-25C Cold start 2018 Ecoboost

Short clip from this morning of a -25 cold start. The Ecoboost gives off a puff of black smoke upon start up when ever its cold out.

Oil is dealer bulk Mobil Super 1000 5W30 that was changed last week when the oil pan gasket was changed, 12,000km on truck.

I went up there to Alberta to deliver a load of specialized cement back in 2011 (Slave Lake) and that's the coldest I've ever been.

Could that be an air injection pump (AIP) similar to the system used in my Tundra?
It pumps air into the exhaust to reduce emissions on cold start.

Wow -25C and Mobil Super 5000 conventional.
Surprised they failed to use synthetic for an Alberta winter.
I'd have changed it and gone with a 0w-30 by now.

I wish there were cell phones for video about 1992. I parked my 1986 S10 Blazer 4.3 at Crawford Notch NH. Hiked up Mt. Jackson and came down quite a distance to Elephant head to winter camp. Once the temps got to -30F around 6pm I couldn't bear it (It was so cold I camped low just in case) and packed up and headed to the truck. I've never heard a more scary noise at start up. It was so drawwwwwn out and I didn't think it would start. It started and you could hear the engine struggle. Conventional oil back then. Don't remember the grade. I believe 5-30. I do remember 20 minutes or more and still freezing in the cab.

Man I hope not, I've been remote starting my vehicles for years. First thing I do when I get a used vehicle is put a remote start in it, even my old 89 Sierra has one.
I do as well, I just didn’t know if anything was different as far as starting goes with a remote start vs turning the key

Completely normal.

My 2018 3.5 EB does the same thing when it gets cold out. Last year we had -41c and the truck fired up like a champ despite not being plugged in. I run PP 5w30 in mine simply because I got it cheap during a black friday sale at crappy tire.

FYI -41c is -41.8f. It's friggin cold and that's when you realize that the remote start is a thing of beauty!

Neil

I really can’t stand these wide angle lenses on smartphones, the video image looks stretched.
Nice cold start btw.

Short clip from this morning of a -25 cold start. The Ecoboost gives off a puff of black smoke upon start up when ever its cold out.

Oil is dealer bulk Mobil Super 1000 5W30 that was changed last week when the oil pan gasket was changed, 12,000km on truck.

Looks more like a blown head gasket to me. Had a Caddy Northstar that did the same thing.;)

a -25 cold start
Is that air temperature or (bogus :D) wind chill temperature ?

We get cold temperatures here but nothing that low (we can see below-zero F frequently) and cold starts typically aren't anything more than 1-3 seconds longer cranking than normal. Is that about the same for you ?

We get cold temperatures here but nothing that low (we can see below-zero F frequently) and cold starts typically aren't anything more than 1-3 seconds longer cranking than normal. Is that about the same for you ?
-25C is -13F-we get temps that cold here, about once in a blue moon. That start wasn't bad, the cloud coming from the exhaust was normal, that's water vapor condensing from the catalytic converter.

-13F-we get temps that cold here, about once in a blue moon
Oh yeah, I meant we don't get that cold routinely. 0º F or dipping into the negatives is normal though..... I don't put much value in the hyped-up wind chill values that the news/weather folks get all glommy-and-doomy over.

That start wasn't bad, the cloud coming from the exhaust was normal, that's water vapor condensing from the catalytic converter.
Yeap, seemed completely fine and normal.

No that was actual outside temperature. Probably get another 20 degrees colder before winter is over.

I'll try and get a video when its -40ish. Even with block heater plugged in they still sound bad

I've got a oil pan heater on my 2013 f150 3.5 eco that I plug in for about 2 hours on -25 and lower nights and days. That and the block heater warm things up pretty good.

Remote start is a must have here.🥶

Back