3.5EB - PPU Losing Viscosity

Just got my first UOA for my 2018 F150 with the 3.5EB. I've been using Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-30 starting with the first oil change. The truck doesn't see a lot of miles, but I change the oil frequently. The report was good, but I'm a bit concerned because it came back showing the viscosity was more like 5W-20. Is there another oil that's good for the 3.5EB and is know to hold its viscosity? Most driving is normal day to day stuff, but we do tow our 6,000 travel trailer occasionally.

Attachments

• 08 F150-210211.pdf
    13.5 KB · Views: 67
And beyond that Blackstone is incapable of measuring fuel dilution properly, even their viscosity measurements have been shown to be inaccurate in the past.

Shearing and maybe fuel there too

If that is your brand, consider 1-2 quarts of their 0w40 or 5w40 mixed into the 5w30.

If not, then use a thicker higher HTHS 30 grade, or other brand for comparison

Try this 5w30 for comparison:

And, this would be a higher HTHS in either 0w30 or 5w30:

fuel pollution + DI + turbos are hard on oils, not to mention timing chain issues $$ many eco booster use a 5-40 + depending on climate + time of year a 10 or 15-40 would be better!!

Which is why I don't like the fact that Pennzoil insists on their oils starting life at near the bottom of their viscosity range.

Agree with a 5w-40 diesel oil. It's what is going into the wife's Flex in a couple months.

While under warranty, check the owners manual for what oil Ford requires. I don’t recall offhand but there is a Ford specification number. PPU 5-30 meets it. I’m not sure if I’ve seen the same rating on a 10-30. your call as to whether you want to go outside of that while under warranty. FWIW, I moved to 10-30 and the engine doesn’t make noise towards the end of the OCI like it did previously.

m

I've used Castrol 0w40 in my eco up until the last change when I went with PP Euro 5w40. I will return to Castrol 0w40 in the spring for summer towing duties.

fuel pollution + DI + turbos are hard on oils, not to mention timing chain issues $$ many eco booster use a 5-40 + depending on climate + time of year a 10 or 15-40 would be better!!
Timing chain should not be an issue for the 2017+ 3.5. They went from a single long chain to individual chains for each cylinder bank.

now, cam phasers are an issue on the 2017+

I’d be running something with at least 3.5 HTHS.

In Canada, I’d be looking to a Euro 0W-30 or 5W-30 or 0W-40 like Mobil 1 ESP, or Motul 8100 X-Clean+ 5W-30.

That Motul specifically is interesting because it has very low viscosity-modifying additives, which means it’ll stay in grade very well, and keep the engine very clean.

I’d be running something with at least 3.5 HTHS.

In Canada, I’d be looking to a Euro 0W-30 or 5W-30 or 0W-40 like Mobil 1 ESP, or Motul 8100 X-Clean+ 5W-30.

That Motul specifically is interesting because it has very low viscosity-modifying additives, which means it’ll stay in grade very well, and keep the engine very clean.
What this man said. M1: 0w40 or ESP 5w30/0w40, PP Euro: LX or L or their 5w40 flavour. Motul is a good choice too, but it doesn't go on sale.

I had very good results with Valvoline MST 5w-40 and Shell Rotella Gas Truck 5w-30. I have some UOAs for my 3.5EB in the UOA section if you want to check them out. High HTHS was the main thing I was going for.

Back