3.7 Jeep Grand Cherokee What Oil? & filter ?'s

Status
Not open for further replies.
New Guy here!

Picked up a 09 GC with the 3.7 for my wife's new kid hauler. Uses will be shorter trips 10-15 miles one way and the occasional run up the mountain to go sleding.

5W20 is the oil weight recommended by the manufacture
Must meet- Chrysler Material Standard MS-6395.

I plan to run a Wix 57045 oil filter
And a Wix 42329 air filter

Pennzoil ultra platinum

kendall HP w/liquid titanium

Lucas HP

Amsoil and Redline I know are both AWESOM however I just do not have $10+ per quart to toss in this consistently right now...

^^^ showed up in amazon and seem reasonable. However I haven't been able to find VOA's for these through searching BITOG. I haven't been able to find much of anything for that matter on the 3.7L jeep motor on here.

We are picking this jeep up with 40k miles and it appears that service has been done. However, Q8 (european brand) oil has been used in ties with a cheap-o orange Fram filters have been used (air and oil) oil changed every 6k miles and driven mostly highway...

However, I would like to give it a clean slate- good quality oil good quality filters. I am at the mercy of being stationed over seas and can not afford local out in town oil.... (10-15 euro per quart/liter + exchange rate = no good)

I purchase my oil through amazon as they ship synthetics here no problem and its relatively cheap.

Lastly any thoughts in regards to throwing 1/4 can of seafoam in the oil fill and running it around for a few days? My neighbor keeps recommending it to clear out any sludge that it may or may not have since service history is limited... Thoughts??

I'm a big fan of seafoam however I have learned over the years to investigate thoroughly and confirm there is a deposit problem before just pouring in a tune up in a can.
Look through the fill hole. If you can see mud on the rocker/cams then I suggest an inexpensive 5w-30 then add seafoam.
Seafoam will thin the oil,so adding it to a 20 grade might not be wise. I'm not saying it will cause a problem however I prefer to err on the side of caution rather than find out the hard way.

As far as filters go can you get a fram ultra,or tough guard. The tough guard is a great filter. The ultra is top of the line. If using the tough guard(it what I use presently) I run 2 10000 mile intervals in my known clean engine. When I dissect them there is no evidence of media distortion nor any build up that would suggest media restriction.
The fram ultra is guaranteed for 15000 miles. For me I'd need to run it 30000 miles to become a better value than what I'm currently losing.
And just to clarify fram makes a quality product. All the hate they receive is bovine flatulence and usually comes from people who are just regurgitating bias they heard from someone else.
As far as oil goes what can you source inexpensively? Pennzoil ultra or M1 would be my first picks however do some digging on what's local and cross reference if it's certified then make a choice.
I like those jeeps,I mean suv's. They are a nice ride,comfortable and handle well. Your better half will like it.

And welcome to bitog.

Change the PCV often. The PCV on those 3.7 and 4.7L Dodge SOHC engines is not well designed. I ran FL400S on my Dodge 3.7 much of the time. Best bang for your buck. I typically ran a synthetic blend, although I did run Mobil 1 0W-30 in the winter in Minnesota. They aren't picky about oil. Run a good 5w-30 and they will last a long time.

Last edited:
Air filters- they dont care. I ran a K&N and got a lower than average silicon in the UOA. It really doesnt matter.

So I'm seeing a lot in favor of running a 5w30 over a 5w20. 20 weight seems thin for this small of a motor to large of a vehicle... Though I'm not a chemical/mechanical engineer...

I have read that jeep did a change over in (06/07ISH) time frame... from 5w30 to a 5w20 with zero mechanical differences. The change was in favor of fleet wide MPG increases.... I personally would prefer a thicker oil for a little peace of mind for fuel dilution (short trip driving). Though I would not be able to back this up without a few oil analysis showing higher fuel content etc...

Oneeyejack- Im going to assume that is some aftermarket remote start... This didn't work on our 09' ?? :S

My WIX pick may be trumped by a Purolator I'm going to hold my ordering for a couple days to do some more reading... anyone else have any good reads similar to this?

http://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-eng...g63t-4b11t.html

The hemi changed from 5w-30 to 5w-20 for the cylinder deactivation. I believe the 3.7 stayed 5w-30 throughout.

Originally Posted By: 95busa
The hemi changed from 5w-30 to 5w-20 for the cylinder deactivation. I believe the 3.7 stayed 5w-30 throughout.

"Engine Oil Viscosity (3.7L/4.7L/5.7L Engines)
SAE 5W-20 engine oil is recommended for all operating temperatures. This engine oil improves low temperature starting and vehicle fuel economy.
The engine oil filler cap also shows the recommended engine oil viscosity for your vehicle. For information on engine oil filler cap location, refer to “Engine Compart- ment” in this section.
Lubricants, which do not have both the engine oil certi- fication mark and the correct SAE viscosity grade num- ber, should not be used."
^ This is what the manual says. However I'm sure some emphasis could be laid on the fuel economy portion.

Ill begin my search on some quality 5w30's

Mobil 1 5W-30 EP and a Fram Ultra oil filter are an outstanding value for the dollar with high quality in mind.

I've been using caztrol syntec 5w20 in my 3.7 for two years or so no. Still running strong. Switching to a better quality filter though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back