3.5 EcoBoost under valve covers/front cover

Estimate was $2,070.95. That was 9.2 hours at $95/hr, parts at a 25% markup from my cost, and a $15 shop fee. Local Ford dealer gave me a discount on the cam phasers which I didn't expect, and the customer asked me to replace the spark plugs after I already had the car apart. Even with new Motorcraft plugs, the total works out to be less than the estimate at $2,017.67 plus tax.

Putting that in perspective, our local Ford dealer quoted him just over $3,200.
My families 2010 Taurus had basically the same repairs plus the internal water pump on the transverse 3.5 at 240k miles. The estimate was higher than what you quoted (in Canadian$) for just the water pump job. It got sold for $600 to a friend/mechanic I used to work with and he fixed it himself to keep for his personal vehicle. The engine only had a slight rattle on cold start for a second but the engine light was on work a code for variable valve timing.

The chains were stretched and tensioners maxed out. No varnish or sludge in the engine though as it had 3k oil changes every few months (all highway driving) with conventional oil. I wonder if the timing components would have been much better shape if synthetic had been used. It should last a while now but it was basically wrote off unless a tech was willing to buy and fix it himself. He had to buy the special tools to fix it and everything.

Disagree completely
You doubt but don't know.
So you are going to swear the quick lube places used the right weight of oil , proper approvals, quality oil filter..lol
Most of them don't even change your filter if they can get away with it. This oil isn't coal black yet. Keep it in there.
Hardcore quick lube customers usually mark their filters before the service. You know how many catch the scam. Many. While others don't care.
Plus the owner could have at least used a Ford dealer so he would have a trail. Sounds like he was part of the problem.

Who said the oil was API certified..lol
And in my hometown the rental places use quick lube shops because they don’t have mechanics in my area so it’s probably been to the quick lubes before. And no doubt the oil quality is low because it is I know I’ve serviced enterprise vehicles before. We had a rental come into my dealership once but it was because the push button start failed and that’s something a quick lube place can’t fix.

No doghouse? That’s pathetic. Really. That was nothing but a cost saver for Ford and will make it horrendous to do even basic maintenance like spark plugs.

I had the engine replaced in our Transit at 80k due to a mistake by an oil change shop. They raised the van up and dropped the engine down. I had said to the service tech that it must be a nightmare. He said that it requires a high roof (ours is a mid-height roof) and tall lift, but that it wasn't too hard to drop the engine down. They had the swap done in a couple days. Not sure how many hours were involved. The first engine was ruined when the quickie lube kid failed to see that the gasket from the previous Fram XG10575 stuck to the mating surface when he removed the filter. He then put the new one over the old gasket and it pinched, causing all the oil to ultimately blow out of the engine, surprisingly quickly. What was amazing was that the engine ran quite a while with no oil in the sump. It sounded horrible, but it ran probably for hours. When the Ford dealer tore it down, they said the filter had metal in it that poured out like sand. Sad. Fortunately, the shop took responsibility and their insurance covered the Ford factory reman engine. We've got about 60k on the the new one.

When the time comes for plugs in the new (reman) engine, I'll certainly pay them to do it. I'm sure they have their techniques and have done them many times.

In the meantime, I have run Mobil 1 EP 5w30 for about 10k each OCI, using the OLM. The last run was Shell RGT 5w30 and I kept it in there for about 4.8k. I put in another 6 quarts of RGT for this run. There's a good UOA at about 7.8k or so here on Bitog that was posted in the last day or two. It still had 1.0 TBN, so I think it would make it to 10k, but I won't go past 7500 unless it is Mobil 1 EP. I'm running Fram Ultras, btw. I use the local quick lube in the winter, but I bring them the oil and filter and usually I'm the one that actually pours it in, so there's no doubt what oil is in it.

I'm betting my engine would look MUCH better than that one inside when it reaches 106k. I can't imagine why someone would run a twin turbo DI engine like that with dino oil.

Last edited:
Rental cars are usually maintained regularly. There are some that slip through the maintenance cracks but those are the exception. The vast majority have received regular oil changes.

