25 cent oil filter find. US made Purolator from 1997

Status
Not open for further replies.
Attached picture is not the filter itself but a stock photo of what I found in a Goodwill shopping for garage clothes. Would it still be usable after sitting on a store shelf for maybe years? The box says 1997 and there are no obvious signs of damage inside or out. It just happens to fit one of my cars so I'm curious

filt.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Reddy45
I would not trust the media or gaskets to still be pliable enough.

I have some Baldwin filters from the 90's and the rubber is still fine. But they are sealed in plastic from the factory so maybe that helps?

Poppycock.

It will be just fine, I regularly use filters from a 20 year old stash.

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
I wouldn't use a filter that is older than me.

Pfft, my dad has underwear older than you!

…..The box says 1997 and there are no obvious signs of damage inside or out. It just happens to fit one of my cars so I'm curious
If the date code still visible on the dome, the exact date of manufacture can be determined. Box says 97, that's when box printing format was made. So it's likely the filter is newer than that. If you post the date code, you can know true manufacture date.

The PP was superseded by the Classic somewhere around 2007-2008 iirc, so it could be much newer. Still relatively old though.

Whether it's still good to use would likely depend on the kind of storage it's seen. No visible rust on the exterior and what can be seen of the interior would be a good sign. Then, just depends on how badly you want to run filter given the knowns and unknowns.

Whether you run it or not, consider posting pics of it cut open.

Originally Posted by Linctex

Poppycock.

It will be just fine, I regularly use filters from a 20 year old stash.

^this, I'll be fine for a 3-5K ocis as intended. Does it have louvers or holes in the center tube?

I would put it on the shelf to remind myself when Purolator was a respectable company making good products.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back