3.5 EcoBoost PP OR Napa syn

So I had the oil pan gasket changed 3k(km) ago at the dealer and they filled with their bulk oil(Mobil 1000) but I dont like how loud and rattely it is on start up vs the PP they drained so I'm gonna dump it. I have a jug of PP 5W30 and a jug of Napa syn 5W30 so I'll probably just use the other jug to top off the remaining cup of oil it takes to get me to the top mark.

I use this truck mostly for towing my camper (8000lb) in the summer and as the dailey driver In the winter, use the car as the DD in the summer.

Which would you use if those were your 2 options. I'll probably go PP with a Napa gold filter or a fram ultra If it's on sale, not paying almost $20 regular price when the Napa filter is under $10

See what's on sale at Canadian Tire or order a bunch from rock auto.

Either filter you mentioned will do.

Ive been using 5W-30 PP, QSUD and Castrol Magnatec over the years in my 3.5 ecoboost but i am now looking to move to something a little stouter. These engines tend to run hot towing. There are times when my coolant temps will be in the 220’s just pulling along on flat ground if i am fighting a headwind on a hot day.

I've been using Shell gas truck 5w30. It's not as thin as PP.

I've thought about 5w30 euro spec or 0w40 but haven't tried them yet.

My 2009 5.4 3V F150 ran castrol 0w40 for years and now my 2016 3.5 Eco runs Edge 0w40. Both were/are used to tow our trailer all over the western provinces. To the original poster, Costco has their 5w30 synthetic on sale starting May 3rd. 2 x 4.73l jugs for $29.99Cdn. I think it's the same oil as NAPA sells (Warren blends it, I believe) as another option. Stick with the FL500s filter as it works well on the Eco. Buy them from Rockauto for much less than the dealer.

I'd use the PP and see how much quieter it gets.

As for oil filters buy 4-6 Fram Ultras from Rockauto (at a time to save of shipping) and you'll be better ahead than buying them from CT or WM.

whatever brand be sure its 15-40 in summer especially towing + 10 or 5 W -30min winter depending on temps

In all my readings of UOA‘s regarding the 3.5 ecoboost engine, I’ve seen nothing but great reports by those who run Castrol Magnatec through that engine.......Just Saying😁

Also, to help the start up, hold the gas pedal to the floor while you crank it. This will prevent the engine from starting and get oil pumped up to the upper end. After a couple seconds let off the pedal and it will start.

i do it every time i cold start mine, especially if its been sitting for a while.

Fram Ultras for both my F150 ecoboost and Lexus GX are OOS on rockauto
Did you check that option to tell you when they are back in stock? That's one of the reasons I ordered my rear brake parts early. Don't want out of stock warnings when I need something.

I order six FL500 or Wix XP filters form rock auto a year and call it done. But I did score four Fram tough guards from our local Walmart for $3 each.

Our traverse uses the same filter as the f150 does. Probably going to use the TG on the Chevy. :sneaky:

Did you check that option to tell you when they are back in stock? That's one of the reasons I ordered my rear brake parts early. Don't want out of stock warnings when I need something.
No cause I normally just buy them from WM. I do my filter once a year so the $3 savings doesnt mean much.

I was just stating that they are OOS.

Reactions: JC1
Back