22 dead in Pakistan after being stuck in their cars during cold temperatures

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a new colleague from South Africa. He used to drive long distances in prairie winters but had no concept of winter survival preparations.

So I sat him down and gave him a short course on survival if trapped on the road by a blizzard. It happens. You should be able to survive for a couple of days at least. You never let your fuel tank get below half. You ration the fuel to warm the vehicle every few hours. You make sure the exhaust doesn't get blocked by snow. You bring along warm clothes (parka, hat, mitts, underwear, warm socks and boots) and a subzero sleeping bag. You carry a candle or two, matches and high energy rations. And you never head off on a road you don't know or try to walk for help unless you can see a building that has smoke coming out of the chimney.
All good advice. Heard the same 50 years ago in Winnipeg.

Still keep a bag in my truck: fleece, coat, hat, gloves, scarf, blanket, MREs, water, Clif Bars.

People in Virginia used to laugh at my level of preparation.

Doubt they’re laughing any more…

I keep a hat , mittens and a blanket in my wife's trunk in the winter months for just in case . For me I don't need it I'm tuff .

Perhaps a good lesson for some of us. Obviously Pakistan is a Third world country but always be prepared to take care of yourself. The time is coming where we may be in their shoes.
It’s already here. It’s always been here.

Look at what happened on I-95 in Virginia last week.

People think that because we have more information at our fingertips now that disaster, or even just the unexpected, won’t happen to them.

They‘re wrong.

8B00D400-BADE-4C11-9218-4F964AE2A965.png

I'm not crazy about Michigan weather but we don't have poisonous snakes, killer spiders, alligators, sharks. But I still have a beaver that is giving me hell.

Looked it up, but Michigan has poisonous snakes and black widow spiders.

However, states or countries are just lines on a map. They're rarely monoliths. I get that many think that Arizona and New Mexico are 100% deserts, but they also have ski resorts.

Perhaps a good lesson for some of us. Obviously Pakistan is a Third world country but always be prepared to take care of yourself. The time is coming where we may be in their shoes.

If they had cars, they were people of reasonable means. There's a massive income disparity, where being middle class usually means being able to afford to pay for servants.

Looked it up, but Michigan has poisonous snakes and black widow spiders.

However, states or countries are just lines on a map. They're rarely monoliths. I get that many think that Arizona and New Mexico are 100% deserts, but they also have ski resorts.
Well we have rattlesnakes but their poison is nothing , I've caught them and moved them .
Have a friend that got bit by a recluse spider , wasn't good . It was in a package from China .
Michigan had buffalo also but that was 300 years ago

Well we have rattlesnakes but their poison is nothing , I've caught them and moved them .
Have a friend that got bit by a recluse spider , wasn't good . It was in a package from China .
Michigan had buffalo also but that was 300 years ago

I wouldn't want to be charged by a moose.

Or a wolverine..never seen one, but they look terrifying

There was one sighted in the Lake Tahoe area. Nobody knows exactly how it got there, but I think researchers grabbed its poop and DNA analysis showed it was descended from a population from Idaho.

I've seen plenty of animals that could theoretically be dangerous. Bears (check out my avatar photo - I took it), buck deer, turkeys (I hear they can be really nasty in some places), and even raccoons. But the absolutely scariest was a possum that I saw on the side of the road. I'm pretty sure it was still alive, but it looked absolutely still and was sitting up with its eyes were wide open and its mouth slightly open where it was baring its teeth.

My weekly trips to Stowe VT start Tuesday. In my car are blankets, old down parkas, hats, down gloves, water and energy bars.

The gas tank never gets below 1/2 full. 2 gallons of washer fluid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back