20W50 or else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,
I have an '86 4runner with 22re non-turbo, no mods, all stock. The dealer recommends 20W50, and sometimes I get a "hmmm?" from people when I have told them what I need when asking for oil. Can I run any other weight in this vehicle besides this? What determines this?
Thanks!

Do not be Ashamed. I, too, am a 20w-50 user and Fan. Despite what you are told by the Naysayers, the stuff (20w-50) works, and works well. I have used 20w-50 in rides ranging from Toyota Celica's through 8-valve (1990) Sidekicks, to Ford Bronco 351 v-8's. Never had a problem with any of them. Oh, the Forf Bronco was unreliable, but that is because of Electrical Problems(wiring loom gone bad).

P.S.-- Don't let my nick scare you. I am a serious guy.

Thanks for the response! Oh, I'm not ashamed. I've been satisfied myself. Since I've switched to the 20w50 (synthetic) from 10w40 (synth also) when I bought it three years ago and run Auto RX twice, I rarely have to add oil compared to when I got it. I was just wondering if there were any advantages to running a lighter weight, i.e. mileage increase, better cold start, whatever... Or just stick with what I am using because that's actually the best thing for my motor. I am still learning and reading alot. Incidentally, why does it work well? Tolerances? Motor age(193k+)?

Temp and useage determine oil viscosity, although some vehicles call for very thin oils like 5W20(Ford,Honda,..)for year-round use. I am usually a "thicker is better" guy, but I only use 20W50 for my ATV. My Jeep sees 10W40 in summer and sometimes other vehicles if I'm using them to tow. Other than that, it's 5W30 (especially in winter) and 10W30.
If you were burning oil with 10W40 then going to 20w50 isn't bad. I wouldn't run it in the winter though, it's like maple syrup and wouldn't flow well when cold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back