'22 Accord Hybrid - 70% Oil Life @ 4k+ Miles?

I got a '22 Accord Hybrid back in January. I currently have about 4,300 miles with the Maintenance Minder showing 70% oil life remaining. I've always followed the MM in all my Honda's but I'm a little bit thinking about doing more frequent OCIs with this car. I know the ICE runs far less with the hybrid and that it doesn't work as hard or stay as higher RPM as an ICE-only vehicle but I'm still considering doing just an oil change at around 5k-6k miles then waiting for the Maintenance Minder to get below 15% and do a oil and filter change, resetting the MM at that time so that the rest of the maintenance reminders stay in sync. At the rate I'm going, I'll likely be over 12k miles before getting to 15%. Anyone think this is a good plan, or would just letting it ride until the MM gets to 15%?

Is this current oil the factory fill?
If so, change in now or soon. I don't mean...OH HURRY UP! :eek:
I just mean that if it is indeed the factory fill of oil & filter, consider changing it out soon or maybe by 5000 miles.
Others may disagree but, this is just my 2✌️cents.
I'm not for running the factory fill to 10K miles.

I have two Hondas of the earth dreams technology however both without a turbo feature

in my experience, I could be wrong, but my take of MM% its something from the get go that means it is something that sticks to the car from the start, it really doesn't matter whole a lot how I drive; I've changing mine at 40% always and that is after 5K miles OCI on both cars

I've always followed the MM in all my Honda's

I know the ICE runs far less with the hybrid

and that it doesn't work as hard or stay as higher RPM as an ICE-only vehicle
You just gave (3) reasons justifying why not to change it early, then turn around and plan to change it early. If you want opinions, you might as well flip a coin - 1/2 will say follow the MM and 1/2 will say "change it early". If Honda's engineers - the ones that know best - felt changing the oil early the first time was necessary, they'd program the MM to do that. They don't.

The Honda engineers are well educated in these areas. leave it alone and fallow the MM, or do as you please. it really doesn't matter. both my Hondas have been the 10-15% of the Maintance wonder with supertech oil without issue. civic is well over 200K and the accord is pushing 40K. same oil, same Bosch filter.

Just let it run down to 15% on the current fill. A common symptom of BITOGitis is the want to change the oil either way sooner than you need to or run it way longer than you probably should because of course we need to squeeze every last penny out of everything we buy or else we ain't using it enough! 😊
Ha! Nailed it!

One group acts as though engines are fragile and require constant and diligent babying to survive. The other that motor oil is an overly expensive, precious resource which mustn’t be squandered at all costs.

If you've had this car since January and already have put 4.3k miles on it then you use it a lot. I've had my 2021 since October of 2020 and I have 6k mi on it and it tells me to change the oil that every 4-5k or so. Yours being the better NA 2.0 it doesn't abuse oil like the turbo but I don't know if it's gdi or not. But I believe it can do what the olm says. Id just switch to a m1 ep for a few bucks more and go the full length but on the factory fill I'd probably change it at 25% life remaining.

Where the 15% comes from? Does Honda manual suggest that?
Honda car engines have been known as of late for using oil and high fuel % in oil. To say engineers know best is kind of misleading in this case. Why not just send a sample in and find out what course of action you want to take.

I have a 2014 Accord Hybrid. I changed the factory fill at 5,000 and have changed per the oil monitor at 15%, after. No problems to date. Same drivetrain as the new one, though they tweaked it a bit for a few more horsepower. I use synthetic oils and it works out to about a 10,000 mile change.

Pretty normal for the hybrid, probably because of the reduced operating time, and less transient operations on the engine.

I know our 2014 odyssey pretty consistently gets the OCI around 5k, while our 2015 accord hybrid takes 10-14k to do an oci. Because of this I change the filter on the accord every time, but the filter on the odyssey every other (which is acceptable per Honda).

Where the 15% comes from? Does Honda manual suggest that?
As I recall, when it gets to 15%, it pops up at start-up as a reminder that it's getting close. Before that, you have to do in a menu to get the oil life % remaining.

Honda car engines have been known as of late for using oil and high fuel % in oil. To say engineers know best is kind of misleading...
While oil dilution isn't desired, has it caused damage ? Honest question. Some amount of oil dilution is acceptable and the bad cases Honda ran into were just a bad combination of short-trips, colder climates, etc. Could Honda have tested/discovered this before ? Yeah, but they didn't.

Thanks for the input. I'll probably just follow the Maintenance Minder, it hasn't let me down yet. Changing it at 15% is probably enough "extra insurance" versus letting it go all the way to 0%.

Thanks for the input. I'll probably just follow the Maintenance Minder, it hasn't let me down yet. Changing it at 15% is probably enough "extra insurance" versus letting it go all the way to 0%.
It may not drop to 15% until 10K or more. Also, the countdown on the newer ones will also change based on time; it will drop to 0 by 12 months. So, don’t be surprised if the countdown is not linear.

Welcome to BITOG 🎉

The Hybrid Accord doesn't have the awful turbo, so you don't have to worry about that :)

You're on track to drive 12k in a year or by the end of the year, so there is no problem there, either. If it doesn't get down to 15% by the end of the year, or if the light doesn't come on by then, then change the oil. Honda doesn't want you to do the first oil change until it's time (15% or one year) due to a special break-in additive they use in the factory fill.

Back