22 range rover sport p525 oil change? which oil can i use

hello, i live far from the dealer and they said as long as the mecahnic shop uses correct fluid and produces a work order i can get my oil change done at a non dealer

however with some googling it seems like castrol edge professional is all i can use for this truck? and it seems like i can't really find that

is there any other easy to obtain oil for this truck? its the 5.0l v8 supercharged

thx

What does the owners manual recomment? That is a fancy vehicle and I would not guess on the oil choice.

That Castrol Edge Professional E 0W-20 is what the doctor prescribes for that baby. It sounds fancy but any oil that carries the Land Rover STJLR.51.5122 specification in 0W-20 is what is called for.

OP, what is your location?

I'll assume that your Range Rover V8 requires the same oil as my 2021 Jaguar F Type. Castrol Edge Professional 0w-20 oil and Castrol Edge Professional EC5 0W-20 oils are NOT the same. The EC5 blend is specially made for JLR and only available through Jaguar/Land Rover dealerships and that oil meets the latest STJLR.03.5006 specification. The STJLR.51.5122 specification has been obsolete for several years now.

From discussions on the Jaguar owners forum, Liqui Moly Top Tec 6600 SAE 0W-20 oil also meets the latest STJLR.03.5006 specification.according to Liqui Moly's website so that is an acceptable alternative to the Castrol oil and may be available online.

As FowVay mentions above, where are you located ?

Accoridng to one UK Land Rover oil supplier

"Castrol Edge Professional E C5 0W-20 has been superseded by the new and improved product - CASTROL EDGE PROFESSIONAL EC 0W-20"

Castrol EDGE Professional EC 0W-20
is suitable for use in automotive gasoline and diesel engines where the manufacturer recommends an ACEA C5 0W-20 lubricant. Castrol EDGE Professional EC 0W-20 is approved for use in Jaguar Land Rover vehicles that require a Jaguar Land Rover engine oil specification STJLR.03.5006, STJLR.51.5122 0W-20 lubricant.

Product Performance Claims

ACEA C5 Jaguar Land Rover Engine oil specification STJLR.03.5006, STJLR.51.5122

I am in canada, any other oils that easily meet STJLR.03.5006 ?
maybe something more easily/readily available?

also any idea on oil filter part/recommendation?

thx

For what it is worth, taken directly from the USA Land Rover web site page regarding approved oils:

To meet the latest specifications and for optimum performance, Land Rover exclusively recommends Castrol EDGE Professional for your vehicle, their strongest oil yet.

This oil is boosted with a unique liquid titanium mixture which prevents oil film breakdown and reduces friction. This means your Land Rover can reach peak performance while lowering CO2 emissions and potentially saving fuel. Every vehicle we produce is filled with Castrol EDGE Professional before leaving the factory because it works in harmony with your Land Rover’s engine.

You can talk to your Land Rover Approved Service Centre today to purchase Castrol EDGE Professional for your Land Rover.”

so contact the Land Rover and ask them exactly what oil to use, why take a chance on a denial for future warranty work because the wrong oil was used.

best plan is i will purchase all oil and parts from the dealer and then just take to a local to get it done
anyone who has this 5.0 v8 engine any idea on the oil capacity? is it 9 quarts i need or 8?

thx

Double check your oil capacity in your owners manual. If it is the same as my 2021 Jaguar with the 5 liter V8 it will be 6.9 quarts, Buy 8 quarts so you have some extra in case the engine burns a little during the break in period which is not unusual. And be careful not to overfill it. Unfortunately JLR has done away with a traditional dipstick and only has an electronic oil level readout which I find less than ideal. Rather than checking your oil cold while parked on a level surface with a dipstick, the procedure is to check it about 20-30 minutes after turning off a warm engine and if the readout is anywhere between the half and overfilled marks it is considered good.

Back