22 long rifle, revisited

nothing has changed regardng 22lr. in early 1960’s my dad enrolled my brother and i in a nra shooting program for kids. one night, after a couple of post-work martinis, he got a bit testy with us yakking too loudly about playing soldier. he landed on omaha beach on 6/6/44 and gave us a bluntly graphic earful on how war isn’t a game and what firearms can do to the human body. he wanted us to know the right way around real firearms. the nra gave us lots of excellent instruction (better than what the army gave me not ten years later), which started and ended with safety always, including the 22lr’s one mile kill distance.

The added benny of a 22 is you can put 10 rounds into an offending forehead in seconds with little effort.

Several YouTube videos of guys hog hunting with 22LR, and they’re bringing home the bacon with one shot kills.

i expect a caliber “flame war” to commence in 3, 2, 1… so i will get a head start.

for a good many folks, perhaps of a certain age or with some infirmities, which makes them a softer target, well-practiced, accurate and reliable 22lr firearm can serve a useful defensive purpose.

soft recoil, soft on the wallet, 22lr makes lots of practice fun and easy. more practice breeds confidence and “makes perfect.” absent concussive shock waves, shrapnel and proximity fuses, only hits count. unsure deployment, spray and pray, inaccurate & unpracticed shots put the innocent at risk.

the task of a normal civilian’s defensive firearm is most often to break contact with the threat to “get off the ambush’s x.” if one’s most likely threats are a 300lb maniac methhead or a gang-banger crew of home invaders then indeed one needs stronger tools.

22lr is a perfect starter and learning caliber. if one isn’t a soldier, cop, guard or big game hunter, and is a normal civilian suburbanite, a 22lr firearm can be one and done too.

My occasional carry when I wore suits was a Walter .22....could tuck in the lower inside pocket of a fitted suit and would be barely noticeable.

My dearly missed Uncle was in the arms business and would often field the 'what is the best carry gun' types questions. His answer was typically '...whatever you can comfortably carry around and reliably draw, aim and fire repeatedly without ear protection at the most unexpected, worst possible moment in the worst possible place...like a parking garage stairwell while holding bags'. A small, quality semi .22 answers a lot of those questions.

One of the gun mags did a video on .22lr defensive loads. I can't seem to locate it now though...will try later.

I have 7 pistols and 6 of them are .22 caliber. Cheap ammo and I do not have to buy all different sizes for my pistol's. The other is a 9mm Glock pistol. It's amazing the range of a .22.
I travel fairly remote in my Jeep … Ruger SS with the .22 WMR wheel goes with me …
Far better than nothing … And still cheap enough to plink cans for practice …

My 3 favorites, my 22 snubnose revolver,38 snubnose revolver, and a glock 40 cal....depends on my mood which one I carry......watch the news, its best to carry something of your choice, imho

Federal punch will pass clear through a 16-inch gel block out of a 22 revolver, that's enough penetration to go right through a person

that has to hurt ALOT and would discourage most people from continuing the behaviour that you want them to stop

and no .22 is not comparable to .454 casull, but it is underrated for close in personal defence

Those Federal Punch .22LR aren't even hollow point. I'd like to see what they do in the gel block if they were hollow points.

Those Federal Punch .22LR aren't even hollow point. I'd like to see what they do in the gel block if they were hollow points.
1) expand and stop
2) impart all of their energy to the gel...

"discourage..." as a previous poster eloquently stated(y)

Odd that they are not offered in HP. Maybe they are concerned about adequate penetration through clothing, etc.??

Back