'22 Subaru Crosstrek: High Titanium

Ok OP - I see the UOA (sorry...forgot to look) regarding fuel dilution - they say it's minor...so I'm not seeing the issue. I bet mine is double that.

Valvoline EP or Mobil 1 EP is what I've been using.

Coming from the guy who recommends driving 40-70 miles a week just for the heck of it. Yeah darn right it's my money AND my TIME. :p

I have no need for your bloody trolling.

⬛⬛

I'm actually switching to Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0W-20. So not quite as expensive with that. I got a bunch on sale with a rebate on top. 😎👍

Warning: Our Subarus drank PP like free beer at a N.J. Polish wedding reception.

Maybe the PUP is better-er. You'll soon find out.

They really like the Subaru Idemitsu over any common store brand. I rec you use use that as a "premium" choice.

Last edited:
Warning: Our Subarus drank PP like free beer at a N.J. Polish wedding reception.

They really like the Subaru Idemitsu over any common store brand. I rec you use use that as a "premium" choice.
I'd agree... I don't know for sure, but I've wondered if this isn't a downside of the boxer design... with the heads on their sides and a literal direct path from the topside of the oil pan straight into the PCV circuit, I wonder if it's related to windage/vapors. In city driving and even rural 2-lane driving, I never really saw oil consumption on any of my Subies. However, toss in hours of Interstate speeds (3k+ rpm) and magically some consumption appears, only to disappear on the next OCI where you didn't take that road trip...

However, the FB25 in my fleet doesn't use any oil regardless of usage modes.

Does anyone know if the Idemitsu 0w20 is actually the same oil as genuine Subaru? I assume it is not.

FWIW, a friend’s Subaru drank M1 AFE like a sari-man at the local pachinko parlor if offered cheap Asahi/Kirin or sake. Oil consumption was OK on PP, but best results was on Idemitsu gold bottle 0W-20.

I’m gonna toy with 5W-30 Havoline Pro-DS this weekend on it.

Does anyone know if the Idemitsu 0w20 is actually the same oil as genuine Subaru? I assume it is not.
I don't believe anyone has done VoA's on them. Possibly some of the older versions, but not on the recent version.

My guess is people don't want to pay the additional cost for the Subaru branded version when the standard Idemitsu is so much cheaper. Unless you're really loaded like @ARCOgraphite. :p

In regards to Pennzoil, my EJ consumed every oil after hitting 60k miles so it's difficult to pinpoint consumption issues with a particular brand. The FA24DIT hasn't had consumption on any brand (auto-lube replenishment with fuel dilution:D). Although on my daughter's 2015 Legacy with ~110k miles, it consumed over 1 quart in 6k on the first OCI of PP HM 0W-20. Previously it never consumed more than 3/4 quart in 6k miles on any brand.

On the next OCI of PP HM consumption cut back to the typical 3/4 quart or so.

Last edited:
I'd agree... I don't know for sure, but I've wondered if this isn't a downside of the boxer design... with the heads on their sides and a literal direct path from the topside of the oil pan straight into the PCV circuit, I wonder if it's related to windage/vapors. In city driving and even rural 2-lane driving, I never really saw oil consumption on any of my Subies. However, toss in hours of Interstate speeds (3k+ rpm) and magically some consumption appears, only to disappear on the next OCI where you didn't take that road trip...

However, the FB25 in my fleet doesn't use any oil regardless of usage modes.
I must agree my 6mt 2018 FB25 has been very finicky on PCV valves and consumption. It only appears to start consuming during an entire day of highway driving, and when the pcv valve has been cleaned (first instance with brake clean, second instance with HPL) even if the valve is newer. And then once it starts consuming from cleaning it continues every highway trip until I replace the pcv valve, at which point the level doesn't budge regardless of how it is driven best I can tell.

Back