22 G63 AMG already burned 1qt of oil on first 1000 miles?

hey yall, had my 22 g63 for just a month or so now. I picked it up from a dealer that was 200 miles away so the first 50 miles ish on it was probably city driven, and then after that even tho not recommended (some say constant speed highway driving bad for break in) was sadly highway driven home.
i went on another road trip with it once again and the past 200-300 miles on it had been mostly city and i started going harder on it.

im at about 1000 miles on the clock and i believe now it should be broken in, but today i got a message about "low oil add 1 qt"
i waited a few hrs before adding any oil since it was only 1qt low ( out of a 9qt sump or whatever) just incase the sensor was buggy, and then added in half a quart and now am between min and maximum

i never checked the oil when i first got it, so maybe it was low from factory but i bet it is more likely that it burned qt

however this has never happened to me on a brand new vehicle, anyone else have this with an engine like this? or could this be a consequence of a bad break in due to the highway driving? if so, any way to resurrect my engine?

thx

It depends on the engine. Some are more sensitive than others to breakin procedures. Some require high cylinder pressures during breakin in order to seat the piston rings with the cylinder bores. If you don't do that, a glaze can build up which prevents proper seal and the only way to fix that is to rehone the cylinders. Other engines are not sensitive to this, don't require it.

I would wait for the next 1000 miles and see what happens before you worry. Sometimes these engines eat oil in the first 1k then should stop. Did you vary the speed or engine rpms on your highway drive home? I bought a new Harley in Rapid City, SD and had to try to vary the speeds on those open highways out there. It was very difficult. I used different gears and sometimes went 50mph on those wide open hwys. Guess it worked because it never used oil.

No way to say because you don't know the initial oil level. Top it off to the full mark and then going forward you can say how much oil is being consumed. Keep us posted.
As MRC01 says, many things depend on the engine and how it is driven the first few hundred miles. It is common for some engines to use oil during the break-in period, during which oil control will typically improve but not always. Other engines never use any significant oil from brand new, other engines use oil their entire lives without issue. Unfortunately most manufacturers claim that a certain rate of oil consumption is normal and these "normal" oil rates can be staggering (up to 1 quart per 800 miles). This is nonsense. We are in 2023 and it is possible to build an engine that runs well for a long time without consuming such quantities of oil, especially when the "low maintenance" feature is a selling point for new vehicles. A low maintenance vehicle should not require 6 quarts of top-off oil during the service interval. My $0.02

What is the acceptable oil consumption figure in the oils manual. Check that first. If it's burning more than specified don't add oil and take it back to the stealer.

Always check the oil in new or used vehicles. You'll know more after a 2,000 miles. Hopefully its not an oil user.

During the break in, I wouldn’t worry about it. Wait until the first change, check the level, then track consumption. Be certain that the engine is warm and you have waited five minutes to check.

Also, and this is important, that level sensor is very, very sensitive to the car being level.

There is a gas station in town where mine reads “add 1 quart” when at that station‘s pumps, which appear to have level concrete.

But in any other level spot, it says “oil level OK”.

Interstate hwy and rural roads here are so hilly your rpm constantly changes and here it wouldn't be a worry.. My German car was delivered as new on the lowest line on the dipstick. Just watch it like the others said.

In my lady's GTS 4.0, it got the low oil mark at around 3500 miles, but I don't think the oil was filled to the full mark from the factory. Went to autozone and bought a quart of M1 espx3 0w-40, and sure enough the level was at the full mark. From the Porsche forums, this seems to be a trend until the 5-10k mark. In contrast, my SS burned nothing in the first 750 miles (very careful with the break in but no babying) when I changed the oil. 1k miles later oil hasn't burned a drop either.

IMO it might be internet noise but I'd seen multiple times the more High power options such as AMG can use quite abit in the first 5k-10k and often use more oil than the common engine choices by design.
not sure if that would hold true on a 2022.

I think @Astro14 's advice is spot on.

Some posters think this is normal? 1 quart in 1000 miles?? I don't. None of my VW did this so the German car excuse doesn't sound right to me. But hey, i could be wrong and someone will correct me on MB AMG consumption.
However, it is early and you didn't check it when bought so there's lots of conjecture. I'd wait to see if the car signals "low" again after the next ~1000 miles now that you've made it level before consulting the dealership.

Last edited:
Some posters think this is normal? 1 quart in 1000 miles?? I don't. None of my VW did this so the German car excuse doesn't sound right to me. But hey, i could be wrong and someone will correct me on MB AMG consumption.
However, it is early and you didn't check it when bought so there's lots of conjecture. I'd wait to see if the car signals "low" again after the next ~1000 miles now that you've made it level before consulting the dealership.
We don’t know where the level started.

We don’t know if the “add” is accurate (mine can be off).

So, we don’t know what the true consumption looks like.

My Mustang drank 2 liters in the first 1,600 K which somewhat freaked out. I drained the factory 5w-20 swill and replaced it with Amsoil 10w-30 SS. The oil consumption stopped after the first oil change and it's been fine ever since. I would top it up and monitor and see what happens.

hey yall, had my 22 g63 for just a month or so now. I picked it up from a dealer that was 200 miles away so the first 50 miles ish on it was probably city driven, and then after that even tho not recommended (some say constant speed highway driving bad for break in) was sadly highway driven home.
i went on another road trip with it once again and the past 200-300 miles on it had been mostly city and i started going harder on it.

im at about 1000 miles on the clock and i believe now it should be broken in, but today i got a message about "low oil add 1 qt"
i waited a few hrs before adding any oil since it was only 1qt low ( out of a 9qt sump or whatever) just incase the sensor was buggy, and then added in half a quart and now am between min and maximum

i never checked the oil when i first got it, so maybe it was low from factory but i bet it is more likely that it burned qt

however this has never happened to me on a brand new vehicle, anyone else have this with an engine like this? or could this be a consequence of a bad break in due to the highway driving? if so, any way to resurrect my engine?

thx
2021 Metris bought brand new from the dealer went through a few litres of Mobil 1 0W-40 before service A.
That consumption has since stopped with service B due this coming Wednesday. Currently 30K kms on the clock...

Last edited:
Back