2AZ-FE motor oil burn off or oil consumption???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted By: crazy_raccoon
Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Is it same 2.4l as was in the camry that year? I know someone who had excessive consumption and the dealer did a test to measure how much loss and had part of engine fixed under warranty. Im unsure of the specifics but id check TSB's and recalls.

Yes it's the same 2.4L motor the Camry used during that generation and I've already stated that I took my car into the dealership to do a oil consumption test based off the TSB twice and passed both times according to the dealership.

Same dealership? You may want a third opinion from another dealer.

For the Toyota "warranty" fix, you only get 2 tries for warranty coverage. if it passes both, you are out of luck for warranty repair, and get to pay out of pocket for new pistons and rings.

Is it same 2.4l as was in the camry that year? I know someone who had excessive consumption and the dealer did a test to measure how much loss and had part of engine fixed under warranty. Im unsure of the specifics but id check TSB's and recalls.

Yes it's the same 2.4L motor the Camry used during that generation and I've already stated that I took my car into the dealership to do a oil consumption test based off the TSB twice and passed both times according to the dealership.

I wanted to but I'm stationed at Bragg and the nearest town that has a Toyota dealership is over an hour away. It's not that bad but being in the military one cannot simply just ask off in my unit to take care of personal stuff that can be taken care of locally (in their eyes).

Originally Posted By: blupupher

For the Toyota "warranty" fix, you only get 2 tries for warranty coverage. if it passes both, you are out of luck for warranty repair, and get to pay out of pocket for new pistons and rings.

They told me after 2 tests that I can pay for additional oil consumption tests and have it repaired under warranty if I was still within the window which I am no longer in. My 10 years expired in December '16.

Originally Posted By: Olas
The problem is with your rings, stem seals and/or PCV.

Identify the issue and replace the offending parts(s)

I most likely think/assume it's the rings or drain holes in the pistons. My PCV was fine but I changed it anyways since I bought a new OEM one.

Originally Posted By: merconvvv
Try pp 10w30 or qsud 10w30.
Atleast you got some info on these.

If my car was listed to use either 5W-20 or 0W-20 why use those you suggested? As far as I am aware of is my year, the '07 Scion tC is one of the cars with the tweaked 2AZ-FE with upped compression.

You are neither the first nor the last to have this problem with this particular Toyota engine.
To me this a simple example of faulty design.
I'll put my flame suit on now, since I'm sure to be bombarded by incoming from the many Toyotas are the best cars in terms of reliability and durability fanboys.
For you, a strong solvent like Kreen might free up the rings.
Failing that, engine disassembly and mechanically opening up the oil return holes in the ring lands will be required.
No easy solutions here and it really is too bad that Toyota won't step up to the plate on this.
This is where class-action lawsuits come from.
For every greedy lawyer filing one there's an irresponsible corporation that refuses to take responsibility for the failings of its products.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
You are neither the first nor the last to have this problem with this particular Toyota engine.
To me this a simple example of faulty design.
I'll put my flame suit on now, since I'm sure to be bombarded by incoming from the many Toyotas are the best cars in terms of reliability and durability fanboys.
For you, a strong solvent like Kreen might free up the rings.
Failing that, engine disassembly and mechanically opening up the oil return holes in the ring lands will be required.
No easy solutions here and it really is too bad that Toyota won't step up to the plate on this.
This is where class-action lawsuits come from.
For every greedy lawyer filing one there's an irresponsible corporation that refuses to take responsibility for the failings of its products.

Yeah unfortunately for the past two years knowing about these issues and trying to solve it I concur with you on this 100%. Now with Kreen, I've never used it. Do you know a good interval on using this as I've too read that this may solve my problem?

Go to the Kroil site, the makers of Kreen.
They have instructions on using the product that are far better than anything I could tell you.
This stuff does work, as many Saturn owners can attest.

I would still attempt to get Toyota to fix it. Contact Corporate, threaten to go to the media etc. I wouldnt give up without a valiant fight! The data shows its a defect, make them own up to it.

I have the 2004 camry 2az-fe 2.4L . Approaching 195,000 miles. I put whatever i can get my hands on cheapest lol i did notice consumption rates change depending on what I filled it with. I dont mean to say nothing bad about other brands but I did notice less oil consumption when using QSUD 5w-30 only lost about half a quart over a 5k OTi. I got that way back when they had the $10 rebate . Currently filled with QSHiMi syn blend 10w-30 and still sitting Perfectly full after 2,000 miles into the OCi. I feel the 2az-fe likes quaker products. Just my opinion.

I recently posted this in another 2AZ-FE discussion:

My oil consumption dropped SIGNIFICANTLY with this oil. Maybe it will work for you also...

2002 Toyota ECHO (1NZ-FE) with 210k+ ... 90% highway travel at maybe 100 miles a day. I was consuming a quart every 900-1100 miles.

Purchased the car with 150k. For the next 60k I used my entire stash of Pennzoil Ultra 5w-30 & 10w-30. During that time, I also completed 2 full Kreen treatments and replace the PCV valve. The car doesn't leak or drip anything. The engine looks clean and it doesn't smoke.

Switched to MaxLife Full Synthetic 5w-30 ... I'm now at 5,400 miles and I am down about 3/4 quart.

Originally Posted By: Insertcoolname
I have the 2004 camry 2az-fe 2.4L ... Currently filled with QSHiMi syn blend 10w-30 and still sitting Perfectly full after 2,000 miles into the OCi. ...
Because yours is too old to have one of the defective engines, which were about 2007-2010, as I recall.

I would still attempt to get Toyota to fix it. Contact Corporate, threaten to go to the media etc. I wouldnt give up without a valiant fight! The data shows its a defect, make them own up to it.

Good luck with that. I've already tried and so have so many others for about 10 years or more now. There was a lawsuit going on but I have no idea where it stands now. All I can say is that those who did get theirs fixed either worked well or the car performed even worse. Everyone sort of just faded away and I assume it's because this engine is now old and they probably traded in their vehicles for something else.

Try some Castrol Edge it may burn less than the other 2 oils. $25 for a 5 quart jug at Walmart.

Originally Posted By: CR94
Originally Posted By: Insertcoolname
I have the 2004 camry 2az-fe 2.4L ... Currently filled with QSHiMi syn blend 10w-30 and still sitting Perfectly full after 2,000 miles into the OCi. ...
Because yours is too old to have one of the defective engines, which were about 2007-2010, as I recall.

That is not correct. Earlier version of this engine also had serious, perhaps even more critical problems, albeit for different reasons (head bolt stretch). This can result in the same issue (or coolant loss). This was a very problem-prone engine. Along with the tranny in the 99-01 Lexus ES, this was perhaps Toyota's most notorious engineering blunder. Ok, gotta include the WS transmission fluid and sealed transmissions; another massive, GM-scale or perhaps Ford 2-piece spark plug type blunder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back