245-60-18 severe winter rated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by UG_Passat
get a AT tire in your size with the severe service doesn't seem to exist.

Maybe get some snow chains (or autosocks) and install them on the front wheels.

I've seen 2 ford explorers with chains on the rear wheels this year at Mammoth, the same FWD-based Explorer.

3 things

I definitely have 4 wheel drive

Auto socks may be a alternative

And finally I have found at least 4 severe all season and or AT options. Carid.com has their list of tires with icons that show severe service, energy conserving, studdable ect.
Problem is that some are kinda expensive.

Originally Posted by pdxglocker9mm

I've seen 2 ford explorers with chains on the rear wheels this year at Mammoth, the same FWD-based Explorer.

3 things

And finally I have found at least 4 severe all season and or AT options. Carid.com has their list of tires with icons that show severe service, energy conserving, studdable ect.

When I put the DuraTracs on my Colorado, and the WeatherReadys on my son's 2WD Escape, they were expensive. But when the snow hit, I was glad I shelled out the dough.

Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by Astro14
I've been very happy with the Nokian WR G3 SUV on my Tundra. They're quiet, have good grip in the dry. They've been on the truck year round, and seem to be wearing well.

And have outstanding snow traction. I know I live in Virginia Beach, but I get up to Vermont often, and have taken the truck through several serious (8+ inches) snow events with these tires.

They're great.

Edit: in searching, I can't find them in your size. Sorry...

I had the same tire and they are trash. Loud as [censored] (think semi-tanker), poor traction in the rain, poor hydroplaning resistance, and wore out after less than 20K miles (32, snowflake gone). My previous tires were much better (CrossContact LX20's), and lasted over 50K miles. I'd pass on that experience ever again. The RT43's I put on were better than the WRG3 SUV's in every way. Of course, I never drove the WRG3's in snow, because they literally wore out between snow seasons. My LX20's were rock steady in white-out conditions, and went up my driveway (17 degree angle) in snow with less than 2/32 tread left though, so...

oh, to top it off, I left a negative review on Nokian's site and they never posted it/deleted it. I did not curse, nor mention by name any competitor tires. Shady trash. Miss me with that junk.

I can't explain how your experience has been so different than mine.

I did put the Altimax RT-43 on my wife's XC. They wore out quickly, although they seemed to have good traction. To be fair, that car has worn out every set of tires I've ever put on it quickly. General. Nokian. Michelin. Continental. It's just a tire-killing machine.

I just took a road trip with my Tundra (with the Nokian WR G3 SUV) a few weeks ago. I drove up to New Jersey (Newark) In heavy rain, and then some snow.

Those tires were perfectly quiet, the truck cruises easily.

No hydroplaning at all. Excellent snow traction. With an unladen pick up truck bed, I don't have to use 4 Wheel drive. It's just fine in 2 wheel drive, even getting over the big berms left in parking lots by snow plows.

When I wear this set out, I plan to get another set.

Originally Posted by pdxglocker9mm

3 things

1. The people whom I saw Explorers with chains on the rear wheels are AWD, the AWD system is a FWD until slippage occurs or predicted. They didn't believe when I said chains go up front, allowing the stock Hankook Noble S1's to constantly slip in the snow (it's not a decent all-season for the winter season to begin with)

2. carid isn't the most accurate... when you put in severe service + AT, you only get one option, which they are out of stock on, Mastercraft Courser MSR. It's a winter tire, but not considered to be an all-season with severe service, as there is no UTQG wear rating on them. Just because CARID says it's a match, it doesn't mean it's always accurate, why you have to verify the info yourself independently.

Last edited:
On carid i didnt tell it anything other than raw size.
I had to scroll thru a ton of tires but it did give me ideas for possible models to research.

My 2018 xlt explorer came stock with michelins not hankooks
When we were looking at new explorers I do recall lots of them having hankook tires.
As far as the awd/4wd system
Yes i agree the primary drive is the front with what amounts to a nudge from the rear when traction gets loose. Plus your steering and primary braking is on the front so one would think that would be where you want the chains.
My ultimate goal though is to NOT need chains/socks its difficult to get the wife to install chains/socks
So for her passive systems/planning that are implemented by me are MY best bet.

Originally Posted by Ws6
I've been very happy with the Nokian WR G3 SUV on my Tundra. They're quiet, have good grip in the dry. They've been on the truck year round, and seem to be wearing well.

And have outstanding snow traction. I know I live in Virginia Beach, but I get up to Vermont often, and have taken the truck through several serious (8+ inches) snow events with these tires.

They're great.

Edit: in searching, I can't find them in your size. Sorry...

I had the same tire and they are trash. Loud as [censored] (think semi-tanker), poor traction in the rain, poor hydroplaning resistance, and wore out after less than 20K miles (32, snowflake gone). My previous tires were much better (CrossContact LX20's), and lasted over 50K miles. I'd pass on that experience ever again. The RT43's I put on were better than the WRG3 SUV's in every way. Of course, I never drove the WRG3's in snow, because they literally wore out between snow seasons. My LX20's were rock steady in white-out conditions, and went up my driveway (17 degree angle) in snow with less than 2/32 tread left though, so...

oh, to top it off, I left a negative review on Nokian's site and they never posted it/deleted it. I did not curse, nor mention by name any competitor tires. Shady trash. Miss me with that junk.

I can't explain how your experience has been so different than mine.

I did put the Altimax RT-43 on my wife's XC. They wore out quickly, although they seemed to have good traction. To be fair, that car has worn out every set of tires I've ever put on it quickly. General. Nokian. Michelin. Continental. It's just a tire-killing machine.

I just took a road trip with my Tundra (with the Nokian WR G3 SUV) a few weeks ago. I drove up to New Jersey (Newark) In heavy rain, and then some snow.

Those tires were perfectly quiet, the truck cruises easily.

No hydroplaning at all. Excellent snow traction. With an unladen pick up truck bed, I don't have to use 4 Wheel drive. It's just fine in 2 wheel drive, even getting over the big berms left in parking lots by snow plows.

When I wear this set out, I plan to get another set.

Maybe they work better or are made differently in different sizes, but they were the absolute worst tire I've ever owned on an SUV in literally every regard except ice traction, in which case they were slightly better than Destination LE2's, but really I just hit a small patch of compressed snow on the road that hung around late in the season. About like any other all-season tire (slightly better than LE2) that I've owned, as I stomped the brakes to see this magic Nokian in action. Blech.

Did NOT offset wearing out in
My RT43's, I got rid of as I traded the vehicle in, but at 10-15K miles, wear was 1-2/32 or so, while at the first oil change (7500mi), my Nokians were already down to the 7-8/32 range (they started at 12/32, I believe). By 19K miles, the snowflake was gone, and so were those pieces of [censored].

In fact, t he Toyo A36's that have a 300 treadwear rating and that everyone complains about have beaten those Nokians in literally every performance matrix except snow (and they did just [censored] fine...) that I could compare them in. That's pathetic.

Last edited:
I believe you.

I'm just left scratching my head at the difference in experience.

I will add that I hated the Bridgestone Dueler Alenza that came as OE on the Tundra. Perfectly good in the rain or the dry.

But abysmal snow/slush traction. I bought the truck in Colorado, and had it out there for a year. Plenty of opportunity to sample the horrible winter performance of the Bridgestone.

I gave them away with 9,000 miles on them, they still had 10/32".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back