3/4 or 1 ton p/u comfort

Finding my F250 a little uncomfortable on long trips and I was thinking about checking out some of the newer trucks. I only need 3/4 ton.

Being as I can't take a truck on a 8 hour test drive I would like to get the opinions of people on what they are driving. I think all the big boys make a truck I can live with and I am not brand loyal even though I mostly have purchased Ford. My truck was 2 years old in October and it has 80k on it so I drive a lot, especially considering the covid lockdown my truck did not move for 3 months.

I would also consider aftermarket seats if there is such a thing for these trucks and someone knows about them.

My 2018 Chevy Duramax 3500 rides pretty well with the independent front suspension. There is no difference between the 2500 and 3500 other than the rear leaf springs. We have rear leaf spring airbags which make a HUGE difference in the ride when loaded, but zero difference unloaded, I highly recommend them.

All this said, the 2500s and 3500s ride like a tank compared to a 1500.

The seats are nothing special and we've considered putting in aftermarket seats hoping for better comfort.

Do you have a dually or a SRW truck? The dually rides better because you cn run lower pressure in the rear tires.

Out of all the new trucks made today Ford is the only one I’d buy. That’s because of reliability maybe not comfort. The most comfortable trucks I have ever been in are there mid 90s Ford trucks absolutely amazing comfortable seats.

Perhaps an F150 with the Heavy Payload Package would work for you. I had one and it rode firmer than a vanilla F150 but definitely not as firm as an F250. I thought it was just right on the highway and a little firm in town.

Tire pressure made a huge difference; E-rated tires came standard and I ran them at around 50psi when empty. Above that became a tooth rattling experience without a load.

My 2018 Chevy Duramax 3500 rides pretty well with the independent front suspension. There is no difference between the 2500 and 3500 other than the rear leaf springs. We have rear leaf spring airbags which make a HUGE difference in the ride when loaded, but zero difference unloaded, I highly recommend them.

All this said, the 2500s and 3500s ride like a tank compared to a 1500.

The seats are nothing special and we've considered putting in aftermarket seats hoping for better comfort.
The 2500 gas has 10.5" ring gear 14 bolt axle, while the 3500 gas has the 11.5". All diesel trucks have the 11.5". Not that this would impact ride quality.
Also, I'm not trying to be "that guy", I merely bring it up because I found the axle change to be puzzling.

My 2500 (gas) rides well with the IFS front end, but I still find the rear to be very stiff, so much so that it will skip around a "washboard" surface. This is unloaded behavior, of course. As wwillson said, any 3/4 ton or higher will ride far more harshly than a 1/2 ton. Just the nature of the beast.

I've had a Chevy truck and a few F150's. Last F150's was a 2004 that was a ok comfort wise. About what you'd expect in a "truck." When I test drove the 2015 Lariat in my signature, WOW what a difference. Turning diameter, soft ride, and very smooth at 80mph. My F150 isn't for work, it's mainly for family travel. Lots of 5 to 6 hour trips and a few 12+ hour trips for kids baseball tournaments. The crew cab is huge and on these long rides driver and passengers are very comfortable.

I would believe Ram, Chevy, and GMC are also comfortable rides. I can only speak with certainty about mine though.

Finding my F250 a little uncomfortable on long trips and I was thinking about checking out some of the newer trucks. I only need 3/4 ton.

Being as I can't take a truck on a 8 hour test drive I would like to get the opinions of people on what they are driving. I think all the big boys make a truck I can live with and I am not brand loyal even though I mostly have purchased Ford. My truck was 2 years old in October and it has 80k on it so I drive a lot, especially considering the covid lockdown my truck did not move for 3 months.

I would also consider aftermarket seats if there is such a thing for these trucks and someone knows about them.

So your truck is two years old and you find it uncomfortable? I am not sure a new one would be that much more comfortable. Or about the various seat options, are some more comfortable than others? I do not know.

Is it the seat or the ride?

Sorry to be personal but how big of a guy are you?

A 4x4 with a solid front axle will never have a great ride. My pickup is 4x4 with solid front axle and has Bilstein shocks. The ride is OK but not like my Forester was.

Maybe a auto upholstery place could redo the seat with heavy duty foam and springs.

Stop carrying a huge wallet in back pocket (George on Seinfeld).

Comfort of a vehicle is one thing I would never seek advice from anyone. Every person is different. You have to decide what is comfortable to you.

Comfort is subjective. Only you can decide what works for you. I can say that the wife and I find our RAM dually quite comfortable with the factory rear air suspension supplementing the leaf springs, particularly with 26k+ in tow. Comfy heated and cooled seats, nice materials, and the subdued growl of the Cummins.

I have ridden in 3/4 ton trucks Chevy and Dodge and Ford all recent(ski buddies work trucks) and they all are not pleasant places to be on rough roads. They get better loaded up of course but guessing you like 99% of people ride around them with a bed of air and no weight on them.

I would be more concerned about trim level than brand. Any higher trim should have a more comfortable interior.

Reactions: 4WD
I hve a 17 chevy 1500 LTZ and it rides great. Springs are compliant so a good ride. smaller wheels with larger tires have more mushiness to absorb bumps than the >20 inchers all the rage these days. Larger trucks meant to haul also can have high pressure tires that ride like stone. I keep E rated tires at 42psi and they ride great and pump them and airbags up with a load.

Finding my F250 a little uncomfortable on long trips and I was thinking about checking out some of the newer trucks.

No truck is going to be as smooth riding as a luxury car, but if your late model F250 isn't comfortable enough for you, I don't think any other truck will be much better. Unless you're hauling stuff, why would you use a pickup for long trips any way?

Back