2200 Miles/3.5 Months on Oil... should I change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 2200 Miles/3.5 Months on Chevron Supreme 10W30 in my 4.0L Jeep. I drive it kind of hard because Houston drivers are just awful. It makes 10 mile runs every morning and back 3 hours later. Then i just drive it around town for daily trips. Should I change? I have 7 quarts of Havoline Synthetic 10W30 (Biglots, 1.99) and a FL1A filter waiting if I should.

10 mile runs aren't hard on an oil, especially in a warmer climate because the oil gets to burn off any fuel or water in the oil.

I would say leave it in until 3k or 5k miles or 1 year use.

quote:

Originally posted by JeepZJ4.0:
I have 2200 Miles/3.5 Months on Chevron Supreme 10W30 in my 4.0L Jeep. I drive it kind of hard because Houston drivers are just awful. It makes 10 mile runs every morning and back 3 hours later. Then i just drive it around town for daily trips. Should I change? I have 7 quarts of Havoline Synthetic 10W30 (Biglots, 1.99) and a FL1A filter waiting if I should.

Some cars like to be driven hard. Legend has it that in Rome, customers come in complaining that their Alfa Romeo sports cars are running a little rough are told to "leave it in the parking bay, with the keys in, and come back tomorrow." When the customer is gone, the mechanic clims in, takes it out, and drives the living blazes out of the thing. WFO throttle. Customer comes back next day, and is full of praises for the "wonderful job." Actually, no work was done on the car. That make just likes to be thrashed.
tongue.gif

Re: your Houston jeep. You can leave the oil in for another 2,000 miles. Everything will be all right.

quote:

Originally posted by JeepZJ4.0:

Re: Houston drivers.....just awful. D'ya really think so? Just wat till you try Boston, Massachusetts. Or anyplace in Connecticut. Or New Jersey. Or Los Angeles, CA. Notice that I never pan NY City drivers. That is because NY City drivers, they prefer to walk or take the train 95 percent of the time. The ones that run people over in NY City are those people driving in from NJ and Connecticut, and the Pakistani and Roumanian taxicab drivers.

I never find that Houston drivers are awful. Sure, some like to drive fast and tailgate, but the roads are long and wide....plenty of space. There's room for all styles of driving, be it fast and loose or slow and safe. Just pull over to the right lane and let them overtake and carry on their merry way.

West Houston drivers are bad (Soccer moms.. and they yell at you when we go 1mph over the limit while they zoom at 45 in a 30)..... mainly people in Katy. I live on the outskirts of Katy and go into downtown Katy (not much there but it exists). KISD's career school is there. Lots of semis! I was getting on the freeway and in the SLOW lane, is a semi going 75. It was too late for me to brake so i had to floor it. The limit over there is 55 due to the construction. I'll leave it in til 3K. Thanks guys. I should do a UOA but I'm on a budget and the UOAs show i should just change every 3K to be safe. The 4.0L is beast to being with....

Taking your driving habits into account, changing oil more often than 4K or 5K miles would be a waste (unless UOA tells you otherwise, which is always the case regardless of time/mileage).

FlimFlam: Your comments are funny, and actually apply to any European sporting engine. I was a director with the local Alfa Romeo club and raced with them for 15 years here in California. The competition director here bought an Alfa Milano in Alabama for his girlfriend -- he had to look that far for a clean example with an auto tranny. The car was in great shape but was sluggish -- it's owner was a middle-aged woman who drove like a turtle. My buddy intentionally drove the car like an idiot all the way from Alabama to California, supposedly averaging 90+ mph. He must have blasted a ton of carbon out of the cylinders, because it ran like a champ once he got it home. These engines are designed to be revved. My sister also drives her Saab Turbo like a turtle -- I keep telling her to "Get on freeway on-ramps, put the gas pedal to the floor and keep it there -- trust me, it's a GOOD thing for that engine!"

I would run the oil more miles.....3-3.5k...no problem in Houston.....it's always hot down there.

Pablo,
Try driving around that famous arch in Paris....the arch is in the middle of a round-about...nerve-wrecking...chaotic....plain crazy. The Saudis are another specie who hasn't the slightest idea about traffic laws....a stop sign for them means "Hit the gas"
Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back