24 Hour of Leman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Corvette Racing has said they use an off the shelf Mobil 1 Racing 0W50. Other manufacturers I have no idea but I would think a combination of off the shelf racing oils and oils made from unobtainium.

most top end racing cars would not use a multigrade because their usage doesn't need to. it is only hot. The oils and whole engine system are preheated.

The oils go through much higher load and stress than what a consumer cars requirement, but also doesn't need to meet a wide range of conditions or longevity requirements.

as far as manufacturer/brand a lot of that has to do with sponsorship rather than preferring one over another. Any of the top lube companies can produce and provide the oil that meets the specifications for the engine and team. Yes it is much more specialized but I would not call it unobtainiam.

Last edited:
I assumed this was about the 2008 financial collapse, and the Lehman Brothers record-breaking bust, because I forgot how to spell Lehman.

But I guess you forgot how to spell Le Mans

It may depend on class. In some series, GT cars are required to use an off the shelf oil, and that applies at the Ring and probably Spa for their 24 hour events. As for Le Mans, I guess the only way to know would be to delve into the rule book.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
I thought you were talking about the 24 Hours of Lemons......

I was hoping it he meant Lemons lol

Originally Posted By: billt460
I wonder how "tired" those engines are after that race is finished?

GT3 engines. Mezger since the 964 and now an updated version of the same engine - can go 50-100 hours before needing a rebuild.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
I wonder how "tired" those engines are after that race is finished?

GT3 engines. Mezger since the 964 and now an updated version of the same engine - can go 50-100 hours before needing a rebuild.

That’s impressive to say the least.

Originally Posted By: ARB1977
That’s impressive to say the least.

It's not too expensive either. I've seen it reported as ~$6k for liners, rings, rods, and mains.

The street versions basically last forever if primarily street-driven. There's at least one Turbo owner with over 450,000 miles.

Congrats to Toyota and Alonso for finishing first at Leman.
Toyota should have won last year if not for some last minute bad luck.

Is this Toyota win devalued because there was no Audi or Porsche Factory teams running?

So who won?... Alonso as predicted?

https://www.motorsport.com/wec/results/

Originally Posted By: Reggaemon
Is this Toyota win devalued because there was no Audi or Porsche Factory teams running?

A win is a win, right, especially at Le Mans... I was waiting for the Toyotas to break down.

It would be nice to have Porsche back though... They could have won every class this year.
wink.gif

I do miss the days of 10 years ago or so, when Audi, Peugeot, and Bentley were all in LMP1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back