215/70-15 98H or 205/75-15 98H

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon

I just picked up a used 2003 Kia Sedona minivan.

This thing takes 215/70-15 (load range 98, H speed rating) or 205/75-15's. Winter tires are HARD to find, apparently because of the load range. This van is HEAVY and needs tires with a heavy load range.

I've had Blizzak's before, loved them, and because we do summer/winter tire/wheel sets we get 4-5 seasons out of a set (at least). They also wear fast.

I'm kinda thinking about Green Diamond, Nokian, Kumho K11's, or something else (suggest something!)

I won't say that cost is no object, but tires are cheap and cars aren't (and my family is on board).

So, please help me find a quality tire that will work best for me. BTW, the van does not have traction control.

If you like the Blizzaks and they last you a few years, I think you're doing well with them and should stick with what works. Tires like the Blizzak WS-50 are probably among the best for maximum snow/ice traction above all else partially because of the special microcellular rubber compound used, assuming you used a tire like this. One Yokohama tire also uses this technology, but there are probably quite a few good tires you could choose and be perfectly fine with...

Go with 205/75 as you want narrower sizes for winter, not wider. You do not have to perfectly match the original load rating as long as you do not plan to load up the van and use it to haul something very heavy. Being a heavy minivan they specify an extra load tire because once you add up the van plus cargo, it would exceed what "normal" minivans would require, but you should be fine if you don't load it up too heavily. Put more air in the tires if you like.

Well, there are a few downsides to the Blizzak's. The first is tire wear - once you hit about 50% all you have is a pretty good all-season or an OK winter tire, and that happens pretty quickly (10-15K miles based on some estimates).

I found out recently that the Bridgestone Winter Dueler DM-Z2 tires are basically Blizzak's for light trucks, and they happen to have stiffer sidewalls and the load rating I need.

I've pretty much narrowed my choices down to:

Bridgestone Winter Dueler DM-Z2 (about $85/each)
Nokian Hakkapelitta SUV - ???
Nokian WR AWP2 - ($115-120/each)

I can't find any load ratings on the Green Diamonds, so until I do they are off of the list.

The Kumho KW-11's I'm told are pretty good, better than the Dunlop Graspic DS-2's and about as good or better than the Michelin X-ICE.

The Kumho's and Michelin's *might* get back on the list, but although Michelin's balance out well, they haven't impressed me lately, and I'm told Kumho can be a "cheaper" (not as high quality) tire.

Hmmmmm...

Well, Green Diamond comes back with a TS960 (not on their website) but with a load rating of 97T (the manual calls for 98H).

98H equates to 1653lbs and 130mph
97T equates to 1609lbs and 118mph

It's either this or the Hakka SUV.

Price difference is $15-20/tire.

What would you do?

Between the two I'd go with the Nokian Hakka myself as they are reputedly hard to beat, but if you want to try something less proven and new, them maybe try the Green Diamonds. Some people have reservations about their use of old Michelin (MXV?) tire carcasses though.

I went with the Hakka SUV's. I'll let you all know how they perform. Now I have to find rims.

Long since ordered by the time I read your reply.

Tirerack.com was $38/rim and discounttire.com was $44, and I was able to get wheel covers at $25/set. With shipping they were $48/rim+covers.

Tirerack.com also included all necessary fastening hardware (nuts, etc.) for free and at discounttire.com it was $45. However, I'll keep them in mind for the future.

These tires are AWESOME. Great sidewall (at least, compared to the Blizzak's), and wet-weather performance is very good, not very noisy at all.

I'll post again when I have snow or ice to write about.

Not one to resurrect a thread, but:

we *still* have the Hakka II SUV tires.
They are dedicated winter tires, so that means they only get used 4 months out of the year (Nov through March). I've got approximately 40,000 to 45,000 miles on the tires.
They are probably 1/2 to 2/3 gone. They are PHENOMENAL tires. Unbeatable traction, handling (great sidewall!), etc...

I see no reason to ever buy any other kind of snow tire again.

Last edited:
Michelin and Kelly make a 98T spec'd tire - the HydroEdge and Navigator Touring Gold. But they are NOT winter tires.

Last edited:
The HydroEdge is reputed to be an excellent tire. But pricey.
I'm thinking ether Toyo Extensa A/S or Hankook Optimo H727.
The former is 98T and the latter is 97T. The OEM tires were 98 but spec'd for 130mph.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back