$3,000 for a '83 Chevy Chevette Scooter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This reminds me of my youth. One of my buddies in high school had an '81 4 door Chevette.

It would struggle to do 70 on the highway, and with a good hill and a long run at it, we once did 80.

The best part was if we were talking to the ladies in the bar, and they asked what kind of car he drove, he'd always say that it was the Silver 'Vette out in the parking lot.

Good times...

I never thought I'd see the day when a Chevette would be considered a classic, let alone a "Scooter" model. I had an `83 CS 2dr model while in high school. The Scooters were a more stripped down version(the CS models weren't exactly the lap of luxury either
rolleyes.gif
).

At least find a stick shift, Those auto's are awful. If you look hard enough you might find a diesel. Now that would be cool.

Wow! What a classic
rolleyes.gif
. And the dealer in is southern NJ, who'd a thought that
wink.gif
. Just because A car reaches 20 years old doesn't make it worth a lot. Some how I can't picture a common model Chevette ever becoming a classic. Does the term "grasping for straws" come to mind?

Whimsey

The diesel was from isuzu, same as found in the i-mark.

Rwd hatchbacks are popular with "drifters" now so watch out.
grin.gif

I had one ..77, I think. Three sets of dowl pins for the timing cog. One trans ..I kept thinking that the valve cover sealant was leaking ..it was the gear oil that I was pushing out when I drove from Carlisle to Pottsville on I-81 @ the redline ..which was about 99 mph. The things had the worst brakes ..front and back. The rotors warped immediately ..and I almost drove entirely highway. The rear drums had eccentric adjusters ..they cracked routinely. The ride was horrible ..the head room was non-existant. The seats were curved to roll you out of them.

What else
confused.gif
Give me time, I'll think of it.

Man. these are my favorite American cars. I had good Memories of me and my dad rollling in one in 80's. I remember back in 1989 I went hunting with my dad and we got stuck 5 times in the thin thin mud.

Want to guess what cars allowed Toyota & Nissan a foothold in the American Market???

Hate to offer a grand for either one of those pupies if I didn't really want to own it!!!!

Bob

I was at the World Of Wheels car show in Pittsburgh over the weekend, among the classics, street rods, and a '69 ZL-1 Camaro was a plain '74 Nova, brown, all original, 36k miles. But why?
Some cars are desirable, some aren't. Went to the Ford Nationals at Carlisle a few years ago, saw a guy unloading a '70 Falcon in the for sale corral. All red, one owner, 1600 miles. Last year they made them sure, but it just isn't collectible. He was asking $12,000. Good luck. A plain-jane '70 Mustang like that would be worth double that, easy.
You put your money on the wrong car back in 1970, homey.

I think when buying a vehicle for other than regular transportation (PLEASE tell us it's not for a daily driver...;-) ) cost becomes almost completely subjective. It's not going to work out as an investment, but if it's important to you and you can afford it, then have at it!

Pesonally, an old Mini or Midget/Sprite would ring my bell harder, but I can definitely see the appeal of a Chevette.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back