'21 VW GLI - VW 0w20 UOA - 3000 miles / 4700 kms

Hey guys,

So here is my oil analysis report for my '21 GLI DSG. It's completely stock engine and transmission, with the exception of stock airbox mod, but still with OEM air filter.

I bought the car brand new on Sep 21 with 20 miles on it.
First oil (Factory) and filter changed at 1500 miles in Feb 2022 - bought OEM VW 508.00 0w20 and OEM filter.
The car is currently running on its second oil. Total mileage is around 4500 miles (7200 km)

I usually drive it normally / semi-spiritedly on public roads, and I also have 2 track sessions (7+ hrs on track), second event was VERY hot, and decided to take a sample.

I usually do not warm up the engine, just start up and go. However, I always keep RPMs below 2500 rpm if the oil temp is below 75c - 170f.

Oil temps were 250 F (max) in the first event (outside temp was 25c - 75F), and never seen more than 260 F in the second event, and it was almost 100 F (35c) day.

Didn't have a chance to upload the second track event video, will do that soon.

Untitled.png

This also shows 0w20 (508.00) can handle track days and extreme conditions with no problem, at least for the MK7 GTI and GLIs, and probably 1.8 TFSIs as well. I could have run the oil more, but have to do the annual oil change (for warranty purposes) and will take it to the dealer today.

I didn't pay extra for TBN testing, as I'm not aiming to extend OCI. Instead, my OCIs will be every 5k miles, half of what VW recommends. It seems it'd be pretty safe even if I take it to track multiple times a year.

I'll keep using VW 508.00 0w20 till the end of the drivetrain warranty, for the next 4 years. There is no other 508 oil readily available here in Canada, and available ones are more expensive than the dealer.

Let me know your thoughts.

Last edited:
I've never seen a VW 508 UOA where it didn't appear the oil held up just fine and this one is no exception. I've been running the dealer oil as well, if I purchase on line and pick up in person I can get it for just over 6 bucks a quart, a very affordable option.

Hey guys,

So here is my oil analysis report for my '21 GLI DSG. It's completely stock engine and transmission, with the exception of stock airbox mod, but still with OEM air filter.

I bought the car brand new on Sep 21 with 20 miles on it.
First oil (Factory) and filter changed at 1500 miles in Feb 2022 - bought OEM VW 508.00 0w20 and OEM filter.
The car is currently running on its second oil. Total mileage is around 4500 miles (7200 km)

I usually drive it normally / semi-spiritedly on public roads, and I also have 2 track sessions (7+ hrs on track), second event was VERY hot, and decided to take a sample.

I usually do not warm up the engine, just start up and go. However, I always keep RPMs below 2500 rpm if the oil temp is below 75c - 170f.

Oil temps were 250 F (max) in the first event (outside temp was 25c - 75F), and never seen more than 260 F in the second event, and it was almost 100 F (35c) day.

Didn't have a chance to upload the second track event video, will do that soon.

View attachment 113710

This also shows 0w20 (508.00) can handle track days and extreme conditions with no problem, at least for the MK7 GTI and GLIs, and probably 1.8 TFSIs as well. I could have run the oil more, but have to do the annual oil change (for warranty purposes) and will take it to the dealer today.

I didn't pay extra for TBN testing, as I'm not aiming to extend OCI. Instead, my OCIs will be every 5k miles, half of what VW recommends. It seems it'd be pretty safe even if I take it to track multiple times a year.

I'll keep using VW 508.00 0w20 till the end of the drivetrain warranty, for the next 4 years. There is no other 508 oil readily available here in Canada, and available ones are more expensive than the dealer.

