2nd analysis: 2000 BMW 528i, 15,000 miles on BMW/Castrol 5W-30 High Performance Synth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Results are not as good as last year; looks like this oil didn't hold up well enough for the interval specified by the BMW's maintenance computer. Aluminum and iron are up slightly, copper is the same, but lead is still nice and low.

Most alarming to me was the TBN--only 1.5!
gr_eek2.gif

VOA for this oil is here.

Instead of shortening the interval and continuing to use this brand of oil, I'd like to try and find an oil which can hold up for 15,000 miles or one year. I'm leaning towards M1 0W-40, since I have lots of it (it recently went on sale for $4.29/qt), and it meets BMW Longlife 01 spec.

Or maybe SAAB's 0W-30 which Jae discovered has a virgin TBN of 17.5! Or perhaps Delvac 1 5W-40... or Amsoil 0W-30... hmmmmm, choices, choices!

Comments welcome and appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason

-

Yep, quadrun1, I'd shorten the interval. Three oil changes in two years (about every 8 months) ain't gonna kill 'ya.
spaz.gif

But if you experiment and test with your current interval and a new oil... please keep postin' the results here.
wink.gif

--- Bror Jace

The M1 0w40 should do fine. You might consider the Castrol Syntec 0w30 that's made in Germany. It also meets the BMW LongLife spec.

Take a look at this page from the Netherlands BMW web site. It tends to prove my theory that BMW's 5w30 is actually rebottled Castrol TXT. (The Dutch says that the TXT LL01 is made especially for BMW by Castrol.) You'll also note that they recommend Formula SLX, which is what is now being sold in North America as Syntec 0w30.

[ May 06, 2003, 10:23 AM: Message edited by: G-Man II ]

quote:

Originally posted by quadrun1:

Looks like 3MP's LS1 could come close to this on M1, and I believe it has a smaller 6 quart oil capacity?

The LS1 in the f-body has a 5.5 quart capacity according to the owner's manual, but I know many guys who put in 7 quarts with no problems. GM engineers have recommended this to those who do a lot of autocrossing/road racing.

I'm not sure how much oil Brian puts in his Z though, but hopefully he's at least going with an even 6 quarts. The more the merrier!
smile.gif

I honestly think the Amsoil 0W-30 is overpriced motor oil (same thoughts apply to Redline motor oils).

I heartily recommend the Amsoil 10W-30 (ATM) or the Amsoil 5W-30 (ASL) if you are going these extended changes.

Also I would do an AutoRx treatment, with Chevron Supreme 10W-30 next oil change - 500-1000 miles - then start the interval again.

quote:

I honestly think the Amsoil 0W-30 is overpriced motor oil (same thoughts apply to Redline motor oils).

I heartily recommend the Amsoil 10W-30 (ATM) or the Amsoil 5W-30 (ASL) if you are going these extended changes.

If your going to go with 15k mile drains, Amsoil is the way to go. As far as the 0w-30, I think it's great oil, but how in the world can Amsoil claim 35,000 miles!? And who would want to go that far? I agree with Pablo, stick with the 5w/10w-30's, there tried and true.

[ May 06, 2003, 06:41 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

G-Man II: German Castrol 0W-30, now that's one I didn't think of! Hmm..

Anyone know if it's available anywhere in the greater NYC metro area?

I've been searching AutoZone and Walmarts on Long Island to no avail..

Pablo: Just wondering about your Amsoil recommendation, at least one other Amsoil dealer I know prefers the more expensive 0W-30? Is that stuff overkill?

Sprintman & Bror: With a 7 quart oil capacity, a low-stress engine (192 hp, 2.8 liter N.A. inline six), and the long-life OEM oil filter, I believe the maintenance computer's recommendation of 15,000 miles is not unreasonable if a better oil is used. Don't worry, the car is running better than ever! It burns no oil over the 15,000 mile interval, and easily beats its EPA highway mileage estimate--it's rated 28 mpg, at currently gets over 30 mpg [36 Imp mpg] at 65 mph, faster than the speed they test at.

Looks like 3MP's LS1 could come close to this on M1, and I believe it has a smaller 6 quart oil capacity?

Jason

quote:

gr_eek2.gif

Instead of shortening the interval and continuing to use this brand of oil, I'd like to try and find an oil which can hold up for 15,000 miles or one year. I'm leaning towards M1 0W-40, since I have lots of it (it recently went on sale for $4.29/qt), and it meets BMW Longlife 01 spec.

Hey Jason,

Yup, just use some of that Mobil 1 0W-40.

cheers.gif

Jae

[ May 07, 2003, 11:09 PM: Message edited by: J ]

quote:

gr_eek2.gif

Hey Jason,

Last time, TBN was not measured. So, do you
think that maybe TBN was 1.5 or lower last time
too?

Also, are the acids being un-molested and
attacking the base oils?

Virgin TBN of FakeTek 5W-30 is not known, but
it would certainly be well below 17.5,
given the additive package.

grin.gif

cheers.gif

Jae

quote:

Originally posted by J:

quote:

gr_eek2.gif

Hey Jason,

Last time, TBN was not measured. So, do you
think that maybe TBN was 1.5 or lower last time
too?

No idea, bud! The oil looked a little less "skanky" (3MP's term, heheh) last time, FWIW.

Jason

Everyone says 15k is too long for this oil. TBN is low, but this was using Blackstone's new method I presume. Everyone is telling 3MP to keep going at 14k when they've added 5.5 quarts of oil. This BMW had numbers in line with or better than the 3MP car, except for TBN. 15k, no makeup oil, a 2.8 liter engine pulling around a 3500 lb. car. Oil did thicken a bit. I am a novice at this, but what did I miss?
confused.gif

The ppm per 1000 miles is really pretty darn good. Just because they read 17 ppm or 24 ppm etc. doesn't meant that much IMO, this is equivalent to 5.7 ppm at 5000 miles. Hey, I' ll take that on some of my engines. even iron at 35 ppm comes to only 12 ppm at 5000 miles. I think this is a good report!

Blackstone didn't change TBN methods until mid-June. This sample is from early may, so the TBN is the old method. 1.5 is low on the older method (would likely register 0-0.5 on the current method).

Based on that, the TBN registers low for my tastes.

Otherwise it looks fine. 15,000 would be my comfort limit here.

Yes, if you divide the 15,000 mile results by 3 (Blackstone's universal averages here are based on an average of ~5,000 miles) then pretty much all the wear is average or better than average, except copper.

Speaking as an ex-BMW employee, the 15K interval is primarily a marketing gimmick tailored to people who lease their vehicles.

Since a lease is more lucrative than a sale, and since most lessees don't want to put much effort into maintenance, BMW sweetens the incentive to lease by stating (approximately) 15K intervals.

If you're using BMW 5W-30 high-perf synthetic, you are generally safe going with 8K intervals.

Quad, does your BMW really spec. 15k mi. by the dash computer? My `94 usually comes to 9k between changes and a `02 model I drove last fall seemed to be 15k km (9k mi.) also. Surprised to see the interval that long...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back