2nd dead 3800 in 4 years.

Well this probably sounds stupid as can be but I had to buy extra time with the engine. Can't find a a place to install that engine I ordered so I sent it back.

All I was able to do was install a new LIM gasket and change the oil. I ended up using 10w40 to raise the oil pressure. So far so good.
What is oil pressure? How much material did you find? I have replaced gaskets worse than that with no issue and the car drove to 210,000 miles. I gave it to a buddy who drove it to 280,000 and he gave it someone else.

The 3800 & 4.3L V6 are excellent engines, Intake gaskets are a known issue on both & you never install one without changing them.
Same thing as performing a leak down test & setting valve lash on a J-series Honda or Replacing the Bypass Hose & resealing the valley plate on a Toyota MZ engine before install.
I had 3 of the 3800’s and 2 of the 4.3L’s - zero issues …

What is oil pressure? How much material did you find? I have replaced gaskets worse than that with no issue and the car drove to 210,000 miles. I gave it to a buddy who drove it to 280,000 and he gave it someone else.
No clue, it's just doing a better job of lubricating than the 5w30 was. Hardly no noise at all.

Material wise I saw an abundance of golden glitter in the oil pan after draining the oil out of the oil catch pan.

No clue, it's just doing a better job of lubricating than the 5w30 was. Hardly no noise at all.

Material wise I saw an abundance of golden glitter in the oil pan after draining the oil out of the oil catch pan.
So, what you are saying is you have no idea what oil pressure is? You are going off of sound?

So, what you are saying is you have no idea what oil pressure is? You are going off of sound?
Oil pressure shows up a negative 17.5 psi. Sensor is obviously broken. I have a replacement sensor but I forgot to install it during lim job. Power steering had to come loose since the metal lines obstruct me from getting a socket on it. Getting the holes on the pump lined up with the block is a major PITA. No point on putting it on since my low oil pressure warning a few months back was due to the bearings being eaten up by coolant in the oil.

No point on putting it on since my low oil pressure warning a few months back was due to the bearings being eaten up by coolant in the oil.
I think you'll want to verify oil pressure before condemning the engine and going through more work than you have to.

If the engine runs fine, no noise, decent power-- it probably has some life in it.

I recently rehabbed a 3100 V6 that was seriously overheated to the tune of bad head gaskets, milky white oil and likely run that way for quite some time. I couldn't tell if there was any metal in the oil because it was all white, I just knew it was a runner as is, so I figured it would run fine after. Couple reman heads and a few hours of my time later, the engine is as solid as a rock. You'd be surprised the abuse these old pushrod engines can take and keep going. Especially the all-iron 3800.

Back