Let me know your thoughts.
I would run it bcs. track.
Also, regardless that it looks ok, at 260-270f oil temperature, you are seriously pushing this oil. Obviously, you are doing track at low altitude as VW's usually need big cooling improvements once altitude goes up. I would say you are right at the edge with this. How long are your sessions?

you are greatly misled because as oil temps you dont realize rise your oil thins past its already thin 20W at 100 C rating!! check out savagegeese vid motor oil/fine print + misconceptions!! enjoy your car as i did my 200 thou 2001 wolfsburg 5 spd manual which is an older version of yours excepting the tranny. i would dump the free dealer oil whatever it was for 10-30 real synthetic as soon as i got home after the change. NO sludge issues ever as many had!

I would run it bcs. track.
Also, regardless that it looks ok, at 260-270f oil temperature, you are seriously pushing this oil. Obviously, you are doing track at low altitude as VW's usually need big cooling improvements once altitude goes up. I would say you are right at the edge with this. How long are your sessions?
I have just requested TBN test, hoping to hear back shortly, will share the info (for science!!! :) )

My sessions were 3-3.5 hrs per day, usually around 30-minute sessions x 5-7 times. Total track time (actually on track, not on paddock) were over 7 hours with this oil.

Last edited:
you are greatly misled because as oil temps you dont realize rise your oil thins past its already thin 20W at 100 C rating!! check out savagegeese vid motor oil/fine print + misconceptions!! enjoy your car as i did my 200 thou 2001 wolfsburg 5 spd manual which is an older version of yours excepting the tranny. i would dump the free dealer oil whatever it was for 10-30 real synthetic as soon as i got home after the change. NO sludge issues ever as many had!
There is no 10w30 available with a 508.00 or even 504.00 certificate. 508 is strictly 0w20. Again, keeping the warranty is the key here. Of course, if the oil was overheating, I'd switch it to 504.00 5w40 regardless.

It may be optimal for your 2001, but 10w30 is not a popular choice for modern VWs.

Also, how is it considered thin at 100c? It's above average. cSt is between 6.0 and 9.7 for 0w20. It's at 8.63 after 2 track sessions and 3000 miles. And believe me, it won't go below 6.0 at 130c, so it's still 20 grade.

Last edited:
There is no 10w30 available with a 508.00 or even 504.00 certificate. 508 is strictly 0w20. Again, keeping the warranty is the key here. Of course, if the oil was overheating, I'd switch it to 504.00 5w40 regardless.

It may be optimal for your 2001, but 10w30 is not a popular choice for modern VWs.

Also, how is it considered thin at 100c? It's above average. cSt is between 6.0 and 9.7 for 0w20. It's at 8.63 after 2 track sessions and 3000 miles. And believe me, it won't go below 6.0 at 130c, so it's still 20 grade.
VW504.00/507.00 is only possible in 0/5W30. VW 511.00 is 0/5W40 and heavier version of VW504.00/507.00. It is designed for RS4 and RS6, Porsche applications.
You are VERY close to limp mode. Give 1000ft in altitude and you would go into limp mode. Heavier oil would further complicate stuff as it creates more heat, BUT you have more “cushion “ with high HTHS.
Run 20% coolant 80% distilled water to improve cooling. I personally would run XW40 on track and than just pour back 0W20.

VW504.00/507.00 is only possible in 0/5W30. VW 511.00 is 0/5W40 and heavier version of VW504.00/507.00. It is designed for RS4 and RS6, Porsche applications.
You are VERY close to limp mode. Give 1000ft in altitude and you would go into limp mode. Heavier oil would further complicate stuff as it creates more heat, BUT you have more “cushion “ with high HTHS.
Run 20% coolant 80% distilled water to improve cooling. I personally would run XW40 on track and than just pour back 0W20.

Actually, I may have gone to limp mode once, the first track day - it was cooler that day though. EPC light came on. Restarted the engine, and it went away.

There was no limp mode or CEL when I took it the second time though. It did not even store CEL code, and it was very hot that day.

