235/45-18 Mastercraft LSR Grand Touring

2010 Accord. Installed at 150k miles. Just placed at 192k miles. Tires only lasted 42k miles

However all inside edges were extensively worn on all 4 tires. Tires were cupped and chopping and really loud. I wasn't super impressed with these tires. I think I paid $650 installed for all 4.

Last night I installed 4 Michelin Premier AS. $950 installed. I'm going to my local alignment master this morning and having an alignment. I'm anxious to see what they find as it sits.

Since the car is at 190k miles, are there wear items I need to be looking at that could cause nasty tire wear?

Uneven wear is usually a suspension issue, alignment and/or worn ball joints in the front and toe end links for the rear.

Feels unfair to say the tires only lasted 42k if the wear was so uneven. Inspecting them during their life would have discovered the issue.

All inside worn sounds like alignment is off or bad for your driving.
42K only? That is a lot of miles for me.

Krzyś

I had a similar issue with a 4 cyl Accord with Firestone and Kelly tires. As mentioned it wasn’t the tires but an alignment issue in the rear. The Honda dealer did an adjustment and no further problems. I think there was a tsb about it.

I had a similar issue with a 4 cyl Accord with Firestone and Kelly tires. As mentioned it wasn’t the tires but an alignment issue in the rear. The Honda dealer did an adjustment and no further problems. I think there was a tsb about it.

I just had an alignment done. Nothing was really off.....a few MINOR adjustments were made.

They claimed the Camber isn't adjustable on this Honda (I assume they weren't lying to me, IDK), but they were within spec anyhow.

This is the first alignment ever done on this 10 year old Honda approaching 200k miles. I asked them why they thought the tires were all worn the same on the inside, and he said it was a common issue on Mastercraft/Cooper tires....that they are all very prone to chopping.

Here is an issue where someone is bashing and/or reviewing tires where the condition of the suspension is very much in question. It is very possible that the struts or shocks are nearing replacement or already past their life.

How many miles between rotation. If not rotated correctly or enough tires are prone to cupping. Inside wear is toe. Seen cheaper tires cup also.

An alignment might not tell the whole story. Sure while the car is on the rack sitting still it appears good, but while driving it might be towed out from worn parts for example.

Putting four New Michelin shoes on a 10 year old car with almost 200K miles is not something I'd do. But I would keep up with rotations every 5-6K miles. I had Ironman tires (made by Cooper) on a 2013 Accord LX that did fine for the two years I owned the car. Your alignment guy claiming Coopers and Mastercraft tires are prone to cupping is baloney, unless they're never properly rotated.

Back