20wt to 30wt with ECU tune?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im looking at an ECU piggy back that will theoretically add an additional 30hp. This wont change driving habits, but obviously is additional power when wanted. The car is spec'd for 20wt or 30wt, the former being prefered. Would any of you see a reason to go to a heavier oil to add protection? My opinion is no.

Thank you

Why don't you ask the people that designed the ECU hack, whether they evaluated the engine for thermal and mechanical effects of such ECU hack?

Or maybe the people who designed the engine in the first place, the real engineers, and not the ECU-mod kiddies, derated the engine for a reason. Maybe that reason has to do with the oil.

We really don't know. Maybe an extra 30hp means jacking up the EGTs dramatically, or increasing the fuelling of the engine (which would result in a higher fuel loading on the oil). Only an engineering evaluation of the ECU mods that you're proposing to install would say for certain.

If you're going to modify firmware, or run an engine outside of its factory settings, you can no longer rely on factory recommendations, and you should make use of oil analysis to determine an appropriate oil and an appropriate oil change interval.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
NO
+1
thumbsup2.gif
Not with that little bit of tuning.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
NO
+1
thumbsup2.gif

Either I'm going senile, or I didn't see any mention of the engine involved with this hack.. So how can we make arbitrary "YES" or "NO" answers?

Originally Posted By: pitzel
Originally Posted By: StevieC
NO
+1
thumbsup2.gif

Either I'm going senile, or I didn't see any mention of the engine involved with this hack.. So how can we make arbitrary "YES" or "NO" answers?

2.0 L I4 NA w/5spd

Why don't you ask the people that designed the ECU hack, whether they evaluated the engine for thermal and mechanical effects of such ECU hack?

Or maybe the people who designed the engine in the first place, the real engineers, and not the ECU-mod kiddies, derated the engine for a reason. Maybe that reason has to do with the oil.

We really don't know. Maybe an extra 30hp means jacking up the EGTs dramatically, or increasing the fuelling of the engine (which would result in a higher fuel loading on the oil). Only an engineering evaluation of the ECU mods that you're proposing to install would say for certain.

If you're going to modify firmware, or run an engine outside of its factory settings, you can no longer rely on factory recommendations, and you should make use of oil analysis to determine an appropriate oil and an appropriate oil change interval.

As I understand things unless one changes the engine internals such that they can handle a thicker oil there is really no point in increasing the oil wt.

Taking the example of the Acura version of the Honda 2.4, it's tuned with just 10hp extra or so. The Honda takes a 20 weight, the Acura a 30 weight.

In your particular case, if the tune raises oil temps, and detonation certianly does, the increased op temp will thin the oil. 10 degrees can change the visc a whole grade...so I think you have your answer.

Mod the engine, mod the oil.

I would go with the 30wt. If this is a non-turbo engine, you're likely picking up 90% of the extra power from advanced timing. It will be more prone to detonation and the thicker oil will help if detonation occurs. Oil temps will go up, EGTs will go down with more timing.

Originally Posted By: Nederlander75

As I understand things unless one changes the engine internals such that they can handle a thicker oil there is really no point in increasing the oil wt.

Not true.

Originally Posted By: BuickGN
I would go with the 30wt. If this is a non-turbo engine, you're likely picking up 90% of the extra power from advanced timing. It will be more prone to detonation and the thicker oil will help if detonation occurs. Oil temps will go up, EGTs will go down with more timing.

I agree.
thumbsup2.gif

2.0 L I4 NA w/5spd

Wait, so just the ECU mod will give you 30 extra hp in an NA engine? OK...
LOL.gif

Wouldnt increasing octane abate oil temp rise? It has on my FI cars.

My response with regard the engine internals refers to going thicker than spec as the oil passages wouldnt carry the oil thicker than designed for.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
Taking the example of the Acura version of the Honda 2.4, it's tuned with just 10hp extra or so. The Honda takes a 20 weight, the Acura a 30 weight.

In your particular case, if the tune raises oil temps, and detonation certianly does, the increased op temp will thin the oil. 10 degrees can change the visc a whole grade...so I think you have your answer.

Mod the engine, mod the oil.

Agree 100%.

Wouldnt increasing octane abate oil temp rise? It has on my FI cars.

My response with regard the engine internals refers to going thicker than spec as the oil passages wouldnt carry the oil thicker than designed for.

Octane will help prevent detonation but has no effect on oil temps.

No worries on the oil passages with a heavier oil.

If you drive it harder with more power , there will be more heat.
So the X-30 should be great, esp for Summer.
There is no gigantic difference. If you only take advantage of the increased ignition advanced for cruising economy, the X-20 will be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back