Does it go into limp mode based on oil temp? Back in time, I used to track Honda K20 engines on a regular basis, they had much worse heat management when it comes to oil temperature. It was constantly hitting 290-300f but oil pressure was fine. Never seen it going into limp mode.

i was NOT suggesting a 10-30 for track use, BUT if you watched the vid i noted from a pro he notes oil tests wont show everything as you shorten the life of your engine! you have NO warranty if VW checks into your ECU as they can + will if issues arise!! your car your $$$

i was NOT suggesting a 10-30 for track use, BUT if you watched the vid i noted from a pro he notes oil tests wont show everything as you shorten the life of your engine! you have NO warranty if VW checks into your ECU as they can + will if issues arise!! your car your $$$

I appreciate the input. If you are tracking your car, you are shortening the life of your engine anyways.

For me, the main parameters are oil temp, oil pressure, engine coolant temp, and of course wear metals in the oil. That's why I took a sample and get the oil analyzed. - SO FAR- the oil seems fine based on the test result.

The warranty will be void if you are using your car for competitive events. This is open lapping - there is no competition, and you cannot money shift a DSG. The drivetrain is completely stock. Chances are pretty low.

Actually, I may have gone to limp mode once, the first track day - it was cooler that day though. EPC light came on. Restarted the engine, and it went away.

There was no limp mode or CEL when I took it the second time though. It did not even store CEL code, and it was very hot that day.

Does it go into limp mode based on oil temp? Back in time, I used to track Honda K20 engines on a regular basis, they had much worse heat management when it comes to oil temperature. It was constantly hitting 290-300f but oil pressure was fine. Never seen it going into limp mode.
Actually, your timing is already pulled back at 270f even if there is no EPC. You are tracking the car, you have to go better cooling management and install preferably 19-25 row oil cooler. The first step is to dilute the coolant with more % of distilled water. That will allow the coolant radiator better heat dissipation and more efficient heat exchange in the heat exchanger between oil and coolant. Run ventilation at MAX and heat at MAX. All that might lower temperature 3-5c. But really, on track, you have to go real oil cooler. At that temperature, I would be hesitant running 0W20 (actually, I would be hesitant at all on track). 0W20 oils are geared toward fuel economy, and there is no way around that. Personally, I would run anything that is readily, cheaply available that has Porsche A40 approval (because it has an actual track testing sequence). You guys in Canada should have easy access to Pennzoil Platinum Euro or Motomaster Euro (Repackaged Pennzoil Euro).

I don’t disagree with you running the proper spec oil for many reasons, but do know that oil will be thin at the temps you are running. It may be a non issue, just be aware.

One analysis report is just a snapshot. If you are serious about all this then you should have the analysis done each change. That way you can see a trend and if you keep track logs then you would have some good information.

TBN result arrived - looking good (5.4)

Of course it would not be ideal to do even normal 10k OCI, but so far based on the evidence 0w20 held up pretty well.

We also need to consider the fact that this is the second oil as I changed factory oil early. Wear metals look pretty good imo for an engine had less than 5k miles and 2x track days.

1661462506862.png

savage also noted all their oil tests looked good BUT pulling the bearing caps showed OTHERWISE!!!

I am scared where oil pressure is at 260 with that oil, especially when pulling high G’s during cornering.
Just saw this, I haven't been online for a while.

I'm not the only one using 0w20 on a track, most modern hot hatches come with 0w20 from the factory (like the Civic Type-R), and people drive the **** out of them at track with much more power output than my GLI. At 260F, oil temps should be fine. I've seen worse temps in my previous Hondas' (300+ F) and oil pressures were all good. EA888 Gen 3 almost takes 6 qt of oil (MUCH more than typical 4 banger), so the chances when it comes to the oil starvation is pretty low, considering my GLI is not a dedicated track car and not pulling that much high G's during cornering.

Not saying 0w20 is ideal or people should use it at track, but it is just fine. I understand there will be more wear, but I should also see worse results in UOA which is not the case here.

Using anything other than 0w20 for a daily driver that just goes from A to B though (like your Atlas, for instance), it is completely unnecessary. This UOA proves that 508.00 can handle much more than what people think.

Back