21K Miles 1996 Volvo 855 SSO 0W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vehicle----------1996 Volvo 855, NA 2.5L, 5 cyl
OIL-------------6.5 qt Amsoil SSO 0W-30
oil added------approx 1 qt
oil filter----------Amsoil EAO41
air filters---------WIX
miles on oil/filter------21K (apprx 19 months)
miles on vehicle--129,000+

UOA by Oil Analyzers:Current - ACD 10w-30 10370 (apprx 16 months)
iron------------------- 13 - 5
chromium------------- 1- 0
lead------------------- 3- 0
copper---------------- 7 - 2
tin-------------------- 1 - 0
aluminum------------- 7 - 6
nickel----------------- 0 - 0
silver----------------- 0 - 0
silicon---------------- 4 - 9 (previous 8,6,1)
boron---------------- 19 - 5
sodium--------------- 7 - 0
magnesium------------ 16 - 26
calcium-------------- 3432 - 3785
barium--------------- 0 - 0
phosphorus----------- 706 - 1180
zinc------------------- 877 - 1339
molybdenum----------- 7 - 38 (left over from previous blend fill)
titanium--------------- 0 - 0
vanadium-------------0 - 0
potassium------------ 0 - 0
fuel----------------- 6.3% (yikes) visc100-------------- 8.0 (yikes) 9.94 (sheared just a little)
water----------------0
soot/solids---------- n/a
change---------------YES
nitr------------------ 35 - 9.0
oxid----------------- 42 - 9.0
TBN------------------ 4.32 - 8.07

I have this in my saab right now, surely over 10k miles. Computer claims 30% life left... Better run a UOA, as my car asks for an LL A3 rated oil, and if Im at 8 cst, then I have a problem... Hopefull I dont have the same fuel dilution though.

All the same, for yours, very nice, given the obvious problems.

Last edited:
Pretty good - but 6.3% fuel?
shocked2.gif

You do a lot of short trip driving? Other than shearing and fuel, everything looks good. Especially considering 21K and 19 months.

Well - it's the lawn mower syndrome (don't assume you know what that means) - it's a common 850 NA problem.

I started the car cold and drove it from the front yard to the back and drained the oil. I thought the fuel would be a bit high.....but this must be some kind of record!! It really smelled of fuel and appeared quite thin. Good thing I didn't have a stogie going.

My MPG has not changed.

Does Oil Analyzers use the "closed cup" method of testing for fuel?

6.3% fuel dilution and a TBN of at least 4+ after 21,000 miles?

C'mon, Pablo. You know to get that oil up to operating temp before changing it, especially when you're drawing a sample for a UOA.

Actually not sure what the new Utah lab uses.

Yep. The oil did fine.

Yes I know, but I just don't have time any more. I just had time to change the oil, but not drive for 15 minutes.

Originally Posted By: panthermike
You do a lot of short trip driving? Other than shearing and fuel, everything looks good. Especially considering 21K and 19 months.

I don't think the oil actually sheared, just diluted big time.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: panthermike

I don't think the oil actually sheared, just diluted big time.

I see, either way it looks like the oil did its job.

Lawn mower syndrome, is that when one has to move the car to get the mower out of the garage, start it up, drive 30 feet and shut it down?

Even with the shearing and the high fuel, those wear numbers are simply incredible! This Volvo engine will easily last 500k at this rate! (if you don't get sick of the car before then)

Originally Posted By: Spector
Lawn mower syndrome, is that when one has to move the car to get the mower out of the garage, start it up, drive 30 feet and shut it down?

Nailed it.

Originally Posted By: Pablo

I started the car cold and drove it from the front yard to the back and drained the oil.

Pabs,

you should know better.
spankme2.gif

Me too. SSO/ASM seem to be their best PCMO's right now. Great results!

Not a bad run at all, Pablo, and considering the insults the oil endured, it did well. But, I feel the ACD did a LOT better, for a lot less 'cost'.

How long are you planning on running the DEO for in this car?

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Not a bad run at all, Pablo, and considering the insults the oil endured, it did well. But, I feel the ACD did a LOT better, for a lot less 'cost'.

How long are you planning on running the DEO for in this car?

Why do you think the ACD did better?

10K probably.

The SSO did a little more than double the mileage of the ACD, but a lot of the wear metals are well more than double, so on a strict PPM/mile comparo, the ACD did better.

Yes, Yes, I know, its miniscule amounts, but still, its there.

And yes, I know, OVERALL SSO is a better oil - better cold weather properties, better fuel mileage...but I just looked at what i could see in front of me, which was the PPM counts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back