290-295 Track Temps...Need Help w/ "Perfect" Oil!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey All,

Newbie here trying to take in as much info as possible...wealth of great info. Anyway, did a search but didn't come up with anything directly related to my situation. here's my car's story..

-Car = 2000 BMW MZ3 Coupe (i.e. the "shoe" looking One)
-Engine Mods = simple bolt-ons..Intake, Software
-Tracked on a Regular Basis
-Track temps of 290-295 are standard(yes, it's a known issue with this car...oil cooler is on the way in the next few months)
- Used as a second car but still sees a fair amount of street time
- Been using BMW 5W-30 for street, Mobil 1 15-50 for track events only

***With all the above taken into account, which synthetic should I run (I don't want to change before and after every event like I have been doing)?****

-Redline has told me their new 5W-40 is the perfect candidate
- I'm very intrigued by the German Castrol 5W-30 but concerned about the high temps I see at the track with this oil...I would run this if it could hold up to 2-3 track events, 4-5 AutoX's + say 6,000-7,000 street miles in between changes

Thanks all and any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
MSH

Yup, with those temps I wouldn't go near a 30 weight. Do you have an oil pressure gauge? How does the pressure hold up during lapping at those temps? My friend was running an Amsoil 30 weight and he had to pull off later in the day to let the oil/engine cool off and bring the pressure back up. I also vote for M15w50 or the Castrol 10w60.

Like quadrun eluded to in his post, doesn't BMW spec' out a 60 weight in high-performance applications?

First off, I as well think a 30-weight is too light for this application, but only analysis and an oil pressure gauge will back me up...

With this in mind, I would have no problems recommending Mobil1 15w-50.

You do have an oil pressure gauge right?

How has pressure looked on the track with the 15w-50? Have you ever used any other oils on the track?

For a lighter oil, I think Mobil Delvac1 5w-40 could also work.

Amsoil and Redline oils could also fit the bill...

Hey all, The Castrol 10-60 is recommended for the S54 engines only (i.e. the 2001-2002 MZ3 Coupes/Roadsters and the S54 M3's). My car is a 2000 with the S52 engine and they recommend the 5W-30. The S52 engines (same engine as the '96-'99 M3's) do not have the engine failure issues that the later model M Coupes and M3's are running into.

MSH

Redline 5W40 or 10W40, Delvac 1 or even Amsoils 20W50 which I've heard some good feedback on here. Motul 300V available in several viscosities and used worldwide in many race type/hot engines and last Castrol 10W60 even. I agree with the others no 30W for your engine/temps.

Whoops...sorry guys for the second post

Anyway, no pressure gauge as of yet, but I will be adding a VDO gauge when I do my oil cooler upgrade in the next three months or so.

MSH

quote:

Originally posted by yetiboy:
My car is a 2000 with the S52 engine and they recommend the 5W-30.

...And I don't think this recommendation was based on longevity of the engine at the track with 290F temps.

You're looking for longevity of the engine, but with the ability to run a good time on the street, but still be able to run the track without changing.

Alright, I'm saying Mobil Delvac1 5w-40. It should be able to hold up to the track temps just fine, but will still be able to run for a good distance on the street, and will keep the engine clean with heavy-duty additive package.

(Hmmm...wonder how my good 'ol Pennz. Long-Life 15w-40 would do in a situation like this...hmmmm
grin.gif
)

Lets compare the two Mobil oils:

Mobil 1 15W-50
SAE Grade 15W-50
cSt @ 40º C 125
cSt @ 100º C 17.4
Viscosity Index, ASTM D 2270 153
Sulfated Ash, wt%, ASTM D 874 1.3
HTHS Viscosity, mPa·s @ 150ºC ASTM D 4683 5.11
Pour Point, ºC, ASTM D 97 -45
Flash Point, ºC, ASTM D 92 230
Density @15º C kg/l, ASTM D 4052 0.864

Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40
SAE Grade 5W-40
cSt @ 40ºC 102
cSt @ 100ºC 14.8
Viscosity Index, ASTM D 2270 151
Sulfated Ash, wt%, ASTM D 874 1.35
Total Base #, mg KOH/g, ASTM D 2896 12
Pour Point, ºC, ASTM D 97 -45
Flash Point, ºC, ASTM D 92 226
Density @ 15ºC kg/l, ASTM D 4052 0.854

Just For Fun: Pennz. Long-Life 15w-40
cSt @ 40C 118
cSt @ 100C 15.5
Viscosity Index 136
Sulfated Ash 1.5
Total Base # 12
HTHS Viscosity 4.3
Pour Point -36C
Flash Point 224C

[ October 23, 2003, 01:06 AM: Message edited by: Jelly ]

Thanks all...

