'22 Subaru Crosstrek: High Titanium

I'm also following a 3K/3 month OCI schedule, whichever comes first. I believe it's what Subaru of Japan recommends along with 30K CVT fluid changes. American's, on average, don't like to have to maintain things, so manufactures market vehicles as such here. Hence Subaru of America's "lifetime" CVT fluid. 🤣 Oil is cheap insurance, period. It's not solely about fuel dilution, it's also about LSPI & IVD issues and the roll "used" oil may play in them. For the $36 it costs me every 3 months to give my engine fresh blood, it's worth it to me. IMO, UOA's paint a partial picture of what's going on, ignoring it's role in LSPI and IVD. Am I wrong in thinking this way, maybe, but NOTHING negative will ever come from changing fluids too often, besides spending a little bit more $$$. All of us probably change our underwear way more often than we really need to too. Do we really need to change it everyday?? If you have your underwear analyzed you'd probably be able to get away with 3-4 days UCI's of your underwear as well. Same with daily showering, it's not necessary, but we do it anyway. :p

I'm also following a 3K/3 month OCI schedule, whichever comes first. I believe it's what Subaru of Japan recommends along with 30K CVT fluid changes. American's, on average, don't like to have to maintain things, so manufactures market vehicles as such here. Hence Subaru of America's "lifetime" CVT fluid. 🤣 Oil is cheap insurance, period. It's not solely about fuel dilution, it's also about LSPI & IVD issues and the roll "used" oil may play in them. For the $36 it costs me every 3 months to give my engine fresh blood, it's worth it to me. IMO, UOA's paint a partial picture of what's going on, ignoring it's role in LSPI and IVD. Am I wrong in thinking this way, maybe, but NOTHING negative will ever come from changing fluids too often, besides spending a little bit more $$$. All of us probably change our underwear way more often than we really need to too. Do we really need to change it everyday?? If you have your underwear analyzed you'd probably be able to get away with 3-4 days UCI's of your underwear as well. Same with daily showering, it's not necessary, but we do it anyway. :p

Therapy starts in the New year January 14th at 10am in the old K of C Hall. I'll bring the bagels you bring the donuts; and No Krsipy Kreme or DD garbage.

Yeah I agree 100%, but there's a ton of people on here who think that's hogwash.😂 To each his own I say. Oil is cheap in the grand scheme of things and like you say, absolutely zero harm will be done changing it early! 👍 I can think of way worse ways that people "waste money". Changing oil too early is pretty low down there on the list of those things.😎

Last edited:
Fuel dilution concerns, though many on here say that is unwarranted.
5K is more than ok in your Subaru - easiest way to put your mind at east is do a few UOAs...take one a few times in the 5K mile OCI...one at 3, one at 4, one at 5 and see how the fuel dilution/visocisty drop is going.

Yeah I agree 100%, but there's a ton of people on here who think that's hogwash.😂 To each his own I say. Oil is cheap in the grand scheme of things and like you say, absolutely zero harm will be done changing it early like you say! 👍 I can think of way worse ways that people "waste money". Changing oil too early is pretty low down there on the list of those things.😎
So by that logic, why not every week? 1K? 2K?

The cure for fuel dilution is to get that car out and drive it. Take it on the highway for 30-60 minutes.
Full send keeps your DI engine's intake valves cleaner too ;)

The cure for fuel dilution is to get that car out and drive it. Take it on the highway for 30-60 minutes.

That would require me to get another job or move further away from my current one. I have a 20 minute commute to work via county highways.

It's easier and cheaper to just change the oil more often.

That would require me to get another job or move further away from my current one. I have a 20 minute commute to work via county highways.

It's easier and cheaper to just change the oil more often.

You don’t have to donut everyday. Once a week a fine.

You don’t have to donut everyday. Once a week a fine.

I get what you are saying, however.

60 minutes on interstate at 70mph = 70 miles.

70 miles @ 30 mpg = 2.3 gallons = $7

$7 every week = $364/year = $30 a month.

It costs me $36 and 15 minutes to change my oil vs $30 in fuel + 4.3 hours wasted + 240 pointless miles every month.

I'd rather change the oil every month for $36 than to spend $30 in fuel, 4.3 hours and 240 pointless miles every month to simply burn off fuel in the oil.

🤣

The 3K OCI is not a bad thing with most Subaru and VW engines, some have a tendency to run a bit richer than necessary in open loop in colder weather.

5K is more than ok in your Subaru - easiest way to put your mind at east is do a few UOAs...take one a few times in the 5K mile OCI...one at 3, one at 4, one at 5 and see how the fuel dilution/visocisty drop is goin
So by that logic, why not every week? 1K? 2K?
My wife drives it on the freeway for at least 30-60 min, sometimes longer, 4 times a week and I'm still seeing fuel dilution at 3000mi. My DI 2014 Mazda 3 was never this bad with fuel dilution. Also used 0W-20 oil. Must be a Subaru boxer thing?🤷‍♂️

I get what you are saying, however.

60 minutes on interstate at 70mph = 70 miles.

70 miles @ 30 mpg = 2.3 gallons = $7

$7 every week = $364/year = $30 a month.

It costs me $36 and 15 minutes to change my oil vs $30 in fuel + 4.3 hours wasted + 240 pointless miles every month.

I'd rather change the oil every month for $36 than to spend $30 in fuel, 4.3 hours and 240 pointless miles every month to simply burn off fuel in the oil.

🤣
Tough to argue that logic, but I'm sure someone on here will. 😂

My wife drives it on the freeway for at least 30-60 min, sometimes longer, 4 times a week and I'm still seeing fuel dilution at 3000mi. My DI 2014 Mazda 3 was never this bad with fuel dilution. Also used 0W-20 oil. Must be a Subaru boxer thing?🤷‍♂️
Fuel in your oil is completely normal - what levels are you seeing that is causing the concern?

I have a lot of UOAs on four different Ford engines that ran on Kendall GT-1 with Ti additive. The wear metals on all of them were rock bottom. If Kendall hadn't changed the additive package to deal with LSPI I would happily use it today. You should be just fine.

Logic would dictate that you run a less expensive oil. Changing out Schaeffers gets expensive.

But hey, it’s your $$
I'm actually switching to Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0W-20. So not quite as expensive with that. I got a bunch on sale with a rebate on top. 😎👍

Back