2k miles on oil in 1 year...go longer?

I've only put 2,000 miles on the Kizashi in the last year (also had a Prius which I used for work and most running around before I retired and sold it...now using the Suzuki exclusively but obviously not driving much). The current fill is PP high mileage with a M1 filter. I was considering just leaving it in there through the winter...about 6 more months due to the low mileage on the oil...good idea or change it out?

Every situation is different and time is a factor in oil breakdown ( albeit a miniscule one by itself), I would go the normal oil change cycle ( which is exactly what I do as well) except in extreme// long term cases of storage.

I've only put 2,000 miles on the Kizashi in the last year (also had a Prius which I used for work and most running around before I retired and sold it...now using the Suzuki exclusively but obviously not driving much). The current fill is PP high mileage with a M1 filter. I was considering just leaving it in there through the winter...about 6 more months due to the low mileage on the oil...good idea or change it out?
I have a 2012 Kizashi and am using PUP 5W-30. After 13 months it only has about 3K miles. I'll change it next spring. BTW how do you like your Suzuki? They are pretty rare cars now.

How much short tripping are you doing? Personally I think If you get a good drive in that car after 5-6 short trips, that would be better for the car. Let's face little old ladies probably do a bunch of short tripping for years and they change the oil at much longer intervals. I would leave that oil in until next spring its a good oil and filter combo. If it's driving your nuts, then leave the filter on and just change the oil.

I’d go ahead and change it now. I change it in my truck every 3 months and usually it only has a couple hundred miles on each oil change because I don’t drive it a lot anymore.

I was thinking about just changing the oil and leaving the filter in (filters on this are a bear to get out...always a mess...,). As far as the car, it's the best vehicle I've ever owned...bought it new and now 102k on it (AWD CVT). The only repairs were a small transfer case seal leak early on (fixed under warranty) and the cabin heater fan failed (replaced with a junkyard unit and fine since). I've replaced the brakes once...still on it's original suspension with no problems. I replaced the CVT fluid at 60k and 95k with Redline fluid (added a bottle of Lubegard CVT additive to the fluid at the 95k service...figured it couldn't hurt). I just changed out the transfer case and rear diff fluid...had Redline in it but just went with the Supertech synthetic stuff this time. The car uses no oil and I still average high 20's to around 30 mpg...have seen 34 on a highway trip. The interior shows no wear...even the driver seat looks great. There is no rust on it (I was getting it rustproofed annually at Known but will be skipping this year). It still drives and handles great...much like a small BMW/Audi...which Suzuki benchmarked in their design. Plus, except for the limited ground clearance it is a beast in the snow with the awd. As you can tell, I really like the car. At this point I plan to keep it until something pricey fails (like the CVT although so far it's fine...I drive it easy). The car is essentially worthless and owes me nothing...hoping to get a couple more years (or more) out of it.

I was thinking about just changing the oil and leaving the filter in (filters on this are a bear to get out...always a mess...,). As far as the car, it's the best vehicle I've ever owned...bought it new and now 102k on it (AWD CVT). The only repairs were a small transfer case seal leak early on (fixed under warranty) and the cabin heater fan failed (replaced with a junkyard unit and fine since). I've replaced the brakes once...still on it's original suspension with no problems. I replaced the CVT fluid at 60k and 95k with Redline fluid (added a bottle of Lubegard CVT additive to the fluid at the 95k service...figured it couldn't hurt). I just changed out the transfer case and rear diff fluid...had Redline in it but just went with the Supertech synthetic stuff this time. The car uses no oil and I still average high 20's to around 30 mpg...have seen 34 on a highway trip. The interior shows no wear...even the driver seat looks great. There is no rust on it (I was getting it rustproofed annually at Known but will be skipping this year). It still drives and handles great...much like a small BMW/Audi...which Suzuki benchmarked in their design. Plus, except for the limited ground clearance it is a beast in the snow with the awd. As you can tell, I really like the car. At this point I plan to keep it until something pricey fails (like the CVT although so far it's fine...I drive it easy). The car is essentially worthless and owes me nothing...hoping to get a couple more years (or more) out of it.
I’m glad you have had good luck out of it. I don’t know anybody that likes those particular cars and I don’t know why but it’s good you have had good luck out of it. I’ve never changed the oil in one so I’m not sure what it’s like to get the filter out. I have never just changed the oil without the filter but it may be ok in this case.

