3-4k oil changers - a question/poll.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those who change your oil at 3-4k because you feel the oil is 'used up' or 'worn out', what is your biggest concern about the oil:

A) the oil is full of dirt and abrasive metal that you want out of your engine;

OR

B) the oil has sheared out of grade, and you don't want thin oil in your engine;

Just curious about what peoples concerns are about their oil - this s NOT a 'bash the 3k crowd' thread!

quote:

Originally posted by addyguy:
...this s NOT a 'bash the 3k crowd' thread

That notwithstanding, I could see this thread getting ugly real quick. There are certain buttons better left unpushed. "5W-20 vs. traditional viscosity spreads" and "3K OCIs" most prominently come to mind...

I'm aware of that, Ray, just hoping that cooler heads prevail. BTW, you're a 3k-er, aren't you..?
tongue.gif

Contaminant suspension. TBN is no issue with me with a gas engine and a blend of HDEO with PCMO at change time. With the cheap oil scores, I can change for about 3.00 in my Focus, with a filter. Cheap insurance, and cheaper than a synthetic for 7500.

Main reason why I change my oil as often as I can (3-5k) is A: "the oil is full of dirt and abrasive metal that you want out of your engine;"

I know my UOAs have proved otherwise but changing oil that often allows me to sleep at night.
tongue.gif

I had a 81 Pontiac Phoenix V-6. I was doing a lot of short trips and 6 month OCI's, and when it was 10 years old, it was so badly sludged, the oil wouldn't run down out of the valve covers.

Before long, I traded it on a 92 grand Am. The owners' manual was very explicit about for short trips use the severe service schedule of 3K/3months. Duh?

Perhaps today's oils are better than the SF QS I was running when I found the sludge. Still, I have a hard time not putting new Pennzoil in ever 3 months. I am thinking more and more about synthetic and a longer OCI.

I change my oil out 4-5k (and have done MANY UOAs) and for the total cost of a oci change being around $5 incl oil filter, I just change it to be safe.

My UOAs and even more important, my past engines show that I'm doing ok with this mindset.
cheers.gif

I've done UOAs (and have had Terry look at them) with Full Syn, Blends and conventional and the path I'm on works for me.
grin.gif

Take care, bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

PS: It would be more A for me over B though...
gr_stretch.gif

[ July 13, 2006, 05:56 PM: Message edited by: Bill in Utah ]

lots of short trips

my view is additives are somewhat dangerous since you are changing the overall chemistry

a good filter can easily go 9 k

so a drain and fill with a good dino every 3k costs ~8-10 and is a relative bargin

Correct me if I am wrong, because I really do not know, but doesn't the build up of contaminates greatly contribute to wear in your engine? If so, shouldn't frequent oil changes reduce the level of contaminates in direct proportion to the OCI?

Neither.

I have two turbo Subaru's (Legacy GT & WRX) and the 4k mile interval (3750 is severe by Subaru) is comfortable.

Fuel dilution due to excessive idling is usually my biggest concern. One of my cars idles throughout eight-hour shifts and maybe goes a total of 20 miles during that time.

Short trips is a concern in one of my other cars.

The third car isn't so much of a concern since I drive long highway distances in it.

"A" would be the closest to my view, however.

Option C) Specific to the QG18DE in the Nissan Sentra - Sump capacity of 2.7L makes me nervous for running an extended OCI. I guess Option A is the closest to that...

When I was a dino user I changed at 3,000 miles because the oil was dirty and the shearing of the viscosity enhancers. Then I found out that oil thickens with use because of burning off the lighter elements. That is part of why I switched to synthetic.

With my tractors I use synthetic but still change freguently due to the very dusty work environment.

quote:

For those who change your oil at 3-4k because you feel the oil is 'used up' or 'worn out', what is your biggest concern about the oil:

I'm a 3K to 4K guy with dino oil most of the time 4K to 6K with Mobil 1. #1 reason is I enjoy changing oil.
#2 Reason is don't want the inside of the motor to look like so many of the motors I looked at when working at a engine remanufacturing machine shop many years ago. Carbon deposits built up in the ring groves was a very common problem with extended OCI with dino oils.

I just change mine out at 4 months because I usually forget to write down the mileage when I do the change.
smile.gif

My main concerns:

1) Fuel dilution
2) Shearing out of grade
3) Foreign particulate matter
4) Additive depletion

I have no concerns. Its cheap eengine insurance. An oil change costs less to me than a 1/2 tank of gas. Why not?

I do 3K OCI because my owner's manual says to. I drive very short trips: 6 mi. Thus, I follow the sever schedule as recommended by Dodge.

I've also realized that I've ran out of time on my Ford. I have slighty over 3K miles over 8 months. Thus, I plan on dumping it this weekend. This will be my first OCI based on time -- ever...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back