3.6L Chrysler PentaStar V6 Assembly Part 2 Video

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: IndyFan
I've got an 08 Rubicon with the 3.8 with 118k on it. It uses oil, but runs like new, and oddly it has seen drastically reduced consumption the last 2k miles. Anyway, it has been an outstanding vehicle and very reliable. The engine is nothing to write home about, but the thing is unstoppable off road and the engine is smooth and quiet.

I've ordered a new 2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon 4 door with the 3.6 and 6 speed manual. The old JK isn't going anwhere, though. I'm keeping it until the wheels fall off. It has a zero deductible lifetime powertrain warranty, and the entie Jeep is in excellent shape, in spite of lots of winter driving and off roading from the east coast to Moab, Utah, and everywhere in between.

I'm looking forward to the updated 3.6 and new manual transmission. We don't know yet which transmission it will be, other than it won't be the NSG370 that is in my JK. I'm hoping for a Tremec. I've driven a few Pentastars in cars and Jeeps and have always really liked them.

Anyway, this will be my 3rd Jeep. My first was a 93 YJ 2.5 4cyl/5 speed. I ran it for about 130k and 10 years, and it was a great vehicle, too, with 100% reliability. That old 2.5 was like a tractor motor. I wish I still had that Jeep.

Interestingly, the new JL 3.6 is supposed to run on 0w20 oil. I'll likely make it Mobil 1 EP, after the break-in.

My wife and I love our 2016 JK Rubicon. That 2018 JL should be a nice ride. I'm glad they finally ditched that 6 speed m/t that seemed to have a lot of complaints. The reviews should be interesting, and better. I'm waiting to hear how the 8 speed A/T is in that rig.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
They had been using the 3L design in some Mitsu vehicles before Chrysler got a hold of it.

I believe that was the 6G71 (which started life in 1986), and is covered in the Wiki I linked earlier. The 6G72 also started life in 1986, Chrysler started using it in 1987.

I think that Chrysler had it built to their specifications and this is why the valve seats and seals were a problem but in Mitsu vehicle they were not. (Speculation).

My impression from the Wiki and the allpar article was that Mitsubishi primarily used the 24V version, which didn't have the problem. That would explain that your experience I would imagine.

They also didn't have EGR on some of these models but all Mitsu vehicles did that were sold in North America. As a result the 3L Chryslers without EGR would often fail NOx on emission tests and we used to skirt this by feeding some exhaust back into the intake during the dyno test. Shhhhhhhh
wink.gif

Yeah, saw that in the Allpar article, LOL Guess they "passed" when new, but of course wouldn't once they got some miles on them, particularly with their propensity to burn oil.

All I know is my dad made a killing fixing these engines knowing the seals were the consumption problem. (After the seats were revised).

These 3L's were still burning oil with their use into the 2000's model jelly-bean vans and we kept fixing them this way. All went on to live long lives because they no longer smoked like a chimney. We made countless trips to the US to get valve seals and the parts counter guy in N.Y. used to scratch his head every time we would order a ton of sets and nothing else.

Yes, I imagine he would have. Once he had the job down, I'm sure he hammered them out! Would be curious to see what the part number was for the seals you guys were ordering? You don't recall them being for 12V or 24V do you?

He had that down to a couple of hours to pull the heads off, pull them apart, put them back together and get the car running. My dad is an animal.

He regularly would drive K-Cars down to a shop he worked at on weekends, with a bad engine and pull the old engine out and drop in a re-man and drive it home 9 hours later.

I miss those days.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
All I know is that the 3.6 Pentastar engine performs very well in my minivan and in countless other vehicles, so kudos to the people in that video for doing a good job, even if it doesn't look exciting.

My dad's is a 2012 and was a fleet van at the chemical company I worked for before I bought it for him. It has 300k on it and going strong. My FIL just bought a 2017 Dodge Caravan with that engine and so far so good.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
All I know is that the 3.6 Pentastar engine performs very well in my minivan and in countless other vehicles, so kudos to the people in that video for doing a good job, even if it doesn't look exciting.

thumbsup2.gif

My wife's is smooth, quiet and good on gas.

and they sourced the engines from Mitsu, they had valve guide issues and [censored] seals, but Chrysler didnt
tell Mitsu , please sell us the units with [censored] seals and lousy valve guide design! It was all on Mitsu who got to pay for warranty work on the valve guides.

Chrysler couldnt get the stench of Mitsu out of their products fast enough,anyone with an ounce of brains either opted for a 2.5 Turbo or later a 3.3 or 3.8 v6, much better engines than the Mitsu band aid garbage

Originally Posted By: VNTS
and they sourced the engines from Mitsu, they had valve guide issues and [censored] seals, but Chrysler didnt
tell Mitsu , please sell us the units with [censored] seals and lousy valve guide design! It was all on Mitsu who got to pay for warranty work on the valve guides.

Chrysler couldnt get the stench of Mitsu out of their products fast enough,anyone with an ounce of brains either opted for a 2.5 Turbo or later a 3.3 or 3.8 v6, much better engines than the Mitsu band aid garbage

Spot on.

Originally Posted By: VNTS

Yup, and their V8's of the period were good as well, albeit thirsty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back