'22 Subaru Crosstrek: High Titanium

I posted my UOA in the UOA section, but I wanted input on a disturbing trend I'm seeing in my oil with titanium levels increasing. I dumped the factory fill Idemitsu 0W-20 at 1000 miles and had the oil sampled. Zero ppm of titanium at that point. At that time I switched to Schaeffer 0W-20 oil. At 3000 miles I changed the oil and the sample came back with 23ppm titanium and all other wear metals decreasing nicely for a new engine. I did another oil change 2800 miles later and the analysis came back with 29ppm titanium and even lower other wear metals except titanium. Schaeffer claims titanium is NOT in their ad pack for their 0W-20. 😳 It seems strange that the titanium spiked as soon as I started using the Schaeffer but I guess I need to trust their word. What's going on here and should I be concerned at this point?

Attachments

• B853FE5C-5775-41F4-8B01-2FF375D31D2A.jpeg
    B853FE5C-5775-41F4-8B01-2FF375D31D2A.jpeg
    184.8 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
IMO, a 23ppm reading and a 29ppm reading are too close for it not to be part of the adpack.
We shall see on the next sample. If it continues trending upward, something else is going on. Valves, valve seats, rods? I did some research online. Not much out there on titanium in oil other than as an additive. I would think that other wear metals would also elevate with it though? I guess time will tell. Just seems very odd to me.

does the crosstrek engine even use titanium parts?
Excellent question! I'm not sure. Maybe valves or valve seats? Like I said, I've done some research online with little success. I know Corvette engines use titanium parts but this slug is far from a Corvette.😂

That is likely oil DP - no matter what Shaeffer says.

You are also changing your oil too much. Just did Crosstrek at 5300. First sump. Was fretting that length,I would prefer 2500-3000mi, but the Wife wanted to "go the distance" and the OE filter was the excellent Tokyo Roki - not the ho hum blue fram can.

I say no worries and go 5K at least! Our family owned nine Subaru over the past 35 Years from Justy to the SVX Grand Tourer

That is likely oil DP - no matter what Shaeffer says.

You are also changing your oil too much. Just did Crosstrek at 5300. First sump. Was fretting that length,I would prefer 2500-3000mi, but the Wife wanted to "go the distance" and the OE filter was the excellent Tokyo Roki - not the ho hum blue fram can.

I say no worries and go 5K at least! Our family owned nine Subaru over the past 35 Years from Justy to the SVX Grand Tourer
I will respectfully disagree with you. I am sticking to 3000 mi OCI with this Subaru. Fuel dilution at 3000mi with this engine is borderline thinning the viscosity. Maybe you guys drive differently but I would hate to see the fuel dilution at the recommended 6k OCI. 😳I'm erring on the side of caution here. Oil is cheap in the grand scheme of things.😎
Next oil change I'm switching to Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0W-20. I won't be surprised if the titanium magically reduces or disappears altogether when I sample it!

I will respectfully disagree with you. I am sticking to 3000 mi OCI with this Subaru. Fuel dilution at 3000mi with this engine is borderline thinning the viscosity. Maybe you guys drive differently but I would hate to see the fuel dilution at the recommended 6k OCI. 😳I'm erring on the side of caution here. Oil is cheap in the grand scheme of things.😎
Next oil change I'm switching to Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0W-20. I won't be surprised if the titanium magically reduces or disappears altogether when I sample it!
IMO, it’s doubtful that there would be much difference in fuel at a longer interval.

There have been 2k mile uoa’s posted here from FA20DIT WRX’s and the fuel was just as high as it was on a longer interval.

Ok the cat is outta of the bag! My Schaeffer sales rep told me that there has never been Titanium in the 0W-20. Well I finally heard back from Schaeffer technical support and what I was told by the sales rep was false. They used Titanium in the 0W-20 until early 2022 so my case obviously has a batch of the Titanium laced oil. She said it takes a while for the old formula stock to be depleted. I got the case of oil I'm currently using in spring of 2022. That explains it.👏 I'm glad to finally get to the bottom of it. You guys were right. Thanks!

IMO, it’s doubtful that there would be much difference in fuel at a longer interval.

There have been 2k mile uoa’s posted here from FA20DIT WRX’s and the fuel was just as high as it was on a longer interval.
Good to know! If I get brave enough I may try a longer OCI.👍😂

VOA/question answered.

Why such frequent changes?

Back