Just went over to the UOA section and, as expected, no issues with doing a 18-24 or even a 30month OCI on a good synthetic(and no extreme climate or driving).
One that is 30month is also a 20k mile OCI, so yeah. Personally not changing oil before 4-4,5k miles or 2 years. Haven't seen a bad UOA or anything.

I’m glad you have had good luck out of it. I don’t know anybody that likes those particular cars and I don’t know why but it’s good you have had good luck out of it. I’ve never changed the oil in one so I’m not sure what it’s like to get the filter out. I have never just changed the oil without the filter but it may be ok in this case.
They are fantastic cars. Suzuki did a poor job of marketing them. Mine is the SLS AWD model and rides and handles like but better than the three series BMWs. Like the OP stated about his, mine has been almost trouble free. I debadged it and that has caused me many times to almost be rear ended from drivers getting too close to check out what it is.

A rare and very underestimated car.

They are fantastic cars. Suzuki did a poor job of marketing them. Mine is the SLS AWD model and rides and handles like but better than the three series BMWs. Like the OP stated about his, mine has been almost trouble free. I debadged it and that has caused me many times to almost be rear ended from drivers getting too close to check out what it is.

A rare and very underestimated car.
Does yours have the CVT? I was looking at them online it says they were also made with a 6 speed which is what I would want. I have heard horrible things about the CVT in all brands not just these.

Mine has the JATCO CVT with paddle shifters. It acted up a few times when it overheated at high speed during a very hot spell several summers ago. I let it cool down and it was ok. There was a TSB about that so I got the new software installed by a Mitsubishi dealer contracted by Suzuki to honor the warrantee. No problem since then but they are prone to cooking the CVT oil. I need to change mine.

If you don't need the AWD feature the 6speed MT is the way to go. If you find one and it isn't a rat, snag it. The car has about 184 hp and really scoots. They aren't worth much now because they have been orphaned but in the future they will appreciate if only because they are so rare.

Why change oil so often? With less than 1K on it? Do you just like being under there?
No lol just I have heard oil breaks down after some time and in its past life it hasn’t been taken proper care of except by the first owner then when the third owner had it before I did she ran it 10,000 past an oil change. It doesn’t use oil at all I run Castrol GTX 10W-40 in it before she would just go to a certain quick lube place and get it done. And I just can’t stand the thought of going over a few months on an oil change. The oil is still very clean in it right now I’ll probably hold off a little longer this time since Walmart discontinued the 10W-40 GTX so I am down to 14 quarts left so I might extend it to 6 months.

Mine has the JATCO CVT with paddle shifters. It acted up a few times when it overheated at high speed during a very hot spell several summers ago. I let it cool down and it was ok. There was a TSB about that so I got the new software installed by a Mitsubishi dealer contracted by Suzuki to honor the warrantee. No problem since then but they are prone to cooking the CVT oil. I need to change mine.

If you don't need the AWD feature the 6speed MT is the way to go. If you find one and it isn't a rat, snag it. The car has about 184 hp and really scoots. They aren't worth much now because they have been orphaned but in the future they will appreciate if only because they are so rare.
Cool right now I can’t get another one because I have 7 cars and I’m out of space lol 😂 at the DMV they told me if I title another one before getting rid of one that I would have to get a Dealers License since the county I live in limits the amount of cars you can own.

No need to as long as you check the level of it and all other fluids. Cars are not as open as they once were. So just take it on a 5+ mile highway drive and check the fluids and tire pressure.

Back