I'm going to try and find a local retailer that stocks the Motul 300V 10-40 and 15-50. I think it will be between the Redline 10-40, one of the Motuls, or the Amsoil 20-50(probably whichever is cheapest) My track event is this Monday at Laguna Seca, so I will change out the OEM BMW 5-30 (I guess let it drain overnight to get as much out as possible??...any recommendations) to the new oil this weekend. I will probably get in three track events, 4-5 autocrosses and 3,000-3,500 street miles before my first Blackstone analysis. I'll report back the data to you all and let you know how it goes.

Thanks Again,
MSH

Hi,

I use Delvac 1 in my Z3 2.8 ( S52 ) and it is an excellent compromise - thick/thin
This oil holds viscosity very well over extended drain intervals in heavy diesel engines and has a HT/HS of 4.1
It seems ideally suited to the S52 engine

Regards

Wait until you get your oil cooler, then see what the new oil temps are like before you decide. I think a good 0w40 or 5w40 would do very well here. Most likely Redline 5w40 would be the better choice.

[ October 23, 2003, 05:02 AM: Message edited by: Patman ]

Amsoil 0w-30 has lowered my friends Vette Temps by 10-20 degrees. Maybe there S2k 20w-50 can do the same.

quote:

Originally posted by Doug Hillary:
Hi,

I use Delvac 1 in my Z3 2.8 ( S52 ) and it is an excellent compromise - thick/thin
This oil holds viscosity very well over extended drain intervals in heavy diesel engines and has a HT/HS of 4.1
It seems ideally suited to the S52 engine

Hey Doug....not trying to step on toes here, but the Z3 2.8 should be the M52 motor---2793cc 189 HP's......
For the Z3 line-up the S52 motor only came in the MZ3 version's through 2000---3152 cc 240 HP's

You can get all the specific's of the various Z3 & MZ3 engines at 368s.com (website dedicated to the M Coupe) http://368s.com/reference/node.php?id=19

Here's a quick link to my car at the same site with a description of all my mods and pictures..
http://368s.com/car.phtml?CarID=93

Thanks,
MSH

I would go for the Redline 5w-40, especially since they are a Bay Area company and their oil is widely available in the area. Their 40 weight oils are pretty healthy and have a very high HTHS of 4.6.

Cary

Allright all...I've made my choice (since I'm under time constraints with my track event this Monday)

Motul 300V is not available locally yet. The distributor says it will be soon, but it's way out of my price range at $25.90 for a 2L Bottle

Amsoil 20-50 would be good, but it's a bit more $$$ than Redline (not much though)

Redline 5W-40 would be it, but amazingly, it is not carried by any of the local retailers. Must be ordered directly from Redline, but I don't have that much time

So the winner is....Redline 10-40...

Final question...what is the best way to get my engine as "clean" as possible so that my first analysis with the Redline 10-40 is as pure as possible (BMW OEM 5-30 in there right now - low miles on the oil--only about 500 or so).

Thanks again for all of your feedback!!!

MSH

With only about 500 miles on the BMW 5W-30 Synthetic oil I would just drain the "old" oil and pour the new Redline 10W-40 in. The wear metals in your current oil should be very low. Of course there will still be some of the BMW Synthetic oil in your crankcase when you put the Redline in but I think the effect on the fresh Redline oil will be minimal. Still your first Redline UOA will not give you an exact idea of just how well Redline will work.

quote:

Originally posted by Sin City:
With only about 500 miles on the BMW 5W-30 Synthetic oil I would just drain the "old" oil and pour the new Redline 10W-40 in. The wear metals in your current oil should be very low. Of course there will still be some of the BMW Synthetic oil in your crankcase when you put the Redline in but I think the effect on the fresh Redline oil will be minimal. Still your first Redline UOA will not give you an exact idea of just how well Redline will work.

Sin...Yeah that's what I'm going to have to do....My track event is Monday, so I have no time to run the AutoRx. Thanks for the feedback

MSH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back