265/70 16's for '03 Tahoe

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Mom needs tires for her Tahoe. 265/70r16.

I told her to get Michelin Cross Terrain's. There is a SuperWalMart near her home she wants tire from them. Plus when she goes out of town, the places she visits have WalMart's near by so if she needs to replace a tire, it will be easy for her.

WalMart had Mich Cross Terrains, Goodyear Tracker, Continental's, BFG Long Trail (?), Uniroyal and some others.

She wants low noise, long life, great traction in dry and wet.

Plus I want to buy her Tahoe when she buys a new vehicle and it would be great if the tires were still in good shape in the future.

Her OEM Firestones are horrible. Even she does not like them.

I belive my recomendation is sound, just wanted to hear from any CrossTerrain owners.

You thoughts.....

Thanks

Cross Terrains aren't worth the money you pay for them. If you want a good tire that isn't as expensive as the Cross Terrains, go with the Goodyear Fortera HLs or any form of Fortera (SilentArmor or TripleTred). Something cheaper but still good are the Firestone Desination LEs (entirely different from the Firestone Wilderness LE tires that come with the Tahoe). The Cross Terrains haven't lasted long on my father's Grand Cherokee. Maybe about 30K miles from them and the Grand is a lot lighter. Not worth the money IMHO. You can get a tire that is as good, if not better for a lot cheaper.

Ditto on the goodyears...

Or put BFG all terrains on there... good tires, good looking, long lasting... and if noise is an issue, well, she probably shouldnt have bought a truck with p265 tires.

JMH

I would have picked up some Michelin LTX M&S if they had been available, as they're a decent road tire with long life, one of those 'ok at most things not the best at anything' products. I ended up with Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor as they have some impressive features; 50k tire life warranty (rare for a load range E tire), severe snow rated (BFG ATs are one of the few other 'regular' tires with a snow rating), and they're kind of a 'light AT' or aggressive highway tire with decent grooves for rain. The BFG AT, which is the natural tire for comparison, has some complaints about rain traction when worn a bit. The Silen tArmors are surprisingly quiet, as quiet as the humble Michelin LTX A/S tires that I took off, turn easily, are smooth when the road is smooth, and per the tire guys balanced with fairly little weight. You feel the road a bit more when it's rough or hitting bumps and such (I'm running 65 psi up front and 60 psi on the rear, which is a bit higher than most would run), so I'll guess that they have stiffer sidewalls than the Michelins. They're expensive though, maybe 'silly money' for some.

quote:

She wants low noise, long life, great traction in dry and wet.

I belive my recomendation is sound, just wanted to hear from any CrossTerrain owners.

You thoughts.....

Thanks [/QB]

The cross terrains fit the bill.

The Michelin Cross Terrain's at WalMart have a 60k mileage warranty. My original recomendation to her were 275/70 r16 Michelin LTX M/S. That size is not common though, and would have to be probably special ordered from anyplace she buys them from if she had a blow out and needed a replacement.

If they wear out quickly like JeepZJ's dad's, they would be replaced prorated.

JHZR2, There is no need for BFG AT's. I do not think they would corner or brake as well as SUV style on-road tires. They are great off road, I bought a pair of 31x10.50's for a 1980 Chevy Silverado back in the day. As for the noise, the design and tread material makes a big difference. db may be the same, but different tires have different drones or tones too. My Mom is a car nut too and knows driving a truck means living with truck noises.

I dont have any experience with the GY Fotera's. They look cheap to me for some reason, but I have not ruled them out.

Well, I would rather not have to go through the hassle of prorated replacement all the time. 30K out of a 60K tire... not cool. Especially with how scary the traction is. The Fortera is a stronger tire.

Actually, I had Cross Terrains on my old Jeep.. Yokohama Geolandar H/T-S GO51s were better than the Cross Terrains at half the price but nowhere near as good as the BFGs now on my Jeep. The Jeep has traction now. It really gets of the line and I rarely lose traction, wet or dry. The only time you will experience increased road noise (and its not much) is around 35-45mph... after that, the wind noise from the seals overpowers the sound of the BFGs. I've heard of BFGs going about 80K on Grand Cherokees... I hope that holds true.

Go to the MICHELIN site and see what they recommend. I wouldn't hesitate to go with the Cross Terrain. Here in Dallas it was a toss-up for my brother-in-law on my sister's Suburban, and he went with the LTX.

Tirerack shows them as good, and, throughout Texas, wet weather (after months of dry) makes a tire that is excellent in wet weather a priority.
The other qualifications made point straight at the Cross Terrain.

Too many satisfied customers of those two not to keep it in mind. IMO, the default tire for a pickup is the LTX, a competitor would have to beat it in every way, price be ****ed at just past dusk in a torrential downpour.

I'd go for the LTX M/S hands-down. I have them on my '02 Explorer and luv 'em so far. They're well worth the small permium over the competition.

ONE thing to remember about WalMart tires . . . they have some versions of regular manufacturer's tires that are available ONLY at WalMart. Hence, if you buy something that's built specifically for WalMart, THAT's where you have to take them for warranty issues--not the regular Michelin or whatever tire store. Same with some BFG tires at Discount Tire or other similar situations.

Many of our customers have LTX M+S tires on their GM pickups and Tahoes/Suburbans with no problems or complaints (compared to some of the OEM tires that came on the vehicles). When they do that upgrade, that usually is the end of their tire problems or concerns.

NO need to upsize from the production size either, by observation.

CBODY67

Agreed CBODY67. I bought some BF Goodrich Excentia tires at Wal-mart for an Acura RSX that BFG only sells to Wal-mart. They were junk!!! Took them back in less than a week and said take 'em off. Don't buy name brand tires that are sold exclusivily to Wal-mart, they are not the same quality as the tires sold other stores. Probably better off buying Wal-mart's house brand tires. If the tires are sold every else including Wal-mart then go for it.

I have a set of Michelin Select LTs on my '04 Tahoe. These are the tires sold thru Wal-Mart, but I bought them at an independent tire dealership. I think they are a great set of tires. They are very quiet on the highway and have good wet traction. I can really tell a difference with the handling vs. the OEM Firestones.

If you go to the Michelin website you will see how the Select LTs compare vs. the LTX M/S and Cross Terrains. The independent tire dealer said he has seen large SUVs get 80K+ miles on these tires. I wouldn't have a problem buying these tires again.

You can special order name brand tires through Walmart. Sometimes you can get a little better pricing on them as well. You would then be covered under the mfgrs warranty should something happen. There should be a special order book near the tire display. If not, then ask.

She bought the Michelin Cross Terrains. I wish she would have bought the 265/75r16 or the 275/70r16's, but oh well.

She reports vast improvement in road noise, ride, braking, and cornering.

The OEM Firestones were sent to were they and other Firestones belong, the dump.

My '02 Bravada has the Cross Terrains on them. 72k miles, original tires. They will soon be replaced by Goodyear Fortera TripleTreds. I've only had the car a week, so I really can't comment on the Michelins other then they seem to have worn pretty well. I have no complaints with the limited driving I've done with them. Good luck.

edvanp....I sure would be interested in your comments on those GY Fortera TripleTreds once you get them. I admired those tires before I bought the Michelins I currently have for my Tahoe.

When a colleague of mine needed to replace the Michelin Cross Terrains on his Envoy, he asked me for suggestions. My recommendation was Pirelli Scorpion STR and he's quite happy with them.

They're worth considering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back