3.6l LFX V6 Camaro

Status
Not open for further replies.
wondering what oil should i use. i want synthetic but dont know what brand to get. i always used mobile 1 but on the camaro forums some say to not use it and some say to use it. im really confused to what oil is best. i dont know if i should use Mobile 1,penzoil platinum, or valvoline.please some one tell me or show me some evidence to what oil will be best for my car. car has 500 miles as of now. 5W 30.

Use Mobil 1.
I would choose it over Pennzoil Platinum and Valvoline.
Whatever you choose, make sure that it is dexos1 licensed.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Use Mobil 1.

use Mobile 1 even when people from the forums say that mobile 1 is bad for the LLT and LFX motors?

Last edited:
something tells me to go with PP over M1. i need some input here guys help me out

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rozay
Use Mobil 1.

use Mobile 1 even when people from the forums say that mobile 1 is bad for the LLT and LFX motors?

They are full of baloney.

M1 is recommended because it can easily be had in Dexos certified, and is cheap. What's not to like? Nothing wrong with PP either for that matter.

Here we speak about realities, not [censored] baloney like some forums...

Last edited:
Use Mobil 1.

Its Mobil 1, not mobile 1

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Decide for yourself.

http://pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/Marchsyntheticsallfinal.html

Personally I think PP has a slight edge on regular mobil 1 5w30, but both will be fine if your following the recommended intervals. Are you going to dump the factory fill soon? What's the manufacture recommend for leaving the FF in?

by the link you gave me both M1 and PP looks pretty close in numbers which i do not understand lol.

They are both good but mobil 1 has a different additive pack with less calcium but a higher overall TBN. I prefer the high calcium approach.

The point is both are excellent choices. If someone tells you using mobil 1 5w30 in your engine is a bad idea I wouldn't be listening to them. You get a lot of bashers on forums who think that a particular brand is bad, truth is all API certified SN synthetics are over kill for most factory service intervals with a very few exceptions such as suburu turbos or certain direct injection engines. Nissan v6s are also a little more rough on certain oils.

Since your under warranty buy whatever is cheaper and Change at the specified interval. After your warranty is up we can discuss extended drains if you're into that.

Decide for yourself.

http://pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/Marchsyntheticsallfinal.html

Personally I think PP has a slight edge on regular mobil 1 5w30, but both will be fine if your following the recommended intervals. Are you going to dump the factory fill soon? What's the manufacture recommend for leaving the FF in?

by the link you gave me both M1 and PP looks pretty close in numbers which i do not understand lol.

Might as well throw in QSUD in the mix as it has very similar numbers and has the lowest NOACK of the three , if we are splitting hairs here.

They are both good but mobil 1 has a different additive pack with less calcium but a higher overall TBN. I prefer the high calcium approach.

The point is both are excellent choices. If someone tells you using mobil 1 5w30 in your engine is a bad idea I wouldn't be listening to them. You get a lot of bashers on forums who think that a particular brand is bad, truth is all API certified SN synthetics are over kill for most factory service intervals with a very few exceptions such as suburu turbos or certain direct injection engines. Nissan v6s are also a little more rough on certain oils.

Since your under warranty buy whatever is cheaper and Change at the specified interval. After your warranty is up we can discuss extended drains if you're into that.

my LFX engine is also DI. maybe thats why it comes up lot on the other forum?

Last edited:
It's the turbo charged Di engines that are hardest on oil. I haven't heard of fuel dilution issues from the v6 yet. Maybe you could dump your factory fill and run a uoa on the next one to track fuel dilution over about 5000 miles if that's within the factor limits.

Are you going to be putting lots of miles on this toy or is it a low mileage per year vehicle?

It's the turbo charged Di engines that are hardest on oil. I haven't heard of fuel dilution issues from the v6 yet. Maybe you could dump your factory fill and run a uoa on the next one to track fuel dilution over about 5000 miles if that's within the factor limits.

Are you going to be putting lots of miles on this toy or is it a low mileage per year vehicle?

its my DD and i have a heavy foot at times. most likely going with PP from what ive been reading around the forum going for 5K OCI or is this to short of a period?

The manual should tell you the severe service interval and normal service intervals. It should have an oil life monitor right? Follow the olm and uoa it if you can. It should be calibrated correctly for your engine.

The manual should tell you the severe service interval and normal service intervals. It should have an oil life monitor right? Follow the olm and uoa it if you can. It should be calibrated correctly for your engine.

i dont really trust the olm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back