I've had a host of Enterprise rentals, most of them had stickers indicating recent oil changes, but there were a few I took to VIOC because they were overdue by a lot. Iffy Lube conventional is the last thing I would put in anything complex or expensive, those bulk oils just are not that good. The Transit 3.7 in my sig went from burning a quart every 4000 when the stealership changed it to making it 7500 without needing any when I started using Maxlife blend in it.

I have a 2003 Maxima that was given to me for free. It had that code. Turns out it was related to neglect. Chronic late oil changes and constantly low on oil messed up the vvt solenoid. Which messed up how the cams adjusted. Which set off that code.

Disagree completely
You doubt but don't know.
So you are going to swear the quick lube places used the right weight of oil , proper approvals, quality oil filter..lol
Most of them don't even change your filter if they can get away with it. This oil isn't coal black yet. Keep it in there.
Hardcore quick lube customers usually mark their filters before the service. You know how many catch the scam. Many. While others don't care.
Plus the owner could have at least used a Ford dealer so he would have a trail. Sounds like he was part of the problem.

Who said the oil was API certified..lol
Easy there Zee. You paint with a broad brush. As a "Quick Lube" owner operator I will always take offense to someone who labels "most"
quick lubes as thieves. "Most of them don't even change your filter if they can get away with it.".
Truth is most (not all) of quick lubes are owned or operated by hard working people who truly don't want to damage your vehicle by installing the wrong oil or filter.
"Hardcore quick lube customers usually mark their filters before the service" That's a load of sludge.
Hardcore customers come have come to my shop for 22 years knowing my employees and I have integrity. Sorry for the big word.
You are what is wrong with todays America. Generalizations are like racism.
Have a Merry Christmas but stay away from my center.

Easy there Zee. You paint with a broad brush. As a "Quick Lube" owner operator I will always take offense to someone who labels "most"
quick lubes as thieves. "Most of them don't even change your filter if they can get away with it.".
Truth is most (not all) of quick lubes are owned or operated by hard working people who truly don't want to damage your vehicle by installing the wrong oil or filter.
"Hardcore quick lube customers usually mark their filters before the service" That's a load of sludge.
Hardcore customers come have come to my shop for 22 years knowing my employees and I have integrity. Sorry for the big word.
Why don't you follow your own advice. I don't do quick lube places so you won't be seeing me anyway.
Merry Christmas to you too.

Feel free to list your business and location so we can all read your reviews and just think how many new customers you will get.
Big talk calls for action... Happy New Year too.

Estimate was $2,070.95. That was 9.2 hours at $95/hr, parts at a 25% markup from my cost, and a $15 shop fee. Local Ford dealer gave me a discount on the cam phasers which I didn't expect, and the customer asked me to replace the spark plugs after I already had the car apart. Even with new Motorcraft plugs, the total works out to be less than the estimate at $2,017.67 plus tax.

Thats pretty fair price for all that work sir.
What a joke though to be into the engine like that so soon.
I can get 2 timing belt/ water pumps done for that using honda coupons.

Id be fuming if if I was the owner (assuming I actually maintained it properly )

UD

Putting that in perspective, our local Ford dealer quoted him just over $3,200.
That's a really reasonable price.

I was reading an article stating the 2nd gen of this engine resolved DI issues experienced in the 1st gen. I wonder how much DI affects the motor oil and internal engine cleanliness.

Its the perfect storm - super long chain, bunch of sprockets shearing oil , DI pump load (like a small diesel rail pressure) add DI soot grinding your pin bushings, turbo bearing heat, fairly high HP/CI squeeezing oil through the mains...

Is the 2017 3.5 EcoBoost considered the GEN II?
Yes.

Of course I disagree with much of what has been said here..... but I am sure 5k oil changes don't hurt anything.

I am also sure that operating conditions/style has a lot to do with it.
I think a formula based on miles per cold start would be good.

I put 137k on a gen1 and currently have just over 100k on my gen2.
Both have been maintained by the OLM w/ Magnatec and a FL500s.

Last edited:
Lots of overreacting in these threads when people see what they consider a lesser product being used in one vehicle. Could it look cleaner with full synthetic or reputable blend like MC? Sure. Are there countless reliable high mileage EB employing a similar regimen? Absolutely.

Last edited:
I understand that a better oil and/or shorter OCIs would have been better ... however, based on what I've read here so far, is it fair to assume that the failures were not oil related (short of some varnish/sludge)?

Back