22 VW Atlas Oil Selection(and Confusion)

A few weeks ago, my wife bought a new(stale inventory) 2022 Atlas. This one is the V6 model.

It's a little ways off from an oil change, but it's needed an oil top-up(I did about 8oz of standard Mobil1 5W-30 since I didn't have anything else close).

The manual tells me I need a VW 504 spec oil. Mobil1 claims on their website that ESP 0W-30 meets that spec, but the bottle doesn't say so. I went hunting at a few different places and seem to find 503 and 507 on a handful of different oils, including Mobil1 0W-40(which I've heard people rave about for years) but no 504. I checked every synthetic 5W-30 and 0W-30 on the shelf at Wal-Mart, OReilly's, and Amazon.

I do have a quart of ESP 0W-30 now, although the lack of an approval marking on the bottle itself concerns me. Obviously I'm not super concerned for a top-up oil(unless I start needing a bunch, which would be a different story) but want to make sure I'm using the right stuff when it comes time to change.

As long as the oil you pick claims the 504, either on bottle or website, I wouldn't bother worrying about. Labels get updated/changed constantly and spec's are added as the formula passes, gets approved, recommended, or is tested for it.

I wouldn't have used the lower HTHS Mobil1 5w30 API stuff... but your engine isn't going care about 8 ounces. Full level is better than empty. My Jetta can use a pint of just about ANY oil for topping off. So, a pint of API oil is just fine, especially since you at least picked a good full synthetic hopefully SP/GF6.

I prefer HTHS and/or additives. So, any of the 3.5+ HTHS euro/hdeo synthetic oils world be my 1st choice for topping off if the 504/507 isn't available. I am not too grade picky but VW will state both a grade and VW spec, and sometimes substitutes too. Guessing you require a "0w-30" 504. Little surprised that VW didn't switch that engine over to 508 yet, for more engine racket and even more oil consumption :ROFLMAO: .
In an emergency, I'd use any higher hths synthietc 0w30/5w30/10w30 or any 0w40/5w40. I've got a quart of Amsoil 10w40 mixed into a sump of 508 0w20. It just sounds better with a little more visc. Be glad that you get to use a 3.5+ HTHS 30 grade.

I also don't care for the 10k interval that VW recommends. After an initial filter change, I change every 5k miles. I've heard of many complaining about oil consumption with their 10k interval and 508 oil. I guess that you at least know how to use a dipstick, how to use the 710 cap, and do check top off often enough, which makes you better than 98% of the other consumers out there.

And, don't be surprised if the owner's manual or underhood sticker don't match, or changes with the MPG push, or confuses the dealer, confuses VW, or gets a underhood sticker update during a dealer service, or confuses vwvortex forum members.

Thanks guys, I'll rest easy with the ESP 0W-30.

As for the 5W-30 top-up, the manual does say up to a half quart of any synthetic 5W-30 or 0W-30 is okay. I was suprised to see it below the full hash marks at a little below 1000 miles, but I know elevated consumption is normal for the first little bit. Hopefully this doesn't stay that way. 8oz. was just enough to get it within the hash marks.

She bought this with a bit over 400 miles on it. The dealer had used it as a test driver, and in the last couple days of 2022 they were ready to get it off their lot and actually sold it a few thousand under their online price without any arm twisting(other than maybe giving a bit more on the trade-in than they wanted to).

I should do a 1K change on it. We've had some craziness the past week. My wife was 37 weeks pregnant the day I added the top up oil. She went to the doctor and the doctor sent us to the hospital from there. I haven't had time to think about much since then, but my wife also isn't going to be commuting to work for the next few months so mileage is going to be below her normal.

Thanks guys, I'll rest easy with the ESP 0W-30.

As for the 5W-30 top-up, the manual does say up to a half quart of any synthetic 5W-30 or 0W-30 is okay. I was suprised to see it below the full hash marks at a little below 1000 miles, but I know elevated consumption is normal for the first little bit. Hopefully this doesn't stay that way. 8oz. was just enough to get it within the hash marks.

She bought this with a bit over 400 miles on it. The dealer had used it as a test driver, and in the last couple days of 2022 they were ready to get it off their lot and actually sold it a few thousand under their online price without any arm twisting(other than maybe giving a bit more on the trade-in than they wanted to).

I should do a 1K change on it. We've had some craziness the past week. My wife was 37 weeks pregnant the day I added the top up oil. She went to the doctor and the doctor sent us to the hospital from there. I haven't had time to think about much since then, but my wife also isn't going to be commuting to work for the next few months so mileage is going to be below her normal.
Once your warranty is done, move to VW502.00 oils as that engine is known fuel diluter. DO NOT under any circumstances do OCI longer than 5k.

The dipstick on my Tiguan has never been on the full line. I fill with the specified amount (6Qt.) and it always shows between full and add. VW states in the owner’s manual that is perfectly fine in that range.

