs, computers, stereos, calculators, stoves, washing machines and so forth. The Asians have always improved other people’s designs, just looks what the Japanese accomplished when they bought out Triumph and BSA…..

By the way my wife loves her Equinox.

Originally Posted By: joflewbyu2
Originally Posted By: lord kelvin
All the F body 3.4 were 12 valve pushrod engines. No 24 valve multi cammers.

for the "F" bodies, true.. but the 3.4 did have a twin dual cam version that was used in the Lumina Z34.

The 3.4 has nowhere near the torque, but if you find a car you like, in good shape with the 3.4... then just check it out thoroughly

One last thing, the Chinese 3.4 have 185 hp, will move a Equinox 0-60mph in 8.3 seconds. This soccer mom's vehicle will run 1/4 mile@16sec and the Equinox outperforms several of her competitors.

LNJ Engine:
The 3.4 L LNJ is a 204-cubic-inch (3,350 cc) modified version of the normal 3400 engine. It includes a modified intake manifold, oil pan, engine cover, and fuel system as well as electronic throttle control. It is built in China and imported to Canada for use in the Chevrolet Equinox and Pontiac Torrent. The LNJ makes 185 hp (138 kW) and 210 lb·ft (285 N·m).[2]

We've seen reports here that even the latest 3.4L and the LX9 3.5L that is based on the 3.4L do have some intake gasket problems.

The new GM V-6s based on the 3.9L (ie, all the new OHV cam in block VVT V-6s) don't even have coolant going through the intake manifold and the problems are totally fixed.

You want to be careful assuming various engine stuff crosses over to the RWD 3.4 in the camaro. If it's a stick shift in particular.

I have a one of these 3.4s in an olds silhouette van; Prior owner did the IM gaskets and the motor really scoots! Gets 24-26 MPG dragging this boxy heavy van around too. HP ratings change from year to year. Could be worth seeing if they had sequential MPFI back in 94; that usually adds a little.

OTOH I rented a 2001 ish camaro convertible with the 3800 V6-- it too was "very nice" and got 34 MPG!! With a V6 you can bet the previous owner was into image and not all out power yet they're very nice cars. Shoot, the 2010 camaro V6 gets 304 hp.
20.gif

I would love to see anything on 2005 or later, concerning intake problem problems. The latest I found was in some late 2004 models. If you have any threads please share them....

Surely, I am referring to the same set-ups like front wheel drive in the later models . I thought everyone assumed my thoughts; "My Bad" Common sense tells all of us that a 3.4 in a front wheel Torrent would be tough putting in a rwd.hahahah your point is well-taken

Lord Kelvin,

I think all of us on this thread are pretty much on the same page that the 3.8 overall is a good engine and some probably would say a great engine. I know that they are tough-as-a-boot. Whereas, the 3.4 engines are okay depending on one's application. My son drove,{like it was stolen}, a Pontiac {something,which looked like a Firebird}, with a 3.1 in it for years. He had no problems except for a slight lifter click until the engine warmed up. He traded it in with 180,000 miles with no problems. To a soccer grandmother all would be fine with proper maintenance.

You are correct Wikipedia has some great information concerning these engines. I wish you the best

We had a '98 Camaro with the 3.8 and the M5 transmission. I highly recommend it. Plenty of get up and go, and it got great gas mileage.
I think the newer model with the 3.8 is worth the couple of hundred extra bucks.

I too am retired from the military and I also agree about the 3.8 being top-notch. The way I see it, GM V6s' have plenty of power, reliable, and great mileage, so what else does the average person actually need? Nothing more... Have a Great Weekend or what's left of it.

The 3800 is also smoother running and sounds better (IMO) as well.

Although an eventual replacement of the intake gasket and possibly the ignition coils are not unheard of.

GM started putting the 3.8s in the Firebirds,Trans Ams and Camaros in 1996.The 3.4 gets better fuel mileage in the Impalas than ones with the 3.8s.

A few '95 F-bodies are 3800 as well, only paired with an automatic trans. It was optional in federal emission states and required for CA,MA,etc. emissions.

I missed that and you are right 100%. The 3.8 is smooth and they do sound good don't they?

I don't know about other 3.4 engines, however when Cami of Canada and Suzuki decided to build both the Equinox and Torrent it was a joint adventure. The bodies were made in Canada, the transmission was from Japan (automatic 5 speed), and the engine was a modified 3.4 from Shanghai China GM. The oil pan, intake assembly, throttle assembly, valve covers and the hp was increased to 185. As far as intake problems, I have yet to find a late 2005 or later Equinox/Torrent with intake problems...... the others I am no so sure.

What concerns me, my wife bought a new Equinox (2009, which runs great), it is their coolant that has my attention! I was told that it too has been modified? That came from a GM salesman and I would not trust them as far as I could sling one. I was told that they use the new Havoline formula in which GM has now contracted? I don't really know but I have read a small article claiming this too. I guarantee I am going to find out and if not it will be drain and flush time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back