265/65/18 Continental light truck tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 08' Silverado Z71 currently has Goodyear wrangler SRAs with about 40% tread. They are horrible even under light acceleration in the wet. I'm thinking of replacing them early. Looking at a couple Continental tires and possibly Cooper discoverer SRX.

What are your guys experience with the Continental tires below? Looking for a decent midrange A/S tire. Truck is only driven 5-7k miles a year.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
My Dad had a set of the LX20 on his 2014 GMC Sierra...great tires but they did not wear that well. He got around 45,000 miles on the set with regular rotations.

The HT is a new design and there is also a new LX25 that is replacing the LX20. One improvement is to be treadwear.

Last edited:
Another option you might want to consider is the General Grabber HTS 60.
Check out the Tirerack test, it performed well. Oh, Continental owns General.

Might be more than you want to spend but I have the YOKOHAMA
YK-HTX on my f150 and like them. Good wear and good wet traction. I have about 40k on a set now

Originally Posted by BeerCan
Might be more than you want to spend but I have the YOKOHAMA
YK-HTX on my f150 and like them. Good wear and good wet traction. I have about 40k on a set now

Thanks, I'll look into those as well. Up to $200/tire if fine with me. I'd buy Michelin LTX's, but this truck doesn't get driven much.

I'm struggling with the idea of putting on $1200 worth of tires as those will dry rot just as fast as an $800 set. Realistically this truck will get 30-40k miles put on it in the next 6-7 years. By then I'll have another set of hard slippery tires like I do currently.

Last edited:
What do you need the truck to do? My truck is getting similar miles and right now has Hankook ATM's for summer and Hankook iPikes for winter. I can't compare to other tires (it's not like a buy a set every year) but i'm content with their operation. Cheap and get the job done, and when they age out I plan to remind myself of that fact.

I did the ATM's as I wasn't driving that much and decided that I wanted more traction on wet grass than a highway all season would afford me. If I never left pavement I might have chosen differently.

Originally Posted by donnyj08
[ I'd buy Michelin LTX's, but this truck doesn't get driven much.

I'm struggling with the idea of putting on $1200 worth of tires as those will dry rot just as fast as an $800 set. Realistically this truck will get 30-40k miles put on it in the next 6-7 years. By then I'll have another set of hard slippery tires like I do currently.

Michelin LTX's were, by far, the worst tire that I've ever owned. They were the most expensive and the worst.

I did the same thing to my LTX's, that you're doing now. I took them off at less than 40k. Then I sold them on Craigslist. At least I got some of my money back.

I've been considering a set of the LX20's as well, to replace a used set of Goodyear Assurance CS tires that come on a set of 18" wheels that I bought.

I didn't like the LTX either. I always feel like I'm the only one when I post that. Nice to have company
smile.gif

I appreciate your experiences. I've had good luck and performance with Continentals and Coopers.

They seem to perform above their price point IMO. I'll likely go with some LX20s

I forget what way it is but go a size wider or a size taller sidewall and the price drops and there are more options. I had a truck with those size tires on it and I think the next size wider was what I did.

I just bought a set of continental TerrainContact ATs and they have been excellent so far. Probably about 3,000 miles on them now. I would shy away from the LX20 you have listed - my fears with continentals is the brand seems to have rashes of sidewall problems. I've experienced it 2x in my family and lots of past reviews are plagued with them. the TerrainContact is a new tire, and is their first try at an AT.

They drive soft for the first 1000 miles, and running them at 37-38 psi helps. Mine firmed up after that. They are quiet, stick to the ground, do rain well, and aren't upset by junk in the road.

I'd recommend them, but not the others. I wanted to put the new LX25 on my wife's CUV this week, but since it's a continuation of the LX20, am taking my own advice and going with something else.

Oh - towed about 600 miles last week with them, no problems.

-m

I just replaced the YOKOHAMA YK-HTX (mentioned above) on my Toyota Tacoma. They are rated for 70K miles and I replaced them at 65K with 3/32" on them. So they do last. I would've bought them again, but they didn't have them in stock. I ended up upgrading to the Michelin Defender LTX M/S. They are a little pricier. I just got them 2 days ago so I don't know if I like them better than the Yokohamas yet.

I'm very happy with Sumitomo Encounter HT, don't see much endorsement for them here thou, nice tires and good price too.
I was considering LTX/MS and HT51 as well but chose H speed rated tire with same load rating as OEM.

We had a set of 18" Conti LX20's on our Murano we owned back in 2012. Wife didn't really like them and we moved back to Michelin on our vehicles. Before she was introduced to Michelin tires, she had no concept "good" brands could feel so different. Now I suppose she's spoiled....I've used Michelin a lot over the years, she'd never even driven a vehicle equipped with them. She won't now look at almost any tire unless it's a Michelin, the difference was so dramatic.

Personally, I didn't think the Contis were that bad....a tad noiser, a tad more squirrely in the wet vs. the Michelin LTX MS2's we had on our pickup.

I had P-Metric (not LT) Continental CrossContact LX20's on my 2005 Pilot from 173K to 214K miles when I sold it. While not quite the mud and snow tire the LTX M/S2's were, they were good wet tires and I felt no need to replace them any time soon.
I didn't like the LTX either. I always feel like I'm the only one when I post that. Nice to have company
smile.gif

There were, and are, many different Michelin LTX tires. Most of their Light Truck P-Metric and LT tires have "LTX" in the name. Any discussion like this one about just "LTX" is not informative.

smile.gif

BeerCan … we might need a 12 pack or so … my problem (and BiL's) is they chip on our gravel roads … and if doing only 10k a year getting the Michy "root rot" …

On my 2018 Z71 … pulled the 265/65 Goodyears asap (gave to a teen in need of tires for older F150) for GT Grabber APT in 275/70 … Happy with this tire …

Originally Posted by 4WD
smile.gif

BeerCan … we might need a 12 pack or so … my problem (and BiL's) is they chip on our gravel roads … and if doing only 10k a year getting the Michy "root rot" …

On my 2018 Z71 … pulled the 265/65 Goodyears asap (gave to a teen in need of tires for older F150) for GT Grabber APT in 275/70 … Happy with this tire …

Those Generals are a rebranded Continental terrain contact A/T I believe as Continental owns General Tire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back