The dipstick on my Tiguan has never been on the full line. I fill with the specified amount (6Qt.) and it always shows between full and add. VW states in the owner’s manual that is perfectly fine in that range.
It is fine in that range, but it could be also that your floor is not perfectly flat. If it is garage, it will have grade to drain water, and that does affect dipstick.

legende_A.png
Engine oil level too high. Do not start the engine
legende_B.png
Do not refill oil
legende_C.png
You may add oil, as long as the oil level does not go above the Ⓑ range.
legende_D.png
Engine oil level too low. You must add oil (about 1 quart / 1.0 liter). After adding oil, make sure that the oil level is about in the middle of the Ⓒ range.

BTT-1329.png

All of mine are always at the 100% full where B and C meet! I don't do good enoughs or close enoughs. We call that the optimum level, especially since my VW has a 600 mile range and a lot can go wrong or disappear in 600 miles. I sometimes am in the 'B' and simply don't worry about it. Only A needs some draining. And, of course, the owners manual will teach you when and how to use the dipstick since the above pictures are from my 2019.

And, at least one of my automakers understands "optimum"...

dipstick.jpg

It is fine in that range, but it could be also that your floor is not perfectly flat. If it is garage, it will have grade to drain water, and that does affect dipstick.
The garbage floor is level. The dipstick has always read midway of the safe range and it doesn’t burn oil. If it’s okay with VW, it’s okay with me.

Thanks everyone! I'll go forward with ESP and call it a day. I THINK Wal-Mart has it for around $30/5 qt, which isn't terrible in my book.

For future reference, though, especially since you never know what availability will be like these days, what other VW 504 oils are there out there? I'm mostly interested in mainstream products, not the boutique ones. Mobil1 is my go-to oil for most situations, but I figure it never hurts to have backups.

Thanks everyone! I'll go forward with ESP and call it a day. I THINK Wal-Mart has it for around $30/5 qt, which isn't terrible in my book.

For future reference, though, especially since you never know what availability will be like these days, what other VW 504 oils are there out there? I'm mostly interested in mainstream products, not the boutique ones. Mobil1 is my go-to oil for most situations, but I figure it never hurts to have backups.
Pennzoil Platinum Euro LX 0W30 $48 for 6qt on Amazon.
Valve European Vehicle 5W30 XLIII $117 for 3X5qt also Amazon.

Best IMO, Mobil1 ESP 5W30, but $158 for 12qt. Unless you can find somewhere locally.

Ive never seen ESP in Walmart. EP yes, AFE yes but not ESP.

Napa used to carry it...
The least expensive place for me to get it is at AutoZone. Usually connected with a filter deal. But honestly I’ve given up on it. I now purchase the Pennzoil product with LL-04.

Vw/Audi dealer always has it in quarts, with their markup.

The PDF list was posted in post #4 even though it is from a couple years ago. In the US, you don't get unlimited options. But, most stores can order it if its in their catalog. So, visit the websites at Oreilly, BumpertoBumper, Carquest/advanceauto, pepboys, autozone, and order for store or home delivery ... Pretty sure Valvoline, Mobil, Pennzoil, Castrol.. have options and I don't see any as better/worse than others. I also am not 'spec' or 'grade' police, as I don't follow VW 'recommendations' to the tee.
VW and their oil requirements sometimes make no sense.

And, all those fancy import parts websites sell the cool euro brands like Ravenol, Motul, LiquiMoly, Pentosin, Fuchs, Total, and even DIY service kits with drain plugs, washer, filters, and oil. Redline/Amsoil have euro oils too. There are also the bulk/contract blenders that might have sell their euro equivalent, like Amalie, Cam2, or Warren..

For top offs, I just don't tell anyone what I'm using. If I had oil consumption, I'd just use the Euro or HDEO 5w40 or 0w40 on Walmarts shelf sinces its readily available, especially if one uses dealer service, which means unless you watch, you don't even know what bulk oil they're using and they probably don't know either. And, if dealerquicklube filled oil consumption was 'excessive', that is when the 15w50's and 10w60's get used for top offs :ROFLMAO:

At my recent VW recall last week, the VW tech noticed that my door had a quart of VW spec oil in it. It was the Valvoline Euro oil. He looks at the bottle's front/back and he put it right back in the door. I won't give them an excuse to think a non VW oil is used. So, I leave it there as informational bait.

At my recent VW recall last week, the VW tech noticed that my door had a quart of VW spec oil in it. It was the Valvoline Euro oil. He looks at the bottle's front/back and he put it right back in the door. I won't give them an excuse to think a non VW oil is used. So, I leave it there as informational bait.
At the dealership where I got the initial free oil changes done I requested they use 504 00 oil instead of 508 00. They said “sure”. At least this dealership is not as ignorant as some appear to be. Or at least not as ignorant as some on here portray them to be.

504 xW30.
Once your warranty is done, move to VW502.00 oils as that engine is known fuel diluter. DO NOT under any circumstances do OCI longer than 5k.
This. I've done a number of UOAs on my 2018 w/VR6 and it always has quite a bit of fuel from short tripping. Keep in mind these engines have been around a long time with no changes and now call for 504 when my '18 says 502 OR 504 on the underhood label (with no viscosity mention as it should). Just changed my oil today.

20230116_093723.